Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#126847 - 17/11/2002 22:30 How safe are you kids?
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Ok, this is scary to think about.

#126848 - 18/11/2002 00:33 Re: How safe are you kids? [Re: russmeister]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
That's REALLY scary
You'd bite your bank manager's head off if he let out your credit details without your permission; but for schools to be able to send out information about your child???!
That's taking the freedom of information thing too far.

The problem as I see it is that parents have no recourse or security with the information leaks. if their kid gets taken cause the school 'was obliged' to give it out, they can't even hold the school responsible as the law appears to protect them.

Hell, I had concerns when I rang my brother's company to get his current mailing address as he was out. They didn't know me and they were happy to give me the details over the phone.

#126849 - 18/11/2002 19:23 Re: How safe are you kids? [Re: russmeister]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Word, FERPA sucks. It's one of the few laws that I've been trying to comprehend from the legal writing of it. FOrget it, it's confusing. And look what ends up happening: your kid's information is sold to the nearest pervert. Greaaaaaaaat.