Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371263 - 22/09/2018 17:38 Video conferencing hardware priorities
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've been trying to research this but not coming up with much.

If you were going to purchase or build a computer for the sole purpose of video conferencing, what would you focus on for hardware?

I assume I can get by with a very small ssd. After that, I don't know if I should focus on processor speed, graphics, ram, whatever. Assume Skype for Business or Zoom. Probably Zoom because I need to show more than 4 people on screen at once, which will also affect hardware decisions. I need to be able to get at least 6 people on screen at once and possibly a dozen.

What should I focus on?

#371264 - 22/09/2018 20:32 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I don’t think I’d focus on any hardware optimisation at all. Most modern hardware shouldn’t even break a sweat running that sort of workload.

All the problems I have with VOIP are down to software and poor internet connections.

#371265 - 23/09/2018 00:56 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I’d settle on the software first, then find out what their recommended specs are, if any. Also I’d look to see if they recommend a specific brand of camera and audio hardware.

#371266 - 23/09/2018 00:59 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#371283 - 05/10/2018 23:43 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: tfabris
I’d settle on the software first, then find out what their recommended specs are, if any. Also I’d look to see if they recommend a specific brand of camera and audio hardware.

That was the advice I remember my CS11 professor giving to all the noobs. “Choose tthe software first, then buy the hardware it runs on.”

That was true in 1976, still true now.

I’d call the need to see everyone on screen at once as unnecessary. You really only need to see the current speaker.

But then I remember the client is the one who sets the specs.

Edit: Hasen’t that task been solved by online web conferencing. All you need is a browser.

Edited by gbeer (05/10/2018 23:48)

#371284 - 06/10/2018 09:35 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: gbeer

Edit: Hasen’t that task been solved by online web conferencing. All you need is a browser.

Ha ha

In my experience the native or semi-native clients for the various VOIP services always work better than the in browser versions. When given the choice I always opt for the native client.

I use half a dozen different VOIP services regularly, some of them with video and they are all frequently crappy. It isn't a solved problem yet, I'm not sure why.

#371293 - 09/10/2018 12:54 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: gbeer
I’d call the need to see everyone on screen at once as unnecessary. You really only need to see the current speaker.

As you observed, what is needed is what the customer wants wink

And while I mostly agree, the person who wants to see all the people on the screen IS the current speaker. This isn't a video conference where everyone will be participating. This is for all employees - local and remote - to dial in and hear the boss.

I'll post what I ended up with soon. The 80" TV is arriving today laugh

#371294 - 09/10/2018 15:07 Re: Video conferencing hardware priorities [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dignan
... The 80" TV is arriving today
How many pixels does each of the dozen faces on screen get?