Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254969 - 27/04/2005 01:14 The invasion of the mixes!
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi there,

My partner and I are planning an overseas trip; she has a four day conference in mid June on Tourism Disaster Management and Recovery in (where else?) Jamaica. To make the trip worth-while we're going to spend a week or two in L.A. (and California in general). We're returning back to places Antipodean on the 3rd of July.

Naturally, my thoughts turned to the empeggers I believe liberally pepper the Californian coast. Is there anyone willing to meet up with Kate and I? Go out to dinner? Even, dare I ask, have us over for a night? On the other hand, what would you recommend seeing? I have no need of Disneyland and Hollywood, but I'd love to see some nice scenery, go hiking and/or go on good rollercoaster rides. Any good ideas?

Reply publically, via personal message, or by email to [email protected].

Thanks in advance,

Paul

#254970 - 27/04/2005 04:41 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: PaulWay]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Well, I guess I count as one of the peppery types, then.

So, to answer all your questions, in order (sticking mostly local to LA):

1) I wouldn't have a clue about where else. I suppose Jamaica is as good a place as any.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. Unless you only eat at McDonalds. What do you like? Sushi? Italian? Vietnamese? California Fusion? Thai? Mexican? Indian?

4) Yes, unless you're allergic to cats. Of course, if you're allergic to cats, you're still welcome, you'll just need to bring some meds with you. Heck, stay the whole two weeks, if you want -- it's the least I can offer in return for so many hours of your mixes.

5) Well, I suppose it all depends on what you're into. There are, of course, all kinds of live shows. If you like art on a wall, then there's a variety of museums, including the Getty, and LACMA. If you're a Bugs Bunny fan, then there's the La Brea tar pits museum, too (though there's no mention of the Bunny there). (Edit: I forgot to mention, Huntington Gardens is supposed to be spectacular, as well.) The best place for roller coasters near-by is Six Flags, which is about 45 minutes north of LAX. Scenery, I'm not so certain of... ordinarily, it would be pretty brown by the end of June, but we've got a lot of green now, so scenery should still be had (and the mountains don't go anywhere, anyway). There are tons of hikes in the area, from the Santa Monica mountains, which are about 20 minutes away from LAX, to the Southern Sierras, which are a 3 hour drive (which is worth it, IMHO). If you go that far, you can add a whitewater rafting (or kayaking) trip to the itinerary, as well. In between the two, there's a whole bunch of other stuff, as well. I do have a book on SoCal waterfalls (it's no Costa Rica, but we have a few). Heading east will get you to Vegas (of course), or you can stop at Joshua Tree (in the Mohave Desert) for more hiking, and rock climbing, if you're more Lordly inclined. The highest (Mt. Whitney) and lowest (Death Valley) points in the country are about a 5 hour drive from LA, as well. If you actually want to go backpacking, you can rent gear locally, as well. There's the Mt. Wilson observatory near Pasadena, which is open to the public, I think. Of course, with the amount of time you'll be here, you could easily go up the coast -- the drive up PCH from LA to San Francisco is gorgeous -- to check out the scene up there (I believe giant redwoods would count as scenery...). I can also drum up an ice-rink or two, if you want to skate.

6) See above -- if any of those sound like good ideas, feel free to PM.

PS... you'll want a car rental -- public transportation in LA is nearly non-existant, and cabs are insanely expensive.

#254971 - 27/04/2005 13:32 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The best place for roller coasters near-by is Six Flags, which is about 45 minutes north of LAX.

Just throwing in my props for Six Flags Magic Mountain, too. You're right, that place is The Business.

#254972 - 27/04/2005 19:32 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I used to go to Magic Mountain frequently before I moved away from southern California 1989. Magic Mountain was a blast even back then. I'd love to go again.

EDIT: In fact, the Goldrusher was my first roller coaster ever, followed quickly by the Revolution.

#254973 - 27/04/2005 20:47 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Me too.

Remember watching the movie "Rollercoaster" and recognizing everything?

Or do I have the wrong age range?

#254974 - 28/04/2005 10:37 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
A little too early for me -- born in early '78. But I could swear Magic Mountain was featured in the intro song for the bad '90s sitcom "Step by Step." They can't fool me with that fake ocean at the foot of the Colossus!

#254975 - 28/04/2005 11:55 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: canuckInOR]
PaulWay
addict

Thanks for that!

