Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162381 - 21/05/2003 10:59 Now *this* is a song list!
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Forget "Top 40" or the "best songs of the 90s, 80s..." or the "Best Songs of the Past 100 Years" (a la the "NPR 100").

How 'bout let's try the "best" of the past 1000 years: 1000 Years of Popular Music.

I felt compelled to plug this little gem after seeing RT last evening. He did an absolutely kick-ass job on So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo. His more detailed notes and opinions on the songs are here. I do hope that he'll take OTYOPM on the road.

Great show (again). And all those posts where I say there are no gods? I lied.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#162382 - 21/05/2003 11:23 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: jimhogan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
"Oops I did it again" reaches nr. 19 in the poll of most popular music in 1000 years???

I fear for the human race.

#162383 - 21/05/2003 11:32 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: BartDG]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
I thought that odd as well, but I figured that there was another song I was unaware of.... Even if someone narrowed the list to only Britney songs I'm not sure that one would make the top 5.

#162384 - 21/05/2003 11:34 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: mwest]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I figured that there was another song I was unaware of....
I thought the same thing at first, but I doubt it's the case. Not a title likely to be reused is it?

#162385 - 21/05/2003 11:36 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: BartDG]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

"Oops I did it again" ....
I fear for the human race.

"Taken out of context, this is a pretty nice song.", he says. Among other things, I think Thompson revels in being a bit arch in his attempts at fun. He didn't play that song last night and I didn't manage to get the CD, so I'll just have to wait to see what he does with it. I'll bet it's fun, though!

Oh, and it was probably my misappropriation to bill this as purely a "Best" compilation. In fairness to RT, I'm not sure that's exactly what he's saying.

Oh, and the tour bus looks to be heading south to California for anyone looking to get a dose...just be advised that I think you have to be over 40 to get in!

#162386 - 21/05/2003 21:02 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: BartDG]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Give us another 1000 years, and I'm sure it'll have dropped off.

#162387 - 22/05/2003 09:19 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: canuckInOR]
csf

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I owned Rumor and Sigh year and years ago before it was stolen! Having an overseas following, I haven't been able to find it again - plus, Richard and Thompson don't exactly give unique results with search engines of any sort.

Psycho Street... friendly people down on Psycho Street.

#162388 - 22/05/2003 10:38 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: csf]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
1952 Vincent Black Lightning *still* gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, and Ive been listening to that album (Rumour and Sigh) for at least 10 years...

#162389 - 22/05/2003 10:43 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: csf]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
I haven't been able to find it again
There are a couple on ebay...

#162390 - 22/05/2003 13:59 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: fusto]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

I think there is now a law that he can't do a show without that song or (likewise much to my glee) Al Bowlly's In Heaven. When it's a band tour I want more acoustic. When it's an acoustic show, I miss the electric. Hard to please! There were a few songs Tuesday eve where I could *swear* he was playing a twelve string at different points, but just some serious harmonics and a few electronic bits, I guess. A few completist bits about his guitar situation here (I hadn't seen his new aquamarine electric before, but could tell it wasn't his old aqua strat...)

I just went looking for his new "The Old Kit Bag" CD at a shop here, but they didn't have the version with the bonus CD. I did see 2 copies of R&S in the bin. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some of his catalog gets harder to find as some of the older Richard and Linda albums now seem to be (Thank Heavens I'm a Fair Completist!)

Still waiting for the "1000 Years" CD. I'm less curious about his rendition of "Oops" than I am about his cover of an ABBA tune. RT does ABBA??? It did make me think: Who is the Stephen Foster or Cole Porter of the turn of the century? The 80s, 90s and Oughts?

You do not really have to be 40 to get into the show, but I dragged an RT-deprived friend along who is just around 40 and he remarked that for the first time in a very long time he was conscious of being significantly *younger* than average at a concert!

(I am vindicated, as I had tried a few times to get him to a show and he has now emphatically admitted what he was missing...)

#162391 - 29/05/2003 11:43 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: BartDG]
njtomlin
stranger

Loc: The Ohio Valley (USA)
Amen! That one shouldn't make a list of "Best songs of the Last 1000 Minutes" much less years.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers though...

#162392 - 09/06/2003 23:09 Re: Now *this* is a song list! [Re: BartDG]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

"Oops I did it again".....I fear for the human race.

Fear not. I finally got "1000 Years of Popular Music", and got to hear "Oops!" and I have to agree with Thompson. Removed from the midriff-pop context, it's a pretty good tune!

Some wag once described the theme of RT's songwriting as "Boy Meets Girl. Blood Everywhere". With his dark spin on "Oops", I could almost take it for an RT song if I didn't know better (and I don't quite think that the word Oops would ever make it into his lyrics otherwise).

The CD is a very clean live recording and it is loaded with beauts, It's not as much of a guitar showcase as I might have expected, and I don't think it will get worn out on my turntable, but I would love to see OTYOPM if he ever takes it on tour beyond NYC/LAX (if only for the sing along!).

Oh, and a very clever closing track "Marry, Ageyn Hic Hev Donne Yt" Trad, arr by Thompson. Right.