Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#146458 - 02/03/2003 02:00 Stupid British culture question
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
A friend of mine has become slightly obsessed with the BBC sitcom Coupling. However, there's one thing that he and I are not sure of.

The character Sally is a neurotic hairstylist who's something of a loser. What we can't figure out is whether her hairstyle -- namely stringy, flat, parted too far on the wrong side, and generally inappropriate for her face (at least in USian style) -- would be considered stylish in England, or if the fact that it's so bad (combined with the fact that she's a hairstylist herself) is just a running joke about her being a loser.

So, those of you more in touch with British sensibilities, please enlighten.

#146459 - 02/03/2003 04:15 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I don't see Sally to be a loser in the sitcom ??? She has problems with relationships and her self image, but isn't that the point ???

I like her hair too. I thought this could be a problem in exporting British humor to the US, you just don't get it over there. Why does her hair style matter ??? Stop thinking there has to be a moral and meaning behind every little thing and just relax and enjoy what is the best comedy sitcom ever to have come from these shores.

Cris.

#146460 - 02/03/2003 04:21 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Well I'm British and I don't find her attractive. I don't think her hair is too offensive though.

Andy M

#146461 - 02/03/2003 08:01 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
So, those of you more in touch with British sensibilities, please enlighten.

I can't help you out on the whole sensibilities angle, but I will say this:

If someone could convince Sally to find *me* attractive, well...I'd be highly inclined to reciprocate!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#146462 - 02/03/2003 11:37 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
whether her hairstyle [..] would be considered stylish in England

And you're asking us lot??

Being English but arguably not stylish, I can't see anything wrong with her hair. If it is a running joke, it must be one aimed squarely at women and/or hairdressers; it's completely lost on me.

Peter

"Next on BBC America: Suzannah and Trinny and Bitt..."

#146463 - 02/03/2003 13:09 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I like her hair too. I thought this could be a problem in exporting British humor to the US, you just don't get it over there. Why does her hair style matter ??? Stop thinking there has to be a moral and meaning behind every little thing and just relax and enjoy what is the best comedy sitcom ever to have come from these shores.
Easy, there, cowboy. Don't take it so seriously.

You said it yourself. She ``has problems with ... her self image''. Wouldn't her having a bad hairstyle be funny?

The reason I ask is because we just happened to watch an episode that had an unmitigated British-only reference. It was an early episode and Sally and Susan were talking about, apparently, a Tory politician who they said could pull off being ``naked with socks''. That joke was totally lost on us, and we started thinking about what else we might unknowingly be missing.

Neither of us is fashionable in the least, and Sally's hairstyle isn't awful in the US, but it looks sorta like one someone would have who wants to be glamorous but is failing at it. Combine that with the fact that sitcom stars over here are pored over by the fashion press (for example, when Friends, with which Coupling obviously has a lot in common, became very popular, there was seldom a week that would go by without someone in the popular press commenting on Jennifer Aniston's hair), and I just wondered if it was intended to be good, or if it was more funniness. Now I know, which is why I asked.

#146464 - 02/03/2003 13:13 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If it is a running joke, it must be one aimed squarely at women and/or hairdressers; it's completely lost on me.
That's sort of my point. Here sit two guys in the US, not much inclined to fashion at all, who both remark on how bad Sally's hair is. (Probably partially due to the fact that she's pretty but, IOHOs, could be much prettier with a different hairstyle.)

Those of you in the UK find it uncommentable. Fair enough. Cultures differ. (For example, Jane is obviously supposed to be phenomenally attractive, but I wouldn't say that that would be the widely accepted opinion in the US. I doubt that US people would generally find her to be the most attractive on the show. Not that she's ugly by any means. Then again, I don't get why people find Julia Roberts attractive, so maybe I'm wrong.) I just wasn't sure if this was a case of it or not.

Edited by wfaulk (02/03/2003 13:19)

#146465 - 02/03/2003 13:26 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
(for example, when Friends, with which Coupling obviously has a lot in common, became very popular, there was seldom a week that would go by without someone in the popular press commenting on Jennifer Aniston's hair)
Ah-ha. That explains the whole thing. Coupling is a deliberate Friends clone, right down to the characters: One of the female leads has to have funky hair. Somewhere, there's a very strict "sitcom formula" written down, and that's one of the rules.

#146466 - 03/03/2003 02:21 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: tfabris]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
That explains the whole thing. Coupling is a deliberate Friends clone

....... and don't forget the uncanny similarity in the number of main characters (6) - ahhhhhhhhh, ummmmmmmm. I also see a pattern - but what does it mean master?

#146467 - 03/03/2003 08:12 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Then again, I don't get why people find Julia Roberts attractive

You know, I've never heard a guy talk about Julia Roberts being attractive, though she certainly isn't ugly. I've even had this discussion with my wife, who is an avid Roberts fan. I honestly think (though I could easitly be wrong) that it's more women who find Julia Roberts attractive than men.

