Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105893 - 18/07/2002 13:35 Need idiots guide
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hi. As stated I need an idiots step-by-step guide on how to do this. I have the following:

Empeg Mk2a with Hijack
Dell Laptop with USB and PCMCIA ethernet card
Cable modem and NTL 512k broadband
NETGEAR CABLE DSL ROUTER + 8 X 10/100 SWITCH

I plan to hook the router up to my modem, and allow sharing of the broadband connection with my neighbour. I'm ok with that bit.

I also want to connect the Empeg to the router, so that we can both listen to music on it remotley. I would also like to make it so that the files will stream only, i.e. cannot be copied to my neighbours hard disk.

So... is this possible?

Thanks
Philip

#105894 - 18/07/2002 13:41 Re: Need idiots guide [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Not really. Given that you're still transmitting the same data no matter whether it's streaming or downloading, there's no way to prevent your neighbor from saving the stream. Now, it is conceivably possible to obfuscate it enough that it becomes difficult to download, like having it stream via RTSP or something, but it will never be impossible to download while making it possible to stream.

Now the question is whether that sort of obfuscation is good enough for you and whether you're interested in creating that obfuscation, as there's not currently any such function within the empeg or any add-ons that I'm aware of.

#105895 - 18/07/2002 17:40 Re: Need idiots guide [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
If the neighbor's not too sophisticated some editing of charcoalgray99's web pages to might be enough...perhaps in addition to enabling the password on the ftp functions in Hijack.

Another thought- setting up a second internal subnet (non-dhcp) that your neighbor doesn't know about.

-Zeke

#105896 - 19/07/2002 17:30 Re: Need idiots guide [Re: Ezekiel]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Actually adding [hijack]khttpd_commands=0 to config.ini should take care of the commands on playlist page. However this variable isn't available to me on the other pages (home, ftp). You'd have to edit those manually or remove them.

Tom