Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242731 - 28/11/2004 22:38 Strange DNS resolution problem
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi there!

I'm posting a question for a friend of mine (Carol), who is having a problem with her domain flerdle.net. When she connects to the internet and types this URL into her browser (don't know what software/version, but it's MS Windows based) she gets a message about not being able to resolve the server. When she uses Ping Plotter to ping the domain name, she gets the same result. When she then pings her webhost, www.netoverdrive.com.au, this then resolves perfectly; after that all access to flerdle.net work perfectly too.

She is in a country with only one ISP (Oman) and is using a dial-up ISDN line. She's using DHCP to get an IP address and DNS settings. She's not having this problem for any other website. Now I'm not an expert when it comes to DNS and that sort of stuff - can any of you more brainy people find out what might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

#242732 - 29/11/2004 00:08 Re: Strange DNS resolution problem [Re: PaulWay]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If she's using DHCP, her DNS server is probably set via DHCP. So I can see two possible problems. One, she accidentally has her DNS servers set manually and incorrectly. If that's the case, change the setting back to use the DHCP assigned DNS server. Two, for some reason, the DHCP assigned DNS server isn't being used properly. So try setting it manually.

The DNS server location moves around in Windows a lot, so just go searching for it. It should be in a network control panel somewhere.

These are just guesses, as the symptoms you describe don't make a lot of sense.

#242733 - 29/11/2004 00:30 Re: Strange DNS resolution problem [Re: wfaulk]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Using 'ipconfig' usually lists your IP configuration for each interface. I'll see what that says.

Yes, you're right, it makes no sense. I'll try to get more details from Carol as we progress. But it's the sort of thing that my experience tells me someone will say "Ah, you have the reverse underflow DNS x-mask bug!" and will proffer a neat solution to. I hope.

Have fun,

Paul