Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93644 - 13/05/2002 15:43 Microsofts .NET
visuvius
addict

Can someone just brieifly try to explain to me what Microsofts .NET is? I went to Microsoft's website and read the "What is .Net" article and was still sort of befuddled. The reason i'm asking is because i need to write a 5 page informational report on Microsoft.

Any suggestions to other noteworthy microsoft topics would be appreciated. I've already covered the whole antitrust thing, as well as the acquisition of Navision.

Thanks.

#93645 - 13/05/2002 16:44 Re: Microsofts .NET [Re: visuvius]
Ralyon
journeyman

Loc: Florida, USA
As far as I know itsjust a password verification for most of Microsoft's stuff, like Hotmail, MSN Messenger, Zone...

Ralyon

#93646 - 13/05/2002 17:02 Re: Microsofts .NET [Re: visuvius]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Some caustic short answers might be:
  • Yet another renaming/repackaging of OLE/COM/ActiveX/DCOM//MTS technology
  • Yet another attempt to usurp a well established technology, change it slightly and then relaunch as their own revolutionary breakthrough (this time it is J2EE, XML and their all too numerous relatives, in particular EJB and SOAP/UDDI)
  • Nobody knows yet, the least of all Gates, Allen, Balmer..., but it sounds cool
OK, seriously (though above answers have more than a grain of thuth in them): a new platform/architecture for development and deployment of multi-tier distributed applications (those where tasks like presentation, business logic, persistent data access etc are handled by various communicating components usually running on different machines - something like very generalised client/server concept). The architecture has many elements (e.g. lots of protocols (discovery, messaging, procedure/method invoking, authentication, transaction handling), servers - those that provide execution environment for components and others etc). The most 'visible' element is C# - a new Java-like language - and its abstract virtual machine, which is supposed to become computing substrate for all .NET components to run on.

I doubt this was of much use, but there's quite a number of Windows guys around here who will able to be more helpful

Cheers!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#93647 - 14/05/2002 08:15 Re: Microsofts .NET [Re: visuvius]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
It's a superb new business opportunity for me

The amount of holes a badly set up single-sign-on solution can have is astonishing. And MS don't do things by half on the security front, so I can see lots of work ahead. The really bad side is that it is likely to take off due to MS' marketing might even though all the foundations have scary security issues.

</soapbox>

Anyway - I like penguins
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock