Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254368 - 16/04/2005 15:12 Nin fans.
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Story just posted on slashdot. Checkout the NIN site, trent has posted the new single "the hand that feeds" in garageband format! Way cool.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day after seeing the "nevermind" behind the scenes programme on BBC2 a few weeks back. Butch vig was playing around with some of the tracks fading soloing instruments and stuff.

#254369 - 16/04/2005 17:10 Re: Nin fans. [Re: sn00p]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I saw something yesterday at nin.com but it was only for Mac users... is that what it is?

#254370 - 16/04/2005 17:15 Re: Nin fans. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
sn00p
addict

Quote:
I saw something yesterday at nin.com but it was only for Mac users... is that what it is?

Yeah, it's in the mac garageband format (garageband comes bundled with os x).

Trent converted the original data from protools into garageband.

It's pretty cool that he's done this, it's pretty much the ultimate for anybody who plays an instrument, just drop the instrument you play out of the mix and jam along!

#254371 - 18/04/2005 00:00 Re: Nin fans. [Re: sn00p]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

The readme file:

Quote:
"Hello all-

For quite some time I've been interested in the idea of allowing you the ability to tinker around with my tracks - to create remixes, experiment, embellish or destroy what's there. I tried a few years ago to do this in shockwave with very limited results.

After spending some quality time sitting in hotel rooms on a press tour, it dawned on me that the technology now exists and is already in the hands of some of you. I got to work experimenting and came up with something I think you'll enjoy.

What I'm giving you in this file is the actual multi-track audio session for "the hand that feeds" in GarageBand format. This is the entire thing bounced over from the actual Pro Tools session we recorded it into. I imported and converted the tracks into AppleLoop format so the size would be reasonable and the tempo flexible.

So...

You need a Macintosh and you need GarageBand 2.0. If you have a newer Mac, you already have the software. The more RAM you have the better. I did this on a PowerBook 1.67 w/ 2G RAM but it has been running on far less powerful systems.

Drag the file over to your hard disk and double click it. Hit the space bar. Listen. Change the tempo. Add new loops. Chop up the vocals. Turn me into a woman. Replay the guitar. Anything you'd like.

I gave this to my crew and band to test out and all work effectively stopped for a while - it's fun to mess around with. I've now heard a country version of the track as well as an abstract Latin interpretation (thanks, Leo).

There are some copyright issues involved, so read the notice that pops up. Giving this away is an experiment. I'm interested to see what comes of it, what issues are raised and what the results are.

Have fun-
Trent Reznor
April 15, 2005"

#254372 - 19/04/2005 16:03 Re: Nin fans. [Re: sn00p]
cmtempeg
journeyman

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Well I got a powerbook a while back so I just had to try it!

Have a listen to my remix!

Oh, and here's the original, for reference (the license allows me to post this).

#254373 - 19/04/2005 17:14 Re: Nin fans. [Re: cmtempeg]
sn00p
addict

Quote:
Well I got a powerbook a while back so I just had to try it!

Have a listen to my remix!

Oh, and here's the original, for reference (the license allows me to post this).

Dude, that's just wrong!

#254374 - 19/04/2005 17:37 Re: Nin fans. [Re: sn00p]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Heard the original version on the radio tonight, I don't think it's as good as my NIN vs. Scooter 180 BPM gabba version I tried to make last night....

Andy M

#254375 - 19/04/2005 21:50 Re: Nin fans. [Re: sn00p]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel