Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270722 - 27/11/2005 21:50 Unix Media Player Frontend
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
I'm wondering if anybody could recommend a media player frontend that will run on FreeBSD. I'm specifically NOT looking for something that can record TV. I'm looking for a GUI to allow browsing and playing pre-recorded movies and music from a TV. I've tried using MythTV (too much of a PITA to configure and keep running considering I only want 5% of its functionality, no official FreeBSD support, hard to get just frontend working without backend, way too many dependencies) and Freevo (not very actively maintained, seems to break every time I update my server). Maybe I just need a full screen, licrc enabled interface to mplayer? Anyway, I can't find anything appropriate and freevo has died on me again. Suggestions?

-Mike

#270723 - 28/11/2005 06:06 Re: Unix Media Player Frontend [Re: mcomb]
StigOE
addict

How about VLC? I don't know if it will play shows recorded with a Tivo or similar though. For FreeBSD you'd have to compile from source, but there is FreeBSD support...

Stig

#270724 - 28/11/2005 16:11 Re: Unix Media Player Frontend [Re: StigOE]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know of any frontend that VLC provides, assuming frontend means some decent-looking way to browse, search, etc. through your media collection.

(Add me to the list of people looking for something like this.)

#270725 - 28/11/2005 19:03 Re: Unix Media Player Frontend [Re: tonyc]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
assuming frontend means some decent-looking way to browse, search, etc. through your media collection

Yep, thats what I meant. I still can't find anything, I'm back to using mythfrontend for the moment which is a PITA because I've got to wade through tons of functionality I don't want just to do a few simple things.

-Mike