Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#255068 - 29/04/2005 00:13 DVD-A 5.1 playback??
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I've ordered the forthcoming and an older NIN dualdiscs. And reading about DVD-A in the other thread has me really interested in this.

But.... how do I play these back in 5.1? My only DVD player is in my computer, which I mainly listen to using headphones. My only audio output is an old Technics amp with two old wood cabinet speakers.

Will I really need an entire stereo overhaul to get into DVD-A? Or can I get some software to play them through my DVDR drive into my headphones? Or is piping DVD-A through headphones a mortal sin? But they're good headphones!

#255069 - 29/04/2005 00:29 Re: DVD-A 5.1 playback?? [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
NIN - The Downward Spiral Dual Disk does not take full advantage of the DVD-A format. The CD was recorded onto DAT like fidelity, so it maxes out at 48khz (rather than CD's 44.1). So, playing that DVD on a standard DVD player doesn't hurt much. But the true magic of getting that disk is the 5.1 mix, so listening to it downmixed to stereo via your headphones isn't going to be as great. The CD side of the disk features a remastered version, but you only get a little bit more dynamic range.

In order to get true DVD-A features (better than Dolby Digital 5.1) you need a special DVD-A player AFAIK.

According to this, you will be able play the new album on a standard DVD player and get Dolby Digital 5.1 on it (and Dolby Digital 2.0).

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (29/04/2005 00:37)

#255070 - 29/04/2005 01:56 Re: DVD-A 5.1 playback?? [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Will I really need an entire stereo overhaul to get into DVD-A?

No, just a set of 5.1 speakers, and a 5.1-compatible sound card for your computer.

Those are so common these days, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Quote:
Or can I get some software to play them through my DVDR drive into my headphones? Or is piping DVD-A through headphones a mortal sin? But they're good headphones!

I think you're talking about simulating surround sound with a pair of stereo speakers using acoustic modeling technolgoy. I think those features are sometimes built-in to newer sound cards these days. The setting would be in the sound card's driver software. If you're interested in truly experiencing 5.1 surround sound, though, that's going to be disappointing. They haven't got that simulation technology down perfect yet.

Seems like they shoud eventually be able to, though. We only have two eardrums.

Pie in the sky: what I want is a surround system that does above and below, so I can sense where my opponents are in a multi-floor deathmatch game.

#255071 - 29/04/2005 23:37 Re: DVD-A 5.1 playback?? [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Ah, thanks for reminding me how simple it is to get 5.1. When sound involves speakers instead of headphones, I always worry it'll be really complex.

My Audigy probably does 5.1. If not, I'm sure I can get a cheap oem "Audigy 6 gold 5.1 THX" etc etc. Throw in some simple 5.1 speakers and I can determine if a full blown 5.1 setup is really worth it. Thanks!

Positional audio as pie in the sky? Not at all. People have been working on true positional audio for decades. A friend of mine digs deep into the geek researcher labs and finds all the goods. It's out there, at the end of some deep Google searches. I'll try to get some good links from his knowledge base.

#255072 - 29/04/2005 23:52 Re: DVD-A 5.1 playback?? [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
so I can sense where my opponents are in a multi-floor deathmatch game.

Good call. I play Desert Combat and it'd be nice to pin point if that chopper behind me is up or down as I spin around. I only use headphones, but a nice 5.1 setup would be great...

Trouble is, where do you put those speakers in a standard office?

#255073 - 30/04/2005 00:02 Re: DVD-A 5.1 playback?? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
Trouble is, where do you put those speakers in a standard office?

Answer: Don't play Desert Combat at work.

(haha, too you out of context, sorry).

The speaker placement is solved some ellegant way. I'll get some info on Monday from my more knowledgable friend and post it here.