Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#240045 - 03/11/2004 07:20 Composite Video to PC Monitor
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Is there a simple way to convert a composite video signal to feed into an ordinary monitor(D - Sub), without involving a PC, plenty exist that are also TV tuners, but I don't need that - just the ability to feed the VCR or DVD signal in to the monitor?

#240046 - 03/11/2004 14:33 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Scan in Bolton do a range of products that do that (I think most have TV tuners in ) see here, here or here.

Hope that helps the search.

Cris.

#240047 - 03/11/2004 14:44 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: boxer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I've got one at work, and while I don't remember the brand, the general market seemed to be using your video game console on a TV monitor. I'll look and see what brand it is when I get into work.

Matthew

#240048 - 03/11/2004 14:57 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: Cris]
tman
carpal tunnel

The last one isn't a video -> VGA adapter.

Quote:
This product is used as a high quality intermediate connection between a range of audio/visual hardware (e.g. DVD or Analogue Terrestrial TV, PS2 with video out cable) and either a TV or a PC graphics card with TV in. The purpose is to transport both Teletext and Nicam stereo information to a device (TV or Graphics Card) that does not ordinarily support these. The multiple outputs allow for simultaneous viewing on more than one device. The graphics card CPU would be tasked with delivering the high quality input signal to the PC monitor. The PC would need to be on for this scenario. As of yet these is not a version available that incorporates a Freeview receiver.

I've got a slightly differently branded version of the first one and it works okay. It's a bit fuzzy if you get up close but apart from that it works quite well. There is a Creative branded version which is identical apart from the casing and remote. My InnoDV branded one actually comes up with a Creative logo when you turn it on.

#240049 - 03/11/2004 15:07 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: tman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Yea, I didn't really chack the speccs that close, not sure what boxer really wants to do.

#240050 - 03/11/2004 17:04 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Here's the scenario, Mrs.Boxer has a desire to have a flat screen TV in the kitchen, not a bad idea, because space is at a premium. At work, we have the odd extra flat screen monitor knocking about.
As well as space being at a premium, getting wires around is a problem: Walls are between 2 to 3 ft. thick - as Cris well knows, wireless networks struggle to get through the stonework.
However, I have a wired remote extender, that will operate anything in the lounge (Sky+,DVD,VCR etc.) I also have audio and video wiring from the lounge to the kitchen which does not seem to suffer from signal loss: threaded round the door frames.
Some time ago, I bought an AV 6way switching box, with remote control, from Maplins on special offer.
What I'm thinking is that buying a digital terrestial box, which are dirt cheap now, it can be fed, via the switch box (which can also connect any of the previously mentioned equipment) through to, and controlled from the kitchen - so I don't need the TV tuner, just the conversion from composite to D-Sub.
At the same time, the TV aerial cable, which currently takes the same route through to the kitchen can be removed to make way for CAT5, to connect up the Rio Receiver, which just doesn't hack it with a WET 11 on a wireless network.

If all that's clear, I'll leave you now for Jet2 to Venice, where as far as I can see from the papers, I will be sandbagging St.Mark's square to help out, for the next four days! - thanks for the helpful suggestions, gang.

#240051 - 03/11/2004 17:55 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: boxer]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
There are quite a few such devices on ebay for converting composite > VGA. Do a search for "vga adapter" etc, the cheapest ones usually come from Hong Kong.

However I have seen a few which mention "not LCD compatible" so I presume you need to check the frequencies to make sure it will work.

Gareth

#240052 - 03/11/2004 18:00 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: g_attrill]
tman
carpal tunnel

Most LCDs don't do interlaced mode which is what most of the cheap adapter boxes want to output.

#240053 - 03/11/2004 19:37 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: matthew_k]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
We're using this one at work to do exactly the thing you're trying to do. We've got an AV cart with an "old" flat screen monitor on it. It works well, I've never noticed any other deficencies. Not that it matters to you, but everything's "solid state" so the settings never get reset and it sits in the bottom and no one ever has to mess with it.

Matthew

#240054 - 15/11/2004 07:26 Re: Composite Video to PC Monitor [Re: matthew_k]
boxer
pooh-bah

Thanks Matthew, the StarTech does the job perfectly, with an excellent, crisp picture. Not your fault, but regrettably on my AOC monitor a message comes up saying "Monitor does not support this signal" or something like. AOC helpline say "That is a problem caused by too high frequency out from your AV out.
as max frequency supported by this monitor is 80KHz/75Hz ,Max
resolution
is 1280*1024/85Hz"
StarTech haven't replied to my enquiry yet.
So I'm done for with this one, unless someone knows a work around?