Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#140871 - 06/02/2003 15:31 sorry about this..... sendmail configuration
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I'm trying to get the mail() function in PHP to work on my sparc, I had a quick look at the php.ini file and saw that SMTP only seems to be supported on win32, if you're running unix is seems you need to use sendmail. Problem is I haven't got I fscking clue how to configure it, the documentation seems to be rather cryptic. All I want it to do if relay everything through to my ISPs smtp server. HELP!!!

Running Debian 3.0 "Woody" BTW...

Andy M

#140872 - 06/02/2003 15:35 Re: sorry about this..... sendmail configuration [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You're interested in the ``smarthost'' option.

If you're lucky, all you might have to do is edit your as-distributed sendmail.cf and add the line:

DSmail.isp.net

Search to see if a `DS' line already exists.

#140873 - 06/02/2003 15:44 Re: sorry about this..... sendmail configuration [Re: andym]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
If you've got Debian installed, you'll probably have exim installed. If you run 'eximconfig', it'll let you configure your box as a 'satellite' system (option 3).

The 'sendmail' that PHP wants to use (/usr/lib/sendmail) is actually a symlink to /usr/sbin/exim, which should do the right thing.

#140874 - 06/02/2003 16:10 Re: sorry about this..... sendmail configuration [Re: Roger]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Ah...I run redhat 7.2 and was having a similar problem. I had it setup correctly in the php.ini according to the documentation, but none of my mail functions in PHP worked. I finally tired of it and hacked together a couple functions to parse headers and recipients and send mail and packaged it up as a php include file. It works quite well. Let me know if you need it.

EDIT: nope...not the same problem...my box is it's own smtp server...doesn't run through the ISP's

EDIT again: Here is that .inc file. To be honest, I snagged it from somewhere else on the net and modified it to meet my own needs, so I can't take credit for it. It does work quite well.

#140875 - 06/02/2003 17:22 Re: sorry about this..... sendmail configuration [Re: JBjorgen]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
That's lovely, thanks guys, I've managed to send a couple of emails already. Nice one ....

Andy M