Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371618 - 01/02/2019 13:47 DVD Ripping
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I’m looking to rip some of the DVDs in my collection and put them in my Plex library.

What’s the current way folks are doing this? I’ve been out of the game for a while, so to speak. Last night I tried DVD Ripper X or something, and even though the main track was selected, I ended up with only the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Then I tried Handbrake, which I remembered had ripping capabilities in addition to re-encoding. It worked the entire night, chugging away to create the highest quality rip... and I ended up with garbage. The resulting file was the right length, but the video and audio was a complete mess.

Do you folks have something you like?

#371619 - 01/02/2019 14:10 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
MakeMKV works very well.

#371620 - 01/02/2019 14:39 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have used WinX DVD Ripper with success, on both Mac and Windows. I have paid for the Platinum edition, so I'm not sure how the free edition fares.

https://www.winxdvd.com/upgrade/dvd-ripper.htm?dr-1

#371623 - 01/02/2019 16:03 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I haven't ripped a DVD since I last had a Windows PC with a DVD drive in it -- something like 5 years ago now. But: I used to use AnyDVD, which looks to have been updated in December, so still current. Can't comment on whether it's still good, though.

I don't actually have a DVD drive in this (Linux) PC -- the case doesn't provide forward-facing drive bays, probably because there's less and less call for them, so I don't know what I'm going to do to rip DVDs (or CDs) these days.

#371625 - 01/02/2019 18:43 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Slimline external USB2 DVD/RW drives work very well. But like most of us, I've only used mine maybe twice in 6+ years now.

#371627 - 01/02/2019 19:22 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: mlord
MakeMKV works very well.

I'll try it now!

Originally Posted By: tfabris
I have used WinX DVD Ripper...

I got the name wrong. That's the first one I used that ended up giving me a 5 minute clip for some reason. I couldn't see any reason for this...

Originally Posted By: Roger
I haven't ripped a DVD since I last had a Windows PC with a DVD drive in it -- something like 5 years ago now. But: I used to use AnyDVD

I'll try that next, since I don't know if MKV is the final encoding I'd prefer. I don't think I need all the stuff it can retain... But yeah I haven't had an optical drive since I retired my desktop a couple years ago. I just use USB optical drives these days. Even those are pretty behind the times, though. Most come with mini-USB connectors on the back. Some of the more recent ones have USB3.

Slimline external USB2 DVD/RW drives work very well. But like most of us, I've only used mine maybe twice in 6+ years now.

Ha, yeah I have to dig mine out of a drawer every once and a while but that's about how often I use mine.

In the end, this all might be more trouble than it's worth. I need to decide if it's worth my time to rip any of these. I might pick my favorites and just pay for the digital version on Vudu.

#371628 - 01/02/2019 19:31 Re: DVD Ripping [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
MakeMKV works very well.

I'll try it now!

Note that MakeMKV does a pure capture from the disc, no re-encoding or compression. So, like FLAC but for videos.