Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#136376 - 22/01/2003 08:36 DVD burner question
csf

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm going to encode several (12) video tapes from a summer trip onto my computer and then encode them onto DVD media. I've already got the TV tuner card for encoding (Winfast 2000) but I would like some suggestions for DVD Burner and media. I'm guessing on about 15 total discs (minor editiing) for about 20 people for a total of 300 discs. Any suggestions on media and price at that volume?

I've been looking at the new Sony DVD+/-R/RW drive and the Pioneer A05. The Sony seems the way to go. Suggestions?

Additionally, I have an Athlon 850 w/ 448 megs of ram (64+128+256). I've got a 120 gig USB 2.0 drive and an internal 40 gig drive with space. Sound good?

Thanks for your input.

#136377 - 22/01/2003 09:30 Re: DVD burner question [Re: csf]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Are you making data DVDs or ones that allow you to view on a standalone unit? If the latter, does that TV card only capture avi's from video? You'll need to convert them to mpeg-2 for DVD writing. Also make sure that a DVD player can play the discs. Most new ones will, but my old Toshiba won't even look at DVD-R media.

The avi to mpg2 conversion will eat into your cpu and could take hours to complete. I got myself the Hauppauge PVR-250 video capture card which encodes to mpeg real time - without using system resources as it has a hardware encoder. Raw avi will use huge amounts of space and the video could have sync problems if the pc can't keep up.

I have the new sony drive and its excellent - especially when burning at 4x! I highly recommend it, but make sure you get the latest firmware to allow 4x burning. It will do all discs on the market, but like I said before - make sure the player can handle whatever disc format you'll be using. Most new players can play +R and -R media, and are pretty cheap now, so go for one of these. You can test the quality first on a RW disc before using -R/+R.

Remember that working with high quality video will take up space and system resources so do chunks at a time!