Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90631 - 26/04/2002 14:53 Trouble with my PPP adapter
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Hey, I've been struggling with this new bug (?) in windows. I've never seen anything like it. When I've connected via dial up, the system sets up the ppp adapter (as shown by typing ipconfig). After I disconnect, what it *should* do is remove the ppp adapter from the list. However, half the time it does not remove it, it just converts all the values to 0.0.0.0 -- and behaves like it is disconnected. So far so good, but when i reconnect back to the internet, it sets up a *second* PPP adapter that is correctly configured, and the first ppp adapter with the 0.0.0.0's remain, causing my ip routing to be screwed up. I can't ping, can't dns, can't do anything even though that second ppp adapter looks correct, the system is defaulting on the route given by the first (0.0.0.0). I have no idea how to flush out the errant ppp adapter. I tried every option i can think of, tried deleting the route using the route command (maybe I'm using it wrong?, it refuses to delete). I tried renew, flushing the dns, etc. No luck. I tried logging out of windows xp and logging back in and it's still there. It's quite frustrating. I have to *reboot* in order for it to go back to normal. Any ideas?

Calvin

#90632 - 26/04/2002 15:06 Re: Trouble with my PPP adapter [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
On my win98 system, the PPP adapter is always present even if the modem hasn't been dialed. I think it's at 0.0.0.0 all the time until I connect to a DHCP sever with it...

Of course, you just said you're using Windows XP. And as I've already stated recently, I think it is a piece of complete and utter crap. Considered using Windows 2000 instead?

#90633 - 26/04/2002 17:19 Re: Trouble with my PPP adapter [Re: eternalsun]
tman
carpal tunnel

Yeah. I get exactly the same problem! I thought it was just a bad XP install. The only thing that fixes it as you found out is to reboot. I've given up on trying to fix it now and Micro$oft don't seem to even acknowledge this fault.

- Trevor

#90634 - 29/04/2002 13:02 Re: Trouble with my PPP adapter [Re: tman]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
The problem is I don't know how to articulate this to Microsoft.

:-(

Calvin