Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#164171 - 04/06/2003 20:23 Multiple Video Card Issues
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
First, thanks to those who've helped me through previous problems with my new system. I'm slowly working all the kinks out, and minus the CPU that's on its way back to California, everything is playing nicely.

But I have run into one quirk compared to my old setup. I am running an Abit NF7-S rev2.0 with two video cards under Win2K. The AGP card is a Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead Max, and the PCI card is a Matrox Mystique. I also have a Matrox Rainbow Runner video capture card that I use in conjunction with the G400.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that the older Mystique card shows up as Adapter #1, and the newer G400 card shows up as Adapter #2 (in the Video Properties screen where you select the monitor position, etc.) I can set #2 (the G400) to be the primary, but my video capture card wants the G400 to be Display #1, regardless of whether it's the primary or not.

I've tried to Google my way into some way to change the order around (so that #1 is the G400 and #2 is the Mystique) but I haven't found anything. The thing is, on my KT7-RAID, the cards were numbered properly, and everything worked fine.

The workaround I've come up with is to disable the Mystique when I do video capturing, but this is definitely not ideal. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers, but whenever I reboot, the Mystique reverts to being #1.

So does anyone know what causes a particular display adaptor to become #1 versus #2? I'm not talking about which one is primary (which can be set by the user,) rather, which display gets assigned the #1 versus the #2. I can't seem to find any way to make the AGP card be the #1 card in my system, and that just doesn't seem right.

Thanks.

#164172 - 04/06/2003 20:33 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Check in your computer's BIOS settings. I seem to remember some AGP vs. PCI affinity settings in some computers I've dealt with.

#164173 - 04/06/2003 20:58 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Yeah, checked that. The option is called something like "Init Display First" and AGP/PCI are the options. AGP is selected, and, indeed, when the PC first boots up, all BIOS messages, etc. go to the AGP card.

#164174 - 04/06/2003 22:14 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: tonyc]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
I know it sounds daft, but which order did you install the video cards in?

I have come across some general weirdness when using win2k with multiple outputs, if you simply stick in all the cards and install the drivers. It seems to want each card to be installed in turn, have the drivers added, and to be rebooted at least once before the next one is put in. Also, I seem to recall hearing or reading it works better if the PCI card(s) are installed before the AGP one.

It might be worth uninstalling all the video devices completely using the uninstall wizard (use show hidden devices as well, you may well have multiple instances of one or more of the cards installed, w2k is a bugger for that), turning it off, and removing the agp card, and starting again.

pca

#164175 - 05/06/2003 07:55 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: pca]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I actually went AGP card first, then PCI, since I wanted the AGP card to be "card #1." Which it was, until the PCI card was installed, and he decided he was more important than the new card. Ornery bastard.

#164176 - 06/06/2003 10:34 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: tonyc]
JrFaust

Loc: New Richmond, WI
One other thing to try if you have open PCI slots is to move it down the slots or just try the last PCI slot on the board. Also I know the PCI Matrox cards used to have jumpers see if one of them changes the cards priority.

#164177 - 06/06/2003 10:56 Re: Multiple Video Card Issues [Re: JrFaust]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Hm, interesting suggestions... I'll give those a shot.