Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#140833 - 06/02/2003 12:49 HP Scanner through the a network.
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Ok... I have a scanjet connect by usb to my desktop (hp also...) However my desktop is basically an extra hard drive with monitor since I purchased my new laptop. Is it possible to access my scanner through the network? I know that I can't just share it like a drive. I thought about trying to install it like a printer but the program doesn't ask about it being a network scanner like it does for printers. And comments?

#140834 - 06/02/2003 12:59 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: revlmwest]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There have been other discussions about this on the BBS. I think someone said there's a piece of third-party software that allows you to do this, not sure.

What we do here is to have a folder on the computer's hard disk called "Scans", and share that folder. Then when we walk up to the scanner to put something into it, we scan it and save the image to that share. Then we take the thing out of the scanner, return to our desk, and retrieve the image across the network.

See... to me, the whole idea of a networked scanner misses the point that you still have to walk up to the thing to put stuff into it. So what's the point of controlling it across the network if you still have to walk up to the thing to get the job done.

#140835 - 06/02/2003 13:03 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah. It makes much more sense for his scanner to be attached to his laptop.

I share my scanner, but the host machine is running Linux and uses a piece of server software called SANE, and then someone wrote a TWAIN driver to attach to that. It works quite well.

On the other hand, if you don't have to log in to your desktop machine, Rev., then it would probably be easier to just share the folder you scan the pages to and then access it via normal Windows networking, as Tony suggested.

#140836 - 06/02/2003 13:06 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah. It makes much more sense for his scanner to be attached to his laptop.

Well, it'd take about two seconds to plug the cable in...

#140837 - 06/02/2003 13:08 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Assuming it's USB. Mine isn't.

Edit: Oops. Says right there: ``connect[ed] by USB''. Oh, well.

Edited by wfaulk (06/02/2003 13:10)

#140838 - 06/02/2003 13:12 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: revlmwest]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I agree. It's better to just install it on the computer it's connected to. Even if you get it shared so that the person has control over it, that person will have a hell of a time with any document over 1 page. This is the reason my dad's office eventually wants to get a scanner with a paper feeder. We have a scanner on our network, but everyone would just ask me to scan something in for them, so it was pretty useless to do.

ps-in case you were wondering, we got the scanner on the network using HP software. it came with the scanner so I'm not sure where you'd get it.

#140839 - 06/02/2003 14:27 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: Dignan]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
You are all correct in your statements. It would be easier to simply connect to the laptop, however office logistics make it uncomfortable at least. I also have to maintain a somewhat un-techie looking office due to my position. I know that sounds odd but just believe me.

But the biggest reason to have connected through the Desktop for me is to make it usable from my laptop over wireless LAN (in my office so I don't walk anywhere) and when I take my laptop home anyone without computer savvy (which is basically everyone else) can just walk in and use the scanner. Nothing to plug in, reinstall, etc.....

#140840 - 06/02/2003 14:32 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: revlmwest]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not sure about the HP standalone scanners but the multifunction printers which print and scan can be connected to the network with their jetdirect boxes. The one I've got has a web interface and lets you scan stuff. Not quite what you're looking for but it could help *shrug*

- Trevor

#140841 - 06/02/2003 15:54 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tman]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I've done this with a Scanjet 6200 series. A quick how to is here. You don't mention model specifics, but I believe the PrecisionScan Pro software handles many different HP models. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

-Zeke

#140842 - 06/02/2003 16:05 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tfabris]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

See... to me, the whole idea of a networked scanner misses the point that you still have to walk up to the thing to put stuff into it. So what's the point of controlling it across the network if you still have to walk up to the thing to get the job done.

By this logic Tony, I take it a networked printer would also be "missing the point"?

As you would have to "walk up to it" to get the end results [a printout], and if printing on special paper, to load it with the right paper stock first before you printed?

We have 2 networked printers in our office (one colour, one mono), both HP Laserjets, and wouldn't have them setup any other way.

To give everyone their own personal printers (unless they do specific, high security printing, like maybe payroll or other 'for your eyes only' type work), is a major headache to manage.

Been there, done that.

Can't see that scanners are much different.

Most half-decent scanners now support ADF feeders so if you're doing bulk "loose sheet" or page scanning, it works like a fax and pulls each sheet through as its scanned, if not, then you're doing manual "feeds" of each page before you copy it - just like a manual photcopier requires.

I'm considering a scanner for home use and it will one of the networkable ones so it can be attached to any device and operated remotely.

Yes, it will be attached next to one PC that will do most of the scanning, but for one off/occasional scanning - having to walk to another room to load a single page you want to scan is hardly a major issue.

If you're doing lots and lots of scanning in multiple locations then it would be best to either get a networkable scanner [assuming you have a wired/wireless network in place - who on this BBS doesn't these days?], or get a second scanner and plug it in locally.

Low-end [i.e. non-networkable] scanners are pretty cheap these days if the second scanner option is the simplest one in this case.

You can also get a USB "switch" to switch the scanners USB connection from local PC to the remote PC, assuming you have a "extended distance" USB cable/repeater between the remote PC and the USB switch box - this is basically a wired network, but of USB devices instead of Ethernet ones.

#140843 - 06/02/2003 16:15 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: number6]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

By this logic Tony, I take it a networked printer would also be "missing the point"?

No, because you don't have to load the printer ahead of time, so it's only one trip. Unlike two trips for a networked scanner:

Networked printer:

- Press print from your desk.
- Walk to printer and grab your printout.

Networked scanner:

- Walk to scanner and place your photo under the lid.
- Walk back to your desk.
- Scan from your desk.
- Walk back to the scanner to retrieve the photo.

Regular scanner with shared "scans" folder:

- Walk to scanner and place photo under the lid.
- Scan and save, then retrieve the photo.
- Walk back to your desk and open the photo across the network.

#140844 - 06/02/2003 17:57 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'd argue that ``Regular scanner with shared "scans" folder'' is more like:
  • Walk to scanner
  • Find an administrator since the last person that used the workstation forgot to log out and now it's locked
  • Wait for administrator to show up
  • Scan and save
  • Retrieve
  • Get chewed out by admin because you forgot to log out

#140845 - 07/02/2003 11:50 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's possible to set up a shared PC so that it's always logged-in, and if you do it right, it's not a big deal security-wise. We have some low-access "guest" accounts on our network that work really well for that purpose, and in fact, were deliberately designed for that purpose.

#140846 - 07/02/2003 12:45 Re: HP Scanner through the a network. [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
This is in a church office with like 6 people. There is no security.