Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#91962 - 04/05/2002 22:52 Spiderman, Spiderman
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Just saw the movie tonight (Saturday), and was...well...dissapointed.

The action scenes were fantastic and near perfect. However, every time the characters opened their mouths was like a little more poison to kill what could have been a great movie. The script was just awful. I kinda understand if they were trying to make it hoaky like a comic book, but it was just so cheesy it was hard to take.

I'd still say go see it, but I expected better. Maybe in the next one.

#91963 - 05/05/2002 04:59 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
Of course it's going to be cheesy. The comic was cheesy. Look at the X-men movie. Same thing......

#91964 - 05/05/2002 09:05 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Satan_X]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I don't know.... compared to the disapointment of the Batman's and just about every other superhero movie made (except X-men, I thought that was cool), I think it rocked, Sam Raimi was an excellent choice for a director, and although they did make certain "enhancements" to the true story of spiderman, I didn't mind them that much.... I thought the acting was fine... Over all I give it two thumbs up... feel good hit of the summer

The only bad thing... was that I didn't relieve myself before the film... there was literally no part in that movie in which to take a piss break and not miss anything, pretty much action packed! It surpassed my expectations (basically I'd prepared myself for disapointment) I'd pay money to go see it again.

#91965 - 05/05/2002 11:39 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Satan_X]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I loved the X-Men movie, but thought it was a completely different animal. The cheesy parts of X-Men were intentionally tongue-in-cheek, but every hint of emotion in the Spiderman movie was just plain dumb and laugh-inducing.

What's more, everything in the X-Men movie looked good when not in action. Did you see the size of that Green Goblin mask? It's huge!

I also had one question about the Spiderman movie that I can't for the life of me figure out: where in God's name did he get his costume?? At one point he has a spray-painted hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants, the next he has a fully textured body suit? That kid has sewing skills, and I'm not talking webs!

*edit* Although, in the realm of superhero movies, Spiderman doesn't do all that bad. There are very few that I consider to be any good, including it, the X-Men, and the Shadow. I'm totally psyched that they're planning a Ghost Rider movie. I can't imagine the fire special effects they're going to need.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (05/05/2002 11:43)

#91966 - 05/05/2002 19:32 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I assume we saw the trailer to the Hulk. Ummm. The series was bad enough.

#91967 - 05/05/2002 19:54 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
lopan
old hand

I'll agree that the green goblin outfit wasn't that great but c'mon... his glider thingie was way cool... his bombs were pretty cool too... and I didn't think the acting was that bad, granted I thought they could have gotten a hotter leading lady but I think Toby Mcguire (I think thats how you spell it) made a great Peter Parker. As far as the emotional scenes go... it's Sam Raimi directing... the dude that did Army of Darkness "gimme some sugar baby" what did you expect

#91968 - 05/05/2002 22:16 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: lopan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

My complaints weren't really with the acting. Tobey was fine, and Willem Dafoe is cool, and Dunst was good. Everyone was fine, but the lines they had to say. Terrible. They were all wrong. Completely devoid of normal human expression.

Like I said, everything in the action scenes were just fine. This includes the glider, the bombs, and even the head of the Green Goblin. It looked much more natural in the action scenes than anywhere else. Just think about the scene where the GG has taken spidey to the rooftop after he paralyzed him. He looks far too fake that entire scene. He looked more real in the action scenes when he was computer generated!

I think Sam Raimi is great! I love the stuff he's done. I don't think he was all that great for this movie, though. I guess I liked most of the stuff he did, though.

I don't know, I just hope the second one flows better.

#91969 - 06/05/2002 05:49 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
puckalicious

No offense, but if you didn't like spiderman then don't waste your time and money on any sequels. They are never as good as the original.
Sure the movie had inconsistencies (the costume thing), corporate concessions (macy gray singing - she's on sony's label who owns the studio that made the film), and typical 'real life' hollywood oversights. The only thing that actually bothered me about the movie was when the people in the cable car weren't in free fall with the cable car - they were still firmly planted to the floor! To me that's just as bad as the standard hollywood car that will spontaneously explode with the force of a 1000 lb bomb if you accidently touch it wrong.
Even with all that I loved the movie, hands down the best comic book movie ever. F superman, F batman, x-men was pretty good though.
Oh and randy the macho man savage was a nice touch, thank goodness it wasn't hulk hogan.

#91970 - 06/05/2002 06:03 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: puckalicious]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reply to:

To me that's just as bad as the standard hollywood car that will spontaneously explode with the force of a 1000 lb bomb if you accidently touch it wrong.

Or what about the badguys that are such terrible marksmen that they can't collectively hit one guy with their automatic rifles. Then the good guy is able to pick them off one by one with his pistol.

Or what about the fighting tactics the badguys use when they try to beat up a goodguy? They outnumber the goodguy 12 to 1, yet they all patiently wait in a circle for their turn to get their ass kicked by the goodguy one at a time.

What about the mini-van that squeals it's tires without peeling out? Is that supposed to be a loose belt?

Why do cops always have to hit the emergency brake when pulling up to a crime scene, effectively locking up the back wheels and doing a neat little slide?

How can a car fly 30 ft in the air and land without being totalled?

Why does the goodguy always get laid right after/before the climax of the movie?

#91971 - 06/05/2002 06:12 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
lopan
old hand

Although I loved it.... after reading your post I'm now wondering... where the hell did the costume come from???

