Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238563 - 21/10/2004 18:00 Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed?
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/html/new_10_21_04.html#1

Things like the conclusions of the 9/11 commission aren't subjective; You can have an opinion of the validity of their conclusions, but not what their conclusions were. Those were published and thus verifiable.

So (assuming this is true; I lack a sufficient sample size to prove it) what's the problem? Is the media lying to us, or what?

#238564 - 21/10/2004 18:07 Re: Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed? [Re: Daria]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I think Bush has been talking to Steve Jobs and learning his methods of reality field distortion.

Actually, it's not that hard to believe after talking to my brother. He's 21, not really interested in politics at all, and only goes by what he hears from TV snippets and so on. He actually thought we attacked Iraq because they were directly involved with 9/11. I was incensed when he told me that. I spent the next 3 hours trying to inform him of the reality of the situation, and explain to him why not voting for Kerry because he "threw back his purple hearts" (which isn't even factually true, he only threw his ribbons on the White House lawn) is incredibly ridiculous. He had the "Kerry is a pussy" mindset, despite the obvious opposite reality. Argh... it still infuriates me heh.

There are a hell of a lot of people who don't watch the news, or read the newspapers. And those that do watch the news probably watch local news and don't bother to fact check. The media is a sound board for campaign propaganda and don't question it, but parrot it, so it's easy to see why so many are misinformed.

#238565 - 21/10/2004 18:09 Re: Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed? [Re: loren]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Does Steve mislead? I generally don't watch when he talks, even if I do use his product ("I drank the koolaid").

#238566 - 21/10/2004 18:14 Re: Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed? [Re: Daria]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Nah, it's just an old adage about Steve... he has a reality distortion field. Come to think of it I can't even recall the basis of that saying... researching...

Ah, here's a good breakdown. Different sort of field I guess.

Quote:
This field is created around the Apple CEO and is equal in size to the auditorium in which he is speaking. He says things like "insanely great" and "this is really exciting," and you find yourself pumping your fist in the air, hissing "Yesss, yesss!" You get teary eyed watching forthcoming advertisements. (Remember the first commercial in the Think Different campaign? "Here's to the crazy ones, the rebels...") And then the speech is over and you leave the auditorium and suddenly realize that you just got emotional over an ad for computers, that you were up out of your chair screaming and yelling about new software, that it was all because this guy, Steve Jobs, made it seem so darned great.

Edited by loren (21/10/2004 18:15)

#238567 - 21/10/2004 18:28 Re: Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed? [Re: loren]
Daria
carpal tunnel

And I wonder if it is really that great. That said, the powerbook I have is sleek, sexy hardware, and MacOS 10.3 has been working out fairly well for me, so I shouldn't complain. As a developer it has some sticking points, and unrelated, mostly, I'd like them to be fully open source. But I won't hold my breath.

#238568 - 23/10/2004 02:10 Re: Please tell me we aren't collectively this uninformed? [Re: Daria]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Bump...

This story has been getting a lot of play on Air America Radio!

Peter
Miami, FL USA