Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#249432 - 15/02/2005 21:49 Private plate question (UK)
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I'm looking for a private plate but the DVLA have told me that its a standard issue plate (J79 ***). Is there any way at all to obtain this plate? Even if I managed to locate the current owner of the car its on, is there any way to get it transfered for a fee? I'm hoping someone here can advise me

#249433 - 15/02/2005 22:10 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The owner of the plate could definitely transfer it to another car or onto a retention document. I don't know whether they could transfer it to you, though I think they should be able to.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_transfering.htm
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/cherish.htm

Unfortunately nothing on the DVLA website seems to lay out the exact rules and most of the forms aren't available to download. It might be easier just to call them and ask.

#249434 - 15/02/2005 22:32 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
As he says you can transfer any plate onto retention or to another car for the standard fee (£80 or so).

However I think J1-99 would have originally been sold at a higher price, so the owner might want a few £££ before they sell it.

The other problem is finding the owner, you can get owner's information under the Data Protection Act but you need a good reason - and apparently wanting to ask the owner if they want to sell their registration is NOT accepted. You could lie about the reason but if they found out you would probably get into some trouble.

You can get the make/model by doing a car data check at www.theaa.com

Gareth

#249435 - 15/02/2005 22:53 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: g_attrill]
andy
carpal tunnel

Of course you can get the make/model of a car for free just by starting an insurance quote at one of the many online insurance sites.

Edit: though I can't help thinking that someone at some point will decide that is some sort of violation of peoples' privacy

Edited by andy (15/02/2005 22:56)

#249436 - 16/02/2005 06:13 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andy]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Can I just clarify what I mean... the plate I want was never available to buy as a private plate. Its just a bog-standard number plate - nothing special. Is it still possible to obtain if I could find the owner of the clapped out fiesta its probably on?

#249437 - 16/02/2005 08:56 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andy
carpal tunnel

I did understand that it was a bog standard plate and I do still think you can transfer it. The only way to be sure though is to ask DVLA.

#249438 - 16/02/2005 09:26 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andy]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Private plate owner here, Car dealers seem to be able to transfer numbers with the speed of summer lightning. Us lesser mortals, whatever the website says, are best served by queuing in the local DVLA office. I'm pretty sure that you can do what you want to do, but that leaves the subject of getting hold of the plate.
A colleague of mine handles the advertising for one of those dealers that take half pages in the Sunday papers, no promises at all, but I may just be seeing him at lunchtime.
If you PM me the full number that you want, I'll try and get an opinion.

N.B. A used car dealer that I knew some years ago, used to have his initial followed by one on his cars, he reckoned that he would have to pay the maximum fine 40 times to come up with the cost of the cherished number.

#249439 - 16/02/2005 09:30 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I do still think you can transfer it.

Unless legislation has changed recently, all you need to do is:

1. Find the current owner. It's possible that it's on a scrapped car -- I don't know what to do in this instance.
2. Persuade them to part with it. Money might be required for this part.
3. Fill in the forms and post the fee to the DVLA.

It used to be the case that you could simply buy the car with the plate you wanted, swap the plates with the plates on your existing car and then fill in the forms.

There are caveats: you're not allowed (IIRC) to put a plate on a car where the year on the plates is newer than the year of the car. The other way round is fine, though.

#249440 - 16/02/2005 09:38 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: Roger]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I certainly remember this being possible, I remember a Corrado G60 owner being particularly keen on having G60 and then his initals. It was blind luck that he saw a car with the right plate parked up. He hung around and waited for the owner, a sum of money changed hands and he got the plate. However unless you've already seen a car with the plate you want it would be pretty difficult to track down an address from a number plate. Unless you have a friend that goes to work wearing a tit on his head.

Andy M

#249441 - 16/02/2005 09:42 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Unless you have a friend that goes to work wearing a tit on his head

Or you know someone very well on the phones at a police call centre!

#249442 - 16/02/2005 09:53 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andy
carpal tunnel

The best plate I have ever seen was on a M3 owned by a developer who worked at ntl in Hook. The plate was:

#249443 - 16/02/2005 09:54 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Wow, must've been a good developer, I'd imagine that plate wasn't cheap.

Andy M

#249444 - 16/02/2005 10:02 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Yeah, don't know what he was doing at ntl

(actually I'm pretty sure he was one of the Microsoft team, there to try and make Biztalk actually work)

#249445 - 16/02/2005 11:37 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: Roger]
g_attrill
old hand

Quote:
It's possible that it's on a scrapped car -- I don't know what to do in this instance.

The vehicle needs to have a current MOT - if it's been scrapped then the registration is lost.

The MOT requirement was introduced to stop people transferring a reg onto a clapped out scooter and storing it in their garden, saving the yearly retention fee.

Gareth

#249446 - 16/02/2005 11:39 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: boxer]
g_attrill
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
Unless you have a friend that goes to work wearing a tit on his head

Or you know someone very well on the phones at a police call centre!

The problem is that the PNC has random audits and if they can't come up with a reason then they are in big trouble, people are routinely sacked for misuse. The search system has the facility for attaching notes to a search and apparently the collar number of an officer and a reason is normally stored.

Gareth

#249447 - 16/02/2005 11:45 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

That's interesting, my dad and I got to have a look round the control room at Lincolnshire police HQ and were shown a system called OASIS which had all the registration plate details on it. My dad must've spent a good 10 minutes putting in the plates of the cars he'd owned over the years to see wether they were still on the road. I should add this was 15 years ago.

Andy M

#249448 - 16/02/2005 12:04 Re: Private plate question (UK) [Re: andy]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Cool. So now to bribe a police officer. I need an excuse though... "yes officer I saw a suspicious vehicle. I *think* the plate was..." Hmmm this will be a challenge for me :S

Thanks for the replies!