Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#199990 - 22/01/2004 10:31 Can you really sue for stating the facts?
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
The Department of Citrus is miffed that the low-carb diets state that orange juice is high in sugar and are not good for low carb diets. (CNN story) It says that "The department's lawyer also is reviewing legal options against some books, such as "The South Beach Diet," that discourage orange juice for dieting purposes because of its high sugar levels. "

Is this ridiculous or what? They are stating a known fact in a book, and now someone is considering legal action against them for it? Well then make a sugarless orange, Pace Picante made a heatless jalapeno... Or do they need the money from the diet authors first to do the research on a sugarless orange?

#199991 - 22/01/2004 10:54 Re: Can you really sue for stating the facts? [Re: davec]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You can sue for anything at all. I could sue you for failing to have an Internet connection. (Point being that there are no restrictions on what one can sue for, from the ridiculously pointless to the actually false.) Of course, it would be thrown out of court immediately, but I could still fill out the paperwork.

They do have something of a legitimate complaint in that people are implicitly telling folks that oranges will make them fat. It's not much of a complaint, but it's more than my example. I think they'd be better served by ignoring it, though.

#199992 - 22/01/2004 19:10 Re: Can you really sue for stating the facts? [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
You should start suing for poor grammar and spelling. It would giving "being bitted" a whole new meaning

#199993 - 23/01/2004 19:16 Re: Can you really sue for stating the facts? [Re: Daria]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
That reminded me of a book I purchased recently called Eats, Shoots & Leaves. When I purchased the book, I must admit that, even after some months of abstinence from this place, I thought that buying and reading this title might appease the "master of grammar" himself!

I've not read it all (yet) but it's written by someone whose intolerance of bad punctuation has become a self-obsession and makes for an amusing read.

My punctuation has improved a little from reading it but, since the book concentrates more on the "wrongs" rather than the "rights", it's hard to use as a guide to better grammar (not that that's what it's meant to be).

So, suggestions on easily-digestible books on punctuating me inglish betta wood be much appreciated guvnor.