One thing that I should have thought of and Kate suggested is to have a kind of empeg mini-meet. This would mean that I could meet a whole bunch of empeggers in one easy session at a restaurant or similar venue. Who would want to do something like that?

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. I hope no-one feels that I've been asking to be hosted, or that I wouldn't repay the cost of such hosting.

#254976 - 28/04/2005 23:46 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: PaulWay]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Who would want to do something like that?

I'd love to... but I'm on the other side of the country. Hm, what excuse can I give my work that I need to fly to CA on short notice?

#254977 - 29/04/2005 04:07 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: PaulWay]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Thanks for that!

You are more than welcome. I still remember how nice it was to have a friend of a friend open their home to me for a week when I was in Hong Kong last year.

Quote:
One thing that I should have thought of and Kate suggested is to have a kind of empeg mini-meet. This would mean that I could meet a whole bunch of empeggers in one easy session at a restaurant or similar venue. Who would want to do something like that?

I do!

I can't tell you were the beer is good, though I can give some good restaurant recommendations (depending on the number of people).

Quote:
P.S. I hope no-one feels that I've been asking to be hosted,

Nope. I wouldn't mind, anyway -- my family used to host new immigrants, way back when we were still living in Alberta, and met some amazing people that way.

Quote:
or that I wouldn't repay the cost of such hosting.

Do unto others....

#254978 - 01/05/2005 11:31 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: canuckInOR]
PaulWay
addict

Bad news,

Under Australian Law, if Kate takes recreation leave for longer than her conference goes, we have to pay full Fringe Benefits tax. Which is about a third of the airfare - about $1000AUD - or we keep our non-conference time to four days or less. This has really put a spoke in our wheels and we now debating whether to stay in L.A. at all. We may just stay in Kingston and live it up for a bit; my preferred option would be to visit other friends in Portland, Oregon; maybe we just get in a campervan and go visit Yosemite and Joshua Tree. We still have to decide.

I don't know what we'll decide yet, but all bets are off at this point.

Meanwhile, have some mixes I made at Linux Conf Au 2005. Something for everyone!

Have fun,

Paul

#254979 - 03/05/2005 06:11 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: PaulWay]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Under Australian Law, if Kate takes recreation leave for longer than her conference goes, we have to pay full Fringe Benefits tax.

Ick. Can you just.... not report it? How are they going to know? Hmm... I wonder if there's a similar law here in the US? Although... so far, my vacations haven't been as long as my work-related travel (1 week vs. 2-3 weeks).

Quote:
This has really put a spoke in our wheels and we now debating whether to stay in L.A. at all. [...] We still have to decide.

Well, keep us posted.

Quote:
Meanwhile, have some mixes I made at Linux Conf Au 2005.

Sweet! But... were these mixes done using Linux?

Cheers,

#254980 - 04/05/2005 01:57 Re: The invasion of the mixes! [Re: canuckInOR]
PaulWay
addict

Quote:
Ick. Can you just.... not report it? How are they going to know? Hmm... I wonder if there's a similar law here in the US? Although... so far, my vacations haven't been as long as my work-related travel (1 week vs. 2-3 weeks).

Unfortunately, this is dealt with by the University admin - Kate has to request leave and if that's longer than the trip then that's what causes the problems.

Fortunately, we've realised that the conference goes over a week-end, which means Kate gets two days off in lieu. We've also brought our return two days earlier and thus we now have four days rec leave instead of eight.

Quote:
Sweet! But... were these mixes done using Linux?

Ashamedly, no. If MixMeister was available for Linux, or anything under Linux did as good a job, then I'd use it. It's one of the few applications which is keeping me in Windows. I talked to a couple of programmers at the Toast night, but no-one had the skills right off the bat. There were a couple of good ideas - reuse the display off Audacity and re-jig it to do the Right Thing at low zoom levels, and use LADSPA plugins.

I also spoke to the guy who's writing Secret Rabbit Code (a Sample Rate Converter) who reckoned my plan for stretching out MP3s was not going to work. Which is a pity, since it sounds like it should. Since he stated that MP3 blocks contained too little information to rebuild the sound with any clarity - and yet that's exactly what MP3 decoders do on a regular basis - I think I might just continue my research. If only I knew how to actually do what I want to. Any programmers who have written MP3 decoders around here?

Have fun,

Paul