Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#104726 - 12/07/2002 09:29 Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet?
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I'm looking at a potential buy back from VW because my Cabrio is a piece of sh*t. I'd get another, but they're discontinued, and everything that's left over is a color I hate. Since there isn't another convertible out there that's practical or that I like that's cheap enough that I'm willing to pay for, this looks like it might be my next car (or a Jetta GLI, still debating). Anyone been around one enough to give an opinion?

Edited by bxgurl (12/07/2002 09:46)

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#104727 - 12/07/2002 09:34 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: Heather]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sorry, just seen a few around. The only problem I could see for you is the wait list. Do you have transportation for the months you could be waiting?

They do look pretty sweet, though. For some reason the biggest attraction to cars for me has been size. I love minivans, and I've always loved minis (I thought about buying an old one last summer). Maybe the attraction is to things with "mini" in them. Oh well.

Good luck, though. What options would you be interested in? They've got some pretty sweet ones available. I couldn't believe you can get a navigation system.

#104728 - 12/07/2002 09:36 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: Heather]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Mine's arriving next month, whereupon I have to decide between keeping it or my '02 Civic Type R. I get to be able to do this because they're in such demand that I can sell a lightly used one for at least what I paid for it...

I had a test drive and I wasn't *overly* impressed (test drive was about 8 months after I ordered it, hence I had to order "blind"). The engine seems good though it's nowhere near as eager as the Type R; suspension is quite firm, handling seemed less predicatable than the Civic though. Interior quality was better than the (slightly plasticky) civic.

I have the feeling that it may grow on me, but if I can't get my snowboard into it I'm going to have to leave it.

I didn't get much chance to thrash it though, as the salesperson was much bigger than me and looked like he could get upset easily

Hugo

#104729 - 12/07/2002 09:59 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was out to lunch with some friends when we saw one in a parking lot, red with a white top. We fawned over the thing for about 20 minutes, we all liked its looks. Tom and Ray seem to like them, too, and have recommended them on-air a couple of times in recent weeks.

I think its appearance is very evocative of the old rally cars, I like it a lot. It also has a styling that (in my opinion) is equally appropriate for a male or a female driver. Female because it's small and cute, male because it evokes the rally-car image.

Rarity is an advantage, too. Jettas are a dime a dozen, heads won't turn. The Cooper will turn heads.

Disclaimer: Don't know anything about fitting an empeg in there. Definitely investigate this before deciding.

Only other concern is: can you expect to keep selling Veedubs if you're driving a Cooper?

#104730 - 12/07/2002 10:00 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: altman]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I'd keep the civic it has survived rob which must be a good sign for any car

#104731 - 12/07/2002 10:39 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: altman]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'll take the Civi off your hands. =] How much does it take to ship a car across the Atlantic these days...

#104732 - 12/07/2002 10:52 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: loren]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
As long as you don't want the original head unit as it isn't very well.

#104733 - 12/07/2002 13:54 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
But wouldn't you be the coolest of cool to own an original Mini?

It's the only thing in Texas that isn't TEXAS-SIZED... nor with a Texas-sized price tag...
I'd prefer one of these over the new Mini anyday, but I just made that first boat payment, only 71 left to go before I can get a Mini...

#104734 - 12/07/2002 15:58 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: altman]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
as the salesperson was much bigger than me

Must... Restrain... Self... From... Obvious... Comment!

pca

#104735 - 13/07/2002 06:54 Re: Has anyone got there hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: thinfourth2]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I treated that car with great respect! I didn't take it over 82% of it's top speed!

Rob

#104736 - 13/07/2002 08:54 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: altman]
Heather
addict

Do you have transportation for the months you could be waiting? ...What options would you be interested in?

The car has already been ordered in case I need it, and is set to arrive in October (being female in this business occasionally has its advantages) if I do wind up getting out of the Cabrio (love the car, runs great, I hate the idea of giving it up, but develops a new BS problem every week or two). I ordered the Chili Red with white roof, mirror, and white 17" rims, everything except the navigation and the harmon kardon (the navigation takes the speedometer out of the center and ruins the look of the interior IMO, and besides, A- I have no use for it B-if you can't read a map, you don't belong behind the wheel of a car). Still trying to settle this like civilised adults rather than bringing in the lawyers.

The engine seems good though it's nowhere near as eager as the Type R; suspension is quite firm, handling seemed less predicatable than the Civic though. Interior quality was better than the (slightly plasticky) civic. ...if I can't get my snowboard into it I'm going to have to leave it. ...I didn't get much chance to thrash it though, as the salesperson was much bigger than me and looked like he could get upset easily

The car will spend most of its time idling in NYC traffic, so I really don't need (nor can I really be trusted with) something fast. I have yet to see a Honda that I like (the styling and interiors turn me off). Test drives never tell you a whole lot though, owning a car for 2 or 3 weeks does. That's when you find out things 10 minutes won't tell you. The snowboard doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but it did fit my overgrown friend (over 6'5") in the front seat with no real adjustments. And I actually encourage people to thrash the cars around a bit on test drives, it's not my car, and it's heavily insured.

Attachments
103538-mebbs.jpg (76 downloads)

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#104737 - 13/07/2002 09:23 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Tom and Ray seem to like them, too, and have recommended them on-air a couple of times in recent weeks.

Their car-o-scope told me I should be driving a ram charger or a cutlass, so I have to wonder about them...

Rarity is an advantage, too. Jettas are a dime a dozen, heads won't turn. The Cooper will turn heads.

I consider that an advantage for the Jetta. The Cooper wll probably have the same idiot men pestering me at red lights effect (one guy tried to pick me up with his wife in the drivers seat and kid in the back. If I was his wife, I probably would have beat the crap out of him) the Cabrio has. And the GLI drives a hell of a lot better than the Cooper. It unfortunately has a limited selection of colors, none of which I find terribly desirable.

Disclaimer: Don't know anything about fitting an empeg in there. Definitely investigate this before deciding.

Going over to Mini on Wednesday to watch them take apart some guys dash. Everything else I've looked at is no picnic for this, so it really doesn't weigh heavily, as any installation is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Only other concern is: can you expect to keep selling Veedubs if you're driving a Cooper?

Not a prblem at all. You think I let customers near my personal car? I had a VW before the job, which did get me hired, but thats about it. And things are getting pretty [censored] up around here, so I may be on my way elsewhere. The only reason most salesmen drive what they sell is because they're usually demos. Here, we get cash. I prefer it this way, I'd rather have my employer paying for my fuckyou car.

#104738 - 13/07/2002 09:30 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Are you this direct and honest with your customers? If so, I want to buy a car from you.

#104739 - 13/07/2002 09:47 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: wfaulk]
Heather
addict

Are you this direct and honest with your customers? If so, I want to buy a car from you.

Actually, I am. I am one of the most unprofessional in the business. I swear and smoke in front of the customers all the time too. Needless to say, I'm highly profitable and well loved by my clients.

#104740 - 14/07/2002 01:25 Re: Has anyone got their hands on a Cooper S yet? [Re: Heather]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Mine comes in in about two weeks ... I'll let you know how it is and how easy/hard it is to get an Empeg in there. Mike