#146468 - 03/03/2003 08:15 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Apologies to Andy M, but it's widely reported and criticized in the UK, that the BBC doesn't do culture anymore, it's all been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

#146469 - 03/03/2003 10:43 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I thought this could be a problem in exporting British humor to the US, you just don't get it over there

Too true! Your post sounds condescending, but I'd have to agree. Not because the humor is superior or inferior, but the culture and sensibility differences are quite great.

Speaking of which, did anyone see last night's Simpsons? They commented on this exact subject when a Simpsonian movie star invited Helen Fielding to a Springfield women's book club. There she said that she didn't care if anyone read "Bridget..." because Americans wouldn't understand the British humor. She consequently runs out the door in a Benny Hill spoof, with bobbies chasing after her.

Personally, I never found Benny Hill very funny *ducks*

#146470 - 03/03/2003 10:57 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: simspos]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I also see a pattern - but what does it mean master?
It means, Grasshopper, that the pod people have now taken over England as well as Hollywood.

#146471 - 03/03/2003 11:43 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hehe... Yaketysax is the ringtone on my phone.

#146472 - 03/03/2003 13:06 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
The reason I ask is because we just happened to watch an episode that had an unmitigated British-only reference. It was an early episode and Sally and Susan were talking about, apparently, a Tory politician who they said could pull off being ``naked with socks''. That joke was totally lost on us, and we started thinking about what else we might unknowingly be missing.

You didn't miss this because you're American. You missed it (I assume) because you're a heterosexual male. A fair percentage of men (at least in my experience) will not, or try not taking they're socks off before sex (my last/current bf is one of these).

While it's not scary like the sight of a naked man bent over, I've yet to see a man who does not look totally ridiculous wearing nothing but his socks.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#146473 - 03/03/2003 13:26 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Heather]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No. I understand the point about ``naked with socks''. I was just using that as a point of reference for someone who might have seen that episode and wanted to enlighten me. The part I didn't get was the Tory politician. Sally refused to have sex with a Tory and Susan claimed that some guy, apparently a Tory politician, might be able to pull off the ``naked with socks'' look. I'm assuming he's particularly attractive, but I don't really know. He might be some octogenarian, for all I know.

There was actually a really funny bit earlier about not missing the sock zone -- that area after you take off your shoes but before you take off your pants that is the only opportunity a guy really gets to take off his socks without looking like a total feeb.

Also, I happened to just get around to seeing American Psycho over the weekend, and it was pretty funny watching Christian Bale running around totally naked with jogging shoes and a chainsaw. That might be more ridiculous than socks.

#146474 - 03/03/2003 14:54 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: lectric]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Hehe... Yaketysax is the ringtone on my phone

I gather that's the Benny Hill theme? Well, you'll never hear that coming out of my saxophones

#146475 - 04/03/2003 02:48 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
If you went down to any beach here in England duing the summer you would understand the meaning of "naked with socks". You will always find a batch of middle aged men wearing socks with sandels and shorts on, this creates a geek culture around people wering socks when you shouldn't, ie when naked.

The best way to find out if you can pull it off is to stand infront of a full length mirror with you socks on and otherwise naked, and see how silly you look. This would be a turn off to a British woman, hense the reference "naked with socks"

I think ???

Cheers

Cris.

#146476 - 04/03/2003 03:43 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Cris]
simspos
enthusiast

The best way to find out if you can pull it off is to stand infront of a full length mirror with you socks on and otherwise naked

Nah, tried it, looked stupid, won't be doing it again

Cheers, Sim

#146477 - 04/03/2003 03:52 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: tfabris]
simspos
enthusiast

I also see a pattern - but what does it mean master?

It means, Grasshopper, that the pod people have now taken over England as well as Hollywood

..........Sh*t, run for the hills

#146478 - 04/03/2003 04:10 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: simspos]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Although the Red Hot Chili Peppers, amongst others, seemed to pull of the naked with socks look pretty well*. Or maybe that should be naked with sock.

*According to my wife
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#146479 - 04/03/2003 06:40 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: frog51]
simspos
enthusiast

Although the Red Hot Chili Peppers, amongst others, seemed to pull off the naked with socks look pretty well

Yeh, must be all those oh so masculine tattoos detracting from the fact that you look stupid with just socks on.

Cheers, Sim

#146480 - 04/03/2003 08:56 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Again, I understand ``naked with socks''. That reference was incidental.

As a vaguely famous citizen of Burlington, NC (outlet store capital of the world) once said, ``Yankees are down here fighting over socks like they'd never seen them before, which you know isn't true, since they're always wearing them with sandals.''

#146481 - 04/03/2003 08:57 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: simspos]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't believe that you understand where they wore said socks:

#146482 - 04/03/2003 09:03 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
simspos
enthusiast

You're right, but I think I'm catching on fast -

#146483 - 04/03/2003 11:04 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

"naked with socks''

I don't know about England, but here in Virginia, supposedly it's illegal to "do the deed" with your socks on...or in anything but the missionary position

At least that's what I've heard

#146484 - 04/03/2003 11:08 Re: Stupid British culture question [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Yeah, it's the theme song.