Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148029 - 11/03/2003 16:41 The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly
visuvius
addict

#148030 - 11/03/2003 16:46 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Oh boy, liberty cabbage all over again.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#148031 - 11/03/2003 16:51 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: Heather]
ilDuce
journeyman

I am not laughing..... I feel dispair.... What are the Americans thinking? How can one nation become so warloving?? I thought one the most basic rules of freedom was peace. The Iraq question can be solved without a war.

#148032 - 11/03/2003 16:51 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
njdboy

Loc: San Jose, CA
it amazes me how juvenile politicians can be, the so called "leaders" of our world.

#148033 - 11/03/2003 17:11 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: Heather]
visuvius
addict

My favorite bit is:

"The French Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment, except to say that french fries actually come from Belgium."

#148034 - 11/03/2003 17:43 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
LMAO. That is the LAMEST shite i've seen in a long time. Juvenile doesn't even begin to describe it.

#148035 - 11/03/2003 18:00 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
butter
enthusiast

Loc: State side
the french is in reference to the cut of the potatoe. To be correct one should say frenched fries. just my $.02 since I saw similar situations earlier in the month and it has turned into one of my pet peeves. and like the French said, they come from Belgium.
[blue]fitter, happier, more productive[/blue]

#148036 - 11/03/2003 18:10 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: butter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm not a Frenchie, I'm a Belgie!

Oh, and points to anyone who can tell me where that's from. No Googling this time.

#148037 - 11/03/2003 18:31 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: wfaulk]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
just going to prove that some 'world leaders' think that they're still playing in a sandpit and their actions don't affect others in the long term. 'the rain will come and everything will go back to square one'

Homer J. was right. under the seaeee, under the seaeeee ...

#148038 - 11/03/2003 18:55 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: wfaulk]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm not a Frenchie, I'm a Belgie!

Oh, and points to anyone who can tell me where that's from. No Googling this time.
My guess would be Perfect Strangers

EIDT (after googling): Oh, I was way off

- trs

Edited by trs24 (11/03/2003 19:02)

#148039 - 11/03/2003 18:56 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: muzza]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I feel the need to say that not all Americans are stupid. It just seems that way... Remember, half the population is dumber than the "average" person...

#148040 - 11/03/2003 20:07 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: ilDuce]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I am not laughing.....

I don't find it funny either. It's stupid, just like when they tried to change the name of sauerkraut to liberty cabbage during WWII.

Then again, NYC is pretty detached from the rest of the US, so I'm usually semi-afraid in many parts of the country. I experienced less culture shock on my first trip abroad than I did when I went to the midwest for the first time.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#148041 - 11/03/2003 21:48 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
The should have called it "enduring freedom fries" and "enduring freedom toast".

Anyway, the French is the one country we all love to hate - even in peace time.
And during any war? Who cares what happens to the French.

This stupid name change malarky reminds me of the time about 7 years ago, (mid '90s) when the French were testing the last of the their nuclear bombs for real down in the south east pacific [against everyone elses wishes at the time, including the US].

The local supermarket stopped selling "French sticks" aka those long skinny loaves of bread the French are so famous for.

And they renamed them "kiwi sticks"!
[kiwi being the local term for anything made in "New Zealand" as in Kiwifruit etc]

D'oh, like that really did any good! - I'm sure the French felt the pain all the way in Paris from the other side of the world:

- "sacre bleu!! - zhose Neu Zeelonders, zhey have changed ze name of ze baguette to 'Kiwi stick' in protest - we must stop ze 'Force de Frappe' (nuclear bomb) testing at once or our economie, she will suffer terrible badly."

#148042 - 11/03/2003 22:59 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: visuvius]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
"Freedom" Hmmm... USA != Freedom. Maybe they should be called Enslavement Fries?

Besides, don't most places in the US batter their fries now anyway? That's Chicken-Fried Fries and belongs in the garbage.

