Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#366868 - 15/06/2016 16:03 Game of Thrones questions
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
***warning! spoilers!***

I have two questions about Game of Thrones that I was hoping you guys could help me with. I figured we must have some fans of the book and/or show here. One is specific and another is just a general question.

Click to reveal..

Specific: Did Hodor need to die? It seems to me that Hodor's entire reason for being was unnecessary. In the end, yes, he held the door long enough for Bran and Meera to get a good head start. But it seems to me that the head start they gained was roughly equivalent to the amount of time that Bran and the Three-eyed raven spend hanging around in past-Winterfell looking at Willis and his horses, while Meera tried to get them to wake up. Even worse, the Three-eyed raven already knew that Bran had broken the protection around their cave, yet they decided to go back under for one last jaunt to the past? Bran, Meera, Hodor, and even the Children could have easily escaped with plenty of time. Why did they hang around?

General: After watching six seasons of Game of Thrones, I have one giant problem with all these different factions trying to rule the world: why? From everything I've seen, the entire world of GoT is pretty much the shittiest place you could ever spend time. Every single non-important character we've encountered in this entire series is either miserable, evil, or murdered. The happiest, most well-adjusted people we've met in the entire show were building a little settlement on a hill, and they got mass-murdered within a single episode. Is this the point of the story or something?

#366869 - 15/06/2016 16:51 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Is this the point of the story or something?

*GRRM Cackles quietly*

#366870 - 15/06/2016 17:02 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Specific: Did Hodor need to die? It seems to me that Hodor's entire reason for being was unnecessary.

I haven't watched the show or read the books, but social media more or less exploded over the Hodor thing, so I had to look it up at the time. One thing I noticed in my research was that he doesn't die in the books. So I would say that at least GRRM didn't think he needed to die.

I must admit, after reading the synopsis, I was impressed with the show's writers to have come up with such a clever retcon to fill in that character's history and explain how he became the way he was. Good time travel gag.

Related fun....

GoT producers apologize about Hodor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xpG74e_-94
J. R. R. Tolkien vs George R. R. Martin, Epic Rap Battles of History: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0

#366871 - 15/06/2016 19:13 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Is this the point of the story or something?

*GRRM Cackles quietly*

Yeah, that's been what I've thinking. I've been asking myself this since the first season, and nothing has changed my feelings on it yet.

Specific: Did Hodor need to die? It seems to me that Hodor's entire reason for being was unnecessary.

I haven't watched the show or read the books, but social media more or less exploded over the Hodor thing, so I had to look it up at the time. One thing I noticed in my research was that he doesn't die in the books. So I would say that at least GRRM didn't think he needed to die.

Not having read the books, I assumed the show was just farther along the storyline. Martin might not give Hodor the same end, but he could. I've heard of an encounter with him in an elevator that said as much.

#366872 - 15/06/2016 21:07 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The show has indeed advanced beyond the books. There's a quote somewhere from one of the showrunners that he was surprised when GRRM explained Hodor's fate to him.

Anyway, I'm more entranced by the Arya Stark thread. The books treated her stay in Bravos quite differently than the shows. In the books, she develops warg-like powers as we've seen in her brother. In the show she seems to instead develop Jedi fighting-with-my-eyes-closed powers. Or something like that. Again, the show is way ahead of the books on this.

#366873 - 15/06/2016 21:10 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

https://twitter.com/grrm/status/518119446490415104

I've heard the same joke told with "Steven Moffat" and/or "Seanan McGuire" in place of JKR in that joke (example: https://twitter.com/PaperClippe/status/348628253575090176 ). But I like how GRRM is telling it in the first person there.

#366874 - 15/06/2016 21:44 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
There's a quote somewhere from one of the showrunners that he was surprised when GRRM explained Hodor's fate to him.

So you're saying that the showrunners didn't make that up, that it's something GRRM had planned and just hasn't put to paper yet?

#366875 - 15/06/2016 22:56 Re: Game of Thrones questions [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

So you're saying that the showrunners didn't make that up, that it's something GRRM had planned and just hasn't put to paper yet?

Supposedly yes.

“We had this meeting with George Martin where we’re trying to get as much information as possible out of him, and probably the most shocking revelation he had for us was when he told us the origin of Hodor and how that name came about. I just remember Dan and I looking at each other when he said that and just being like, ‘Holy s–t.'”