Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#200273 - 25/01/2004 00:53 Rosie Reid: Why society sucks.
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Okay, you're an 18 year old, white woman, raised in a stable home, who CHOSES to persue a college education, yet you blame the government for your DECISION to prostitude your virginity so you can live COMFORTABLY. I'm sorry, I've met people who have a hard life and who could use a little help from society to get on their feet so they can sustain themselves, but this woman is exactly why so many of us are disgusted my entitlements. This is the same school where Prime Minister Tony Blair's son Euan is also a student. Yeah POOR Rosie.

This "poor college" student thing is a crock of shit. I CHOSE to go to college and CHOSE to rent a closet so I could afford to enjoy the LUXURY of having a college education. I wasn't demanding a handout or larger loan from people who are paying taxes so I could have a TV in my room and a new laptop. If I couldn't afford that closet, it'd be nobody's fault, just a fact of life. I would have waited a few years while I worked elsewhere or done what I could. And I'm LUCKY to even have that as an option as I've met people that truely are in NEED.

Sorry, had to vent. I suppose a link would be handy huh?

#200274 - 25/01/2004 04:07 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Everybody I know managed to survive through university for at least 3 years without doing this to themselves. To be honest she should just spend less and maybe she won't get into so much debt...

It states that she get a £3000 student loan every year which is half what she needs to cover fees etc.. The thing is that the amount you pay for tuition fees is variable and based on your household income. It's also capped at £1000 a year for UK students. They assess your household income and work out how much you pay based on that. The scale starts at £0 as well.

She's basically doing it to get famous and earn a quick buck by the looks of it. Being broke at times during university is just part and parcel of being a student. Bah. This has gotten me quite annoyed actually.

#200275 - 25/01/2004 04:33 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Well BOO HOO luv !!!

Get a grip girl! My brother left Uni last year, he can't find a job in the area he wants so he is having to work for a living to pay off his debts of well over £10k. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD !!!

I'm lucky. 7 years after leaving college my employer is putting me through a 4 year Computer Science degree. The only down side is that I have to put in 36 hours at work, doing my job, and about 20 hours in my own time for the Uni work.

I think Tony Blair has got it right with fees anyway. Why should I pay for her education ??? She's the one who is going to be cashing in at the end, and if you can't get a job maybe you should have looked into the whole thing a bit more before you started.

I think some people expect everything to be easy, you have to work and pay for what you want out of life.

End of Rant. Thanks.

Cheers

Cris.

#200276 - 25/01/2004 09:01 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hmmm....

"...So far more than 400 men, many of them sickos..."

What, not all????

#200277 - 25/01/2004 09:34 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

I'm more wondering if she's being serious or just trying to get publicity. A while back somebody was auctioning the right to marry her. In the end she decided to give up on the idea as "I was very disappointed when I found out that the bids were not genuine - I would have been happy to marry anyone who came up with the cash."
Who seriously thinks that putting yourself up for marriage or sex on eBay would get real bids? You may get a couple but you're definately going to swamped by the sheer numbers of false bids. She denied that it was a publicity stunt for her company as well.

I'd be very surprised if Rosie Reid actually goes through with it all. The pessamistic view would be that she continues with the charade and then near the end cancels it due to some technicality. During this time she'll be busy selling her story to the highest bidder etc..

#200278 - 25/01/2004 10:03 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
If it's in the paper she's probably already made a few grand, possibly more. Job done, no shagging involved.

Andy M

#200279 - 25/01/2004 10:22 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I'd hit it!

-sorry, I had to do it.

#200280 - 25/01/2004 11:03 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

Hmm. Good point. News of the World say it's an exclusive so they must have forked out a substantial amount already.

#200281 - 25/01/2004 12:55 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: tman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
The pessamistic view would be that she continues with the charade and then near the end cancels it due to some technicality.
"What? You mean solicitation is illegal? I didn't know that, I don't want to go to jail. I'll just cancel the auction, okay?"

#200282 - 21/03/2004 12:17 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

#200283 - 21/03/2004 14:00 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Cris
pooh-bah

lol, well it wasn't me, I'm a BT Engineer!!!

They must pay our lads too much down in London, that sort of thing goes for about £30 here in Leeds, not that I'd know about that sort of thing

Cheers

Cris.

#200284 - 21/03/2004 14:08 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: Cris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Yes, but you DO have expensive tastes if your choice of restaurant is anything to go by. I hardly think the guy is going to admit it - "it was horrible!".

#200285 - 21/03/2004 14:41 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Please forgive me if I have no sympathy for her. A lot of other people work, struggle, save and do everything they can to get an education. Many have loans and debt that follow them for years afterward.

She chose to prostitute herself for the cash, rather than try to earn the money legally. The fact that she claims it went so much against her morals only shows that she is willing to sell out more than just her body. And the public method (ebay auctions, private auctions, appeals to the media) only goes to show that she wanted as much press coverage, interest and exposure that she could get. The only thing missing was the webcam, to prove that it was actually happening.

Well, she got what she wanted: money, publicity, etc. She has to live with her choices. Somehow, I don't think she will have too much trouble doing so. But I suspect that we will all hear from her again. Interviews of how "horrible" it was. Perhaps a blog telling of how she spent the money. Perhaps an appeal to pay for her friend's tuition. Perhaps she will make a career out of this. After all, once you sell yourself like that (physically, morally, ethically) it then just becomes a matter of price.

Edit: This is, of course, assuming the entire thing wasn't completely fake - just a publicity stunt. If that is the case, I hope some newspaper did buy the rights, and loses on their purchase. A rather strange piece of fiction. And who more anonymous as a "buyer" - a BT employee...

Edited by pgrzelak (21/03/2004 15:02)

#200286 - 22/03/2004 15:23 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
butter
enthusiast

Loc: State side
did he or didn't he?

link
[blue]fitter, happier, more productive[/blue]

#200287 - 22/03/2004 16:18 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks UPDATE! [Re: butter]
Cris
pooh-bah

"monster telco....welfare of our employee"

LOL, oh how I laughed

This guy gets lucky and they are "concerned", I get asulted at work and all I got was a call from HR to make sure I didn't hit the customer back. Don't you love the PR machine!

Ah well.

Cris.

#200288 - 22/03/2004 21:57 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Sorry, had to vent.

Brad, you should get pissed off about something important. Like maybe the nominal leader of your nation lied to you and as a result 500+ fellow citizens got blown to fuckall and about 3000+ are now missing various important bits.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#200289 - 23/03/2004 06:30 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Jim, there are about 20 Bush bashing threads already, why not keep it there or start another one.

#200290 - 23/03/2004 22:55 Re: Rosie Reid: Why society sucks. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Jim, there are about 20 Bush bashing threads already, why not keep it there or start another one.

Brad, I am going to try to "get back on the horse", post more regularly (pretty much limited to evening hours now) and add to the various Bush-bashing threads fer sure (and start some new ones, you bet!)

I think I was in a bad mood, but I wasn't thinking of this as a Bush bash -- didn't want to hijack this when, like you say, so many Bush threads are already available. I guess the gist of my post (dig? poke? needle?) was along the lines of: even the most outraged among us have a finite amount of outrage to allocate. I am just perplexed sometimes at the Daily Mirror types of things that people allocate their outrage to and the other (cough!) things that somehow don't seem to get their fair (IMHO) share of that finite outrage.

Being outraged, it's tiring! You gotta pace yourself!

I am in a better mood now. I helped a good guy get a job today. Yes, in *this* economy. I did.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.