Hmm... What can we do around the world to mock the USA through culinary name changes... Hmmm... I suppose in France they may start calling them Hot Dogs instead of American Hot Dogs.

Forget how juvenile it is. What a complete waste of time. And taxpayer dollars. And these guys demand a salary for their "work?" Uh huh..

Up here in the Great White North (Ontario anyway), you'll find that most places just call them "Fries." The word "French" seemingly dropped from many menus long ago. I don't know if that's because most people are smart enough to know they come from Belgium, or just spiteful enough to do anything possible to snub the Francophone population.

Bruno

#148043 - 12/03/2003 02:18 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: wfaulk]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Poirot?

#148044 - 12/03/2003 03:47 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: Heather]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
when they tried to change the name of sauerkraut to liberty cabbage during WWII

[boggle] Did they eat liberty sausage, too? What about Italian pasta -- liberty noodles? I guess sushi wasn't widespread enough in those days to get called liberty fish?

And anyway, are those things called French fries anywhere other than the US? A Briton would understand the term, but would be more likely to call them chips; according to Larousse, the French themselves call them "pommes de terre pont-neuf", apparently after some chip-like decoration round a statue on the Pont-Neuf in Paris, though this sounds like an urban legend to me. Larousse doesn't mention the Belgium thing, but then it's far from impartial on the issue of whether stuff was invented in France or not.

Peter

#148045 - 12/03/2003 03:56 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Besides, don't most places in the US batter their fries now anyway? That's Chicken-Fried Fries and belongs in the garbage.

Last week a friend and I were in a very nice restaurant that's just opened in Cambridge -- called Bruno's Brasserie, believe it or not -- and there was something very odd about the outline of the chips that came with her supreme of duck with Thai spices. After due investigation we determined that they'd been battered before being fried. They were actually very nice, though you couldn't eat more than a few.

Peter

#148046 - 12/03/2003 06:59 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: pgrzelak]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Remember, half the population is dumber than the "average" person

That reminds me of my favorite message from despair.com:
Meetings - Because none of us are as dumb as all of us.

#148047 - 12/03/2003 07:38 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
"pommes de terre pont-neuf"
FWIW, they taught us "pommes frites" in French class.

#148048 - 12/03/2003 08:07 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: BryanR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Poirot
Very, very close, but no cigar.

#148049 - 12/03/2003 08:13 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: peter]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
After due investigation we determined that they'd been battered before being fried.

They used to put those on the bar as savouries at our office local....delicious with too much salt and vinegar! - but I thought that they fried them, before battering them.

#148050 - 12/03/2003 08:17 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: boxer]
peter
carpal tunnel

but I thought that they fried them, before battering them.

Hmm, dunno. Could be. If so, they must of course have fried them again afterwards...

Peter

#148051 - 12/03/2003 09:17 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: pgrzelak]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
Remember, half the population is dumber than the "average" person...

surely you mean "median".

--dan.

#148052 - 12/03/2003 09:32 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: hybrid8]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
The number of threads currently demonizing the American government and more personally President Bush truly astounds me. I will agree that "freedom fries" are a bad attempt at being witty, even a borrowed bad attempt. However to say that politicians do nothing or are a waste of money is oversimplification to the point of lunacy. Certainly changing the menu in the House can account for no more wasted money than the amount of lost productivity related to most of our post counts.

Edited by revlmwest (12/03/2003 09:34)

#148053 - 12/03/2003 09:35 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hystericaly [Re: revlmwest]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Certainly changing the menu in the House can account for no more wasted money than the amount of lost productivity related to most of our post counts.
That's "freedom counts", Rev.

#148054 - 12/03/2003 12:53 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: revlmwest]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
The number of threads currently demonizing the American government and more personally President Bush truly astounds me.

Of course, I suspect that you could find a BBS or two where the number of threads heroicizing the present American gov/administration and Bush personally would astound *me*.

