Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#114961 - 04/09/2002 22:38 flat or "ribbon" style RCA cable?
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Has anyone ever heard of or seen a such beast as a flat or ribbon RCA cable? I've seen the coax flat cables that are made to run under windows and doors... and i'm looking for something simlar, only in RCA form.

Since i got a little more than expected back from my empeg being stolen and LCD smashed up, i want to go ahead an get the LCD installed into the sunvisor, and i want a ribbon cable going from the visor to behind the trim so it's much easier to install and conceal.

Anyone know some crazy cable resources that would have something like this? Or better yet... would this work if i just spliced on some RCA jacks to a couple of strands of standard IDE ribbon cable?

#114962 - 04/09/2002 23:03 Re: flat or "ribbon" style RCA cable? [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wouldn't the flat coax cable just work fine for that? Heck, don't even need to splice if you don't want, just get a coax-to-RCA converter plug for each end.

#114963 - 04/09/2002 23:07 Re: flat or "ribbon" style RCA cable? [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or better yet... would this work if i just spliced on some RCA jacks to a couple of strands of standard IDE ribbon cable?

I believe video signals need to be shielded or else they will have a lot of video-noise on the screen. So if you're going to do any splicing, it should be to the (I assume shielded) flat coax cable.

I'm not sure if there's even a real difference between coax cable and RCA cable for your particular application.

#114964 - 05/09/2002 09:03 Re: flat or "ribbon" style RCA cable? [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Good point. The flat Coax is just too think for where i want it to go. I'll just do some quick tests with some ribbon cable when i get around to it. This isn't the highest quality screen on earth anyhow, so we'll see how much noise is introduced in the 2 inches that would be flat cable.