Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163881 - 02/06/2003 17:56 titanium powerbook
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I'm borrowing one of the old 400mhz G4 powerbooks from work for JavaOne and I gotta say, this thing is pretty great. I'm very curious what the 867mhz's are like -- anyone have one and care to share a review? One complaint I have about this one is that apparently my lap is the heatsink for the processor -- it runs pretty darn hot (this is one of the early revs, though, so I'm sure they have worked on this, right?). And speaking of heat, the power button becomes a cigarette lighter after it's been on for a bit.

Anyone happen to have an ADC discount available?

ms

#163882 - 03/06/2003 00:13 Re: titanium powerbook [Re: mschrag]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
And speaking of heat, the power button becomes a cigarette lighter after it's been on for a bit.

maybe it's a clever ploy by apple to stop you turning the mac off?

#163883 - 03/06/2003 00:45 Re: titanium powerbook [Re: mschrag]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I had a G4/400 PB and now have a 12" G4/867.

The 400 runs warm and it only gets hotter with faster processors.The 867 can get hot enough to literally cook an egg on, but surprisingly, the fan only comes on when the vents are obscured. Another useful thing is that the fan speed on the 867 is variable, so when it does come on, it's not too distracting. The 400 got annoying when it would heat up, turn on the (noisy) fan to cool down, then start the cycle over.

When charging, the 400 does get really hot around the top-right corner where the power supply (and the power button) is. The 867 gets even hotter.

Apple have just dropped the US prices on both models as it looks like the 12" is due for an update and the 15" is likely getting replaced with an aluminium model.