Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246961 - 20/01/2005 06:02 I *really* want one of these things...
TigerJimmy
old hand

Hey you guys, I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by sharing my latest I GOTTA HAVE THAT. This is a collectable, so the more people who want one, the more they cost. But its soooo cool, and I don't really know that many people who would appreciate it, but you guys definitely will. It's the empeg of the mechanical age. Absolutely brilliant.

What is it already? It's a Curta Calculator . The first hand-held calculator -- totally mechanical.

The story behind this machine is as amazing as the machine itself. Prior to WW2, a Jewish man named Curt Herzstark of Austria was working in his family's adding machine business. He was captured and sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp. While imprisoned, he worked on trying to design a hand-held sized mechanical calculator. At the time, of course, adding machines were very large, complex, and heavy devices. This was almost an absurd idea. Herzstark survived the war and was freed when Americans liberated the camp in 1945. Herzstark moved to Liechtenstein and built a prototype.

As a mechanical engineer, I am completely in awe of this machine. I have never seen one in person, but I understand that it is built like a Swiss watch and sort of feels like winding an expensive mechanical camera like a Leica when operating it. There were two models built, the Curta II with 15 digits of precision(!) and the original Curta that had 11 digits of precision.

The Curta is a 4 function device, but because of how these functions are implemented (using an accumulator), it is relatively easy to do more complex calculations or estimations (ln, sin, cos, tan, sqrt, etc.) using fairly simple algorithms.

One very cool thing worth doing is looking at the the interactive simulators. There are Flash and Shockwave versions. The Shockwave version has a built-in manual, so you can read how to operate it, then go try it. The Flash sim. is better to "use", though.

Compared to a slide rule and trig/log tables, this thing is a marvel. Notice how the levers, cranks and "carriage" are perfectly placed so that the machine, after quite a bit of practice, can be used extremely quickly. I read somewhere that the body is anodized magnesium. Nothing is painted, it is anodized or engraved, meaning there's nothing to wear off. I wish things were still made this well... (our empeg being the rare exception!)

Sorry to carry on so much. I hope some of you find this as amazing as me.

Jim
PS: This rant about quality reminds me: remember HP's old calculators? They keys (usually) had two shift modes. I learned recently that the keys were molded in extremely complex dies with 3 colors of plastic. The information on the keys was not painted, it was actually molded in! Talk about outrageous. As the keys wear, the key remains perfectly legible. Another example of top shelf quality.

#246962 - 20/01/2005 09:48 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: TigerJimmy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Sorry to carry on so much. I hope some of you find this as amazing as me.

Not that one specifically, but I've got my Grandad's old hand-crank desk calculator (which looks a bit like that, only much bigger, and sideways), which I think is pretty cool.

It's actually at my Aunt's house right now, and needs a little restoration work -- some of the levers for the numbers are jammed up. So, while I'm hijacking the thread, any ideas about restoration?

#246963 - 20/01/2005 10:51 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Have you tried someone who restores clock mechanisms ? The two activities must be somewhat related.

#246964 - 20/01/2005 12:54 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: TigerJimmy]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Don't know what your taste in books is like, but you may enjoy William Gibson's book "Pattern Recognition", which features the Curta to some extent. He describes it a "a cross between a pepper mill and a grenade" if memory serves.

Damn fine (if somewhat sad) book to boot.

#246965 - 20/01/2005 13:23 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: TigerJimmy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Did you see the long article in Scientific American about the Curta? I think it was sometime in the middle of 2004. The story of the the man is at least as interesting as the ingenious mechanism itself, and the mechanism is brilliant.

-Zeke

#246966 - 20/01/2005 13:32 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: andy]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Or somebody that regularly disassembles steering columns:

"Watch for the springy bits that fly out in a minute and remember where they came from"

"What springy bits?"

[annoyed grunt]

#246967 - 20/01/2005 13:36 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: g_attrill]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There are actually a bunch of them on sale on ebay at the moment...

#246968 - 21/01/2005 02:07 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: pgrzelak]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That thing is beautiful. I'd never heard of it before.

#246969 - 21/01/2005 02:46 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
That thing is beautiful. I'd never heard of it before.

The Curta. The essential tool for obsessed retro rallyists. I know some of them.

Jack Christensen will repair your Curta. A friend of mine is thinking of buying one, but I am happier with the version with the big red LEDs.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#246970 - 21/01/2005 02:49 Hp buttons... [Re: TigerJimmy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:

PS: This rant about quality reminds me: remember HP's old calculators? They keys (usually) had two shift modes. I learned recently that the keys were molded in extremely complex dies with 3 colors of plastic. The information on the keys was not painted, it was actually molded in! Talk about outrageous. As the keys wear, the key remains perfectly legible. Another example of top shelf quality.

I had a chance to talk to HP's recuiters at the time I graduated. One of the props he passed around to the class were the individual plastic shots used to make those same keys. I may be misremembering, but there were three "trees" they all nested together and the key body shot around them. Only after a full set of keys were complete were they parted off. Any partial filling of any of the trees was a rejection.

The main reason they went to that much trouble was that none of the, then current, marking materials would stay on the keys long term. Now days the letters are fused deeply enough into the surface of the key that wear is less of a problem than other causes of device mortatility.

Those were the great days of HP equipment. It was all bullet proof. I still have my HP-25 calculator. Yes it has the co-molded buttons.

#246971 - 21/01/2005 02:52 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: TigerJimmy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
These (pdf) are pretty cool too. Not retro, but neat just the same.

#246972 - 21/01/2005 12:33 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
The Curta. The essential tool for obsessed retro rallyists.

In case driving really fast in the woods isn't enough to think about...

-Zeke

#246973 - 21/01/2005 16:26 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: jimhogan]
TigerJimmy
old hand

The Big Red LED model is great. I did one of those rallys when I was in high school, in my buddies beater VW Rabbit. It was huge fun. I was amazed by the "pros" with all of the electronic gizmos. We used a stopwatch and the speedo, and did OK in the non-computer class. Very fun.

#246974 - 21/01/2005 16:28 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: gbeer]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I'ts cool to see I'm not the only one who likes good tools. This reminds me of the newer surveyors equipment I've seen. Really cool stuff.

#246975 - 21/01/2005 16:31 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: loren]
TigerJimmy
old hand

They *are* beautiful. My mentor of many years ago showed me that the best design is also beautiful. He was a former Apollo engineer. He would get a huge kick out of the Curta.

Since the Scientific American article (mentioned by someone else in this thread), the prices on ebay have doubled or tripled. I'd love to throw down the $1000-$1500 for a mint condition Curta, but I just can't justify it right now. Someday soon, I hope.

#246976 - 26/02/2005 15:30 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: TigerJimmy]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.

#246977 - 26/02/2005 16:24 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: larry818]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Nice unit. But, unlike the seller claims, it's not an antique.

Bruno

#246978 - 27/02/2005 23:21 Re: I *really* want one of these things... [Re: hybrid8]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Drat, I found that thing while looking for another thing. I thought it was so unusual that there couldn't be another. I just searched ebay and found a dozen, many cheaper! Oh, well...