Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209758 - 18/03/2004 07:23 Any Nixie fanatics / watchmakers out there?
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have become increasingly interested in (well, obsessed with) the thought of a nixie watch. I have been looking at Jeff Thomas's design, and I really like the idea. Unfortunately, he is sold out.

I have contacted him trying to see if any partial kits are available. Still no confirmation back on if anything is available to order, but a previous email showed that the main item that was missing was more subminiature nixie tubes. Like the NOS boxed NL-7477s that are pictured for sale here. And are no longer available because some nutcase bought the batch of them for watch experiments...

So, I am wondering if anyone has had experience with these things, or would like to try creating a nixie pocketwatch. I am looking for something along the lines of the scope pocketwatch seen here, except perhaps smaller and more along the lines of a regular pocketwatch for the form factor.

Any bored SMT hardware geeks out there with way too much time on their hands who would like to be sponsored / commissioned / funded for a project like this? I still have email in to Jeff Thomas to see if he has any kits left or if he is interested in building any additionals, but I thought I would ask here as well.

Just something for those hardware folks to think about. If anyone is interested, drop me an email.

#209759 - 19/03/2004 19:16 Re: Any Nixie fanatics / watchmakers out there? [Re: pgrzelak]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Why not one of those Nortika displays genned up into a clock. Then you could have your favorite empeg animations at the change of digits. I know, its not a cool as a genuine antique nixie tube.

I wonder if there are any glassblowers out there looking for a challenge.

BTW, I have one of the desktop Cathode Clocks. Way Cool. All the tech/geeks are envious.