Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225647 - 02/07/2004 15:36 Shady.
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not normally a conspiracy theory kind of guy, but I am really seeing way too much of this kind of thing lately from the US government and military. I realize there are certain times that court proceedings need to be censored, and maybe it's not a good idea to give Saddam a platform to broadcast his message to the world... But it seems every other day (and especially since the Abu Gharib scandal) there's another news story about vise grips being placed on the testicles of our media outlets. Did the whole freedom of the press thing get excised from the 1st amendment while I wasn't looking?

Edited by tonyc (02/07/2004 15:37)

#225648 - 02/07/2004 15:44 Re: Shady. [Re: tonyc]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

At least people aren't being dragged off in secret, hidden in prisons without access to legal advice, tortured, and then tried behind locked doors.

Oh, hang on...

There is no such thing as secret justice.

#225649 - 02/07/2004 18:59 Re: Shady. [Re: tonyc]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I can understand the request to keep the name of the judge and the identities of the court officers secret. When you're in Iraq and you've got Saddam's remaining supporters looking to kill you for taking on their big boss, that makes sense.

Muting Saddam himself seems to be less justifiable. One can imagine the desire to prevent him speaking in some sort of "code" that his followers will understand to mean something specific. We've certainly seen similar precautions taken in the context of taped bin Laden messages, but it makes much less sense for Saddam. Al Qaeda needs to avoid leaving a trail of phone records and whatnot, in order to guarantee that the compromise of one cell doesn't disrupt another. Saddam's remaining loyalists are unlikely to be taking orders from Saddam any more. Saddam has absolutely no idea what the condition of his remaining loyalists might be, and there's unlikely to be much, if any, opportunity for them to have a back-channel.

So, I agree that it's difficult to justify all the secrecy. On the other hand, put Saddam's trial in perspective for how other former dictators have made out in the past. Saddam's lucky he isn't already hanging from a street pole.

#225650 - 02/07/2004 19:18 Re: Shady. [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wait... you mean that Al Queda doesn't take its orders from Saddam?!