Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#97096 - 02/06/2002 11:46 Corrupt .wav file, no FMT Descriptor??
scoopz
new poster

Loc: UK, Chester
I use a program called CDEX to record live DJ mixes off the radio to wav then chop them up and convert them to MP3 for my RioCar. On this one occassion I recorded 2hours or so which resulted in a wave file about 1GB and everything seemed normal but when i try and play this in winamp it does nothing and doesn't even show total track length. If I try and re-open it in my wave chopper program it gives and error saying there is "No fmt descriptor"?? What's this all about and is it repairable?
I'm running Windows XP, plenty of disk space+RAM and pretty powerful PC so doubt lack of resources would have contributed.
I've run chkdsk, recover, and few other supposed wave repair utilities from web but no joy :-(
Anything I should try before I have to reluctantly delete it? The file is 1GB, tried to view contents in text editor but made no sense to me.

Regards

Neil Cooper

PS - If you can recommend a better program for recording 2+hrs from a line in source and being able to chop it up afterwards please let me know.

#97097 - 02/06/2002 12:04 Re: Corrupt .wav file, no FMT Descriptor?? [Re: scoopz]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
One thing that I've seen mentioned favourably here is Total Recorder.

/Michael

#97098 - 03/06/2002 08:24 Re: Corrupt .wav file, no FMT Descriptor?? [Re: scoopz]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
In reply to:

PS - If you can recommend a better program for recording 2+hrs from a line in source and being able to chop it up afterwards please let me know.

Cool Edit is the one I use, but practically any of the other major offerings should do it. Sound Forge, ... heck, even AudioGrabber, probably...

Have fun,

Paul

#97099 - 03/06/2002 08:32 Re: Corrupt .wav file, no FMT Descriptor?? [Re: PaulWay]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I also use Cool Edit. It's also just a good program to have anyway. I've recorded radio shows as well. A friend of mine has a show on our college radio station. I was going to sit in with him at the station, but we wanted to record it (and didn't have anything at the station). Cool Edit can actually time record (great function), so I was able to set it up and use as little disk space as possible (instead of recording an extra 15 minutes at the beginning and end for travel time).

*edit* I just re-read your post and saw that you were using CDEX. I don't know a whole lot about the program, but it sure stinks as a CD ripper. The quality of the tracks I ripped with it were terrible. They sounded okay on my empeg at a lower volume, but at louder volumes they were very distorted, and not a lot distorts on my system, even on +10 overdrive!

Edited by DiGNAN17 (03/06/2002 08:35)

#97100 - 03/06/2002 08:33 Re: Corrupt .wav file, no FMT Descriptor?? [Re: PaulWay]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Yes, Cooledit is a great program with lots of features! I wouldn't look any further.
I haven't checked recently, but in the past Synthrilium always had a demo version of Cooledit available for download.