#91972 - 06/05/2002 07:56 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: lopan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The costume was odd, probably an explaination is sititng on the cutting room floor.

Overall I liked it, and so did enough people. By Sunday afternoon, it grossed 114 million, and based on average ticket prices, thats 20 million people who saw it. 20 million people is the seven largest cities in the US and Canada combined. Not bad at all.

Edit: Oh, who here sat through the entire credit sequence? My friends and I got a good laugh at the very end of it.

Edited by Drakino (06/05/2002 08:04)

#91973 - 06/05/2002 09:17 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite movie/TV cliche is the one where, if the computer gets a software error, the monitor blows up.

#91974 - 06/05/2002 11:55 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: tfabris]
puckalicious

Or even better, the cliche where the computer whiz hits a couple random keys and the monitor shows all kinds of animated sequences and very large easy-to-read text that look nothing like any OS and a spy satellite is hacked into and zooms in on someone in the middle of a city and you can see their face and what is in their pockets and takes a 2D picture of them which is then enhanced 3000% to read the reflection of a sign in their glasses and then they rotate the "picture" 360 degrees to see what was behind it. All with 5 keystrokes and no mouse movement.

#91975 - 06/05/2002 12:18 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: drakino]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Drakino - just because a lot of people went on opening day doesn't mean that they liked it!

#91976 - 06/05/2002 12:21 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: puckalicious]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So you're saying you can't do that? I do it all the time, what's your problem?

#91977 - 06/05/2002 14:39 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Hmm, not sure if I want to be able to do this with an OS, considering you said earlier you needed divine intervention to stop annoyning music from playing

#91978 - 06/05/2002 14:51 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: puckalicious]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
That reminds me of a story. My co-workers husband has a freind in the FBI I think it is. Anyway, during the Olympics here in Utah, his buddy took him into a van parked outside the venue, which was straight out of the movies... computer on both sides. Sat him down with another agent, then went outside. The guy zoomed in on a satellite from just the US, up until he saw his buddy's face standing outside the van. They were using it to identify any potential threats. So its not what doesn't exist, but what you don't know about!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#91979 - 06/05/2002 14:56 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Waterman981]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
You weren't supposed to tell anyone about that..

#91980 - 07/05/2002 05:25 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Waterman981]
puckalicious

I know the technology exists, my point was the shameless incorrectness of hollywood portrayal of said technology, i.e., being able to see someones face from a camera many thousands of km's directly above the subject (assuming they are not looking straight up).

#91981 - 07/05/2002 06:51 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Waterman981]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
I saw all that in Enemy of The State

so it must be true! gene hackman is an 3l33t h4x0r.

(and how they killed jason lee off in the first five minutes was lame.)

#91982 - 07/05/2002 07:09 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: Dignan]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
See, this is why I question my own values of what makes a "good movie".. follow me if you can on my little stream of consciousness babble:

ok. army of darkness.. evil dead.. old sam raimi stuff. To tell you the truth, the fire time i saw army of darkness, i hated it. i thought it was boring. but it grew on me after being forced to watch it a bunch of times, and i ended up loving it just because it was so weird and lame. so here is where i get stuck. the 'bad' qualities of army of darkness are still there. soooo many years later- in my eyes- sam raimi is still making movies like that. didn't a few parts of spiderman seem awkward? i dont know, that's just what i felt i saw. the same type of thing that i got from army of darkness. i believe a movie (that has a weak plot) has to occupy you with other things to stop the viewer from dissecting the plot. big budget special effects movies can do that. suspension of disbelief works too, but there's no "suspension of cheese" to help me with this movie

maybe i just didn't buy whats-his-name as parker. he seemed very uncomfortable in his own skin (and no, i know parker was a nerd, but his discomfort would have been genuine). the plot was weak. and i know that's because it was a comic to movie, but that kind of thing is hard to pull off. you have to take what was simple cell drawings and visualize all of this in the real world on film.. pretty tough to do and not go over the top of cheesy (batman).

I don't know. I wasn't a big spiderman fan, but some of us nerds will never be happy with film adaptations of previous works. they will never be "true to their roots", as long as we're here picking apart the mundane details.

and that brings my thoughts to another point.. they can try to do all that and be true to the source, but cinema is different from a comic. you have to make things easier to digest because you're dealing with a larger more generalized target audience. so a lot of detail gets thrown out of the equation.

#91983 - 07/05/2002 10:39 Re: Spiderman, Spiderman [Re: shadow45]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Just a note about your last point.

There are many reasons why I think Xmen was the superior example of the breed of comic book movies. For one, it didn't need to be overtly cheesy. Yes, Wolverine's hair looked kinda funny, but they craked a joke on it and moved on and you forgot about it. Eventually it looked kinda cool. The movie was also quite good at details. I know this story didn't exist in the comics, but just look. At the end of the movie Rogue has her streak of white hair. There's a mention of the future Shadowcat and you even see her leave Prof X's classroom. Same with Pyro. None of this means anything at all to the general viewing public, and I didn't even notice a little of it at first. All it did was serve the atmosphere of the movie. It helped it along while also entertaining the die-hards.

I don't know. I might be crazy but Spiderman wasn't the movie for me. I'm not saying that people won't like it. I'm saying I didn't like it very much.

I think Xmen was a much better movie.