Certainly changing the menu in the House can account for no more wasted money than the amount of lost productivity related to most of our post counts.

While this BBS, perhaps unlike some others, certainly leans toward the anti-administration/Bush/war perspective, I don't see the communication as juvenile, uninformative or unproductive in the way that I see "Freedom Fries" to be. (Poor Belgium, unacknowledged as the leader in diced potato technology!!) And where else are you hearing directly from citizens of several other counties about their perspective on our country's course? Oh, if you find a BBS where citizens of other countries are begging us to invade Iraq, please post the URL!

Personally, I am distressed that an immediate combination of both work and the prospect of no work has made it hard for me to follow the several recent political threads, never mind respond to them. That may change soon! In the meantime, I offer you a link to a radio show (those left-wing NPR shows!) that I think spent some quality time illuminating aspects of the Bush administration and perhaps why you and I would strongly disagree about the administration's admirability/despicability score. It is a recent installment of "To the Point". Bush-specific content begins at about 07:58. My apologies to streaming media purists!! It is in Real format!! (dang, all these NPR shows seem to be in Real. Some type of conspiracy?)

Be back soon!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#148055 - 13/03/2003 08:52 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: jimhogan]
boxer
pooh-bah

Changing direction slightly, how could you possibly have any problem with a country that produced the Citroen DS19?

My objects of desire, that I wish to own before I pass on, are a Citroen DS19 Decopatable and a Revox tape recorder. An Empeg would be the third, but I already have one.

Come to think of it, was an Empeg ever sold in France, I don't seem to have seen a French entry on the BBS?

- Oh, and I couldn't fall out with a Country that produced Alain Delon gangster films!

#148056 - 13/03/2003 08:58 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: boxer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Or made ``Grand Illusion''. For those of you that haven't seen this, now is probably a good time.

#148057 - 13/03/2003 09:49 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: boxer]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Changing direction slightly, how could you possibly have any problem with a country that produced the Citroen DS19?

I probably didn't express myself well. My reference to Belgium was just to lampoon our indignant renaming of a French product that isn't French!

I don't have a problem with the country -- I have spent 75% of my vacations there over the past 5 years. Yes, some folks can be distant or even rude, but I love the roads, the small towns, the coasts, the food. People have been very nice to me.

The government (or the "political" France on the world stage)? Sometimes infuriating as in their last, pointless round of nuke testing, sometimes impenetrable. In the present case, I can think of some not-so-good reasons they are taking the stand that they are (like increasing their own position, avoiding dealing with some of their own commercial history with Iraq, perhaps), but it doesn't make their position wrong.

My objects of desire, that I wish to own before I pass on, are a Citroen DS19 Decopatable and a Revox tape recorder.

I always thought Revox (a major object of my unrequited lust in the 70s...) was Swiss!

Come to think of it, was an Empeg ever sold in France, I don't seem to have seen a French entry on the BBS?

Nosferatu, for one.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#148058 - 13/03/2003 11:56 Re: The rest of the world must be laughing hysteri [Re: jimhogan]
boxer
pooh-bah

I don't have a problem with the country

You're absolutely right, I'm off again to Paris in a fortnight - I first went with my family in '57: I vividly remember my parents being given the very best claret that had been hidden from the Nazis, by an effusively grateful hotelier: I also spent eight weeks with a French family in the early 60's.

Those times have gone, as has so much that made France individual (like the DS19). But aren't the French like a lot of races: Easy to love as individuals; hard to take as an entity.

I was going to put that in my original posting, but I thought that it made it ramble - and I'm scared stiff of upsetting the Grammar Police.

You are also right: The Revox is Swiss, I believe one of our number is a Studer engineer - the parent company. I just meant that those were my 3 objects of desire, not my 3 French objects of desire!

I'm off to a vintage audio fair sunday, I may yet get a Revox. But they do command very high prices. The DS19 may take a little longer, especially the very rare decapotable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >