Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#277629 - 14/03/2006 14:28 Do not call list expiration?
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Lately, we've been getting a marked increase in spam phone calls. I did everything with the do-not-call list, way back when. Do I need to do all that again? What's the proper response when I get a robo-caller trying to sell me health insurance?

#277630 - 14/03/2006 14:41 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I usually cut them off mid-sentence and state that they must remove me from their list.
I don't ask- I tell them. I don't get any resistance from this approach and I'm not rude about it, either.

/no home phone these days, just a cell.
//not looking forward to the day they'll start spamming my cell.

#277631 - 14/03/2006 14:48 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've gotten several spam calls on my cell. I don't care if I'm rude to them, I just talk over them and inform them that they're calling me on a cell phone. I think it worked pretty well because it's been months since I've gotten a call, and for a while there I had 5 calls within a few weeks.

As for the home, I'm on the do not call list as well as paying for call intercept. It works extremely well and I rarely get unwanted calls.

#277632 - 14/03/2006 15:00 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#277633 - 14/03/2006 15:26 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I did everything with the do-not-call list, way back when. Do I need to do all that again?

Likely. I just hit the do-not-call registry and put in my new phone numbers, and it told me there was an expiration date. The confirmation said: "This registration will be effective until 3/15/2011"

#277634 - 14/03/2006 17:44 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
That's funny... I was JUST thinking this same thing last night... when I got the 5th call in 2 days from survey companies. I hadn't had any in years. Are survey companies exempt in the same way that politicians are?

#277635 - 14/03/2006 18:28 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: loren]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The first call that I got was from somebody trying to sell me some kind of insurance concerning my mortgage. The woman on the phone would only identify her firm as having been "authorized by SunTrust" (my mortgage company) to call me, but clearly she worked for somebody else. I read her the riot act ("in Texas, if I tell you not to call me and you subsequently do, it's a $500 fine per call").

The second call, this morning, was a robot offering me some other sort of product (wasn't paying careful attention). The robot did announce its phone number at the beginning of the call, before I had a chance to write it down or anything.

Anyway, I put our phone number back into the do-not-call registry again. We'll see if that does any good.

#277636 - 14/03/2006 19:17 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like you need VoIP service with call block and possibly telemarketer block features.

#277637 - 14/03/2006 19:24 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are survey companies exempt in the same way that politicians are?

If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls.

#277638 - 15/03/2006 18:13 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: wfaulk]
music
addict

I found out that there is a company (and there are probably others) who is the subcontracted calling organization for many many national and local charities.

Here's the interesting part. You can't ask them to put you on "Do Not Call" for all their charities. You have to tell them specifically which ones.

I had around 5 calls from these same guys over a month or so for 5 different charities. Each time I asked to be put on "do not call" for that charity.

Finally I went to their website to get a list of all the charities they handle so I could have them all blocked. There are THOUSANDS of them. And they break them down to the finest granularity possible to make it hard for you. For example, "Red Cross of Miami" "Red Cross of Southern Florida" "Red Cross of Florida" "Red Cross of Eastern US" "National Red Cross" might all be SEPARATE charities requiring separate blocking.

In other words, this company WILL keep hounding you forever no matter what and there is not much you can do about it.

Can't remember the name or website of this "soliciting organization" offhand. If they ever start bugging me again, I'll try to document it here.

Quick Sidetrack: Here is an example of how I am becoming a "cranky old man" at my young age.

There are a number of charities that I regularly contribute to and have for years. Every time they call, I remind them that I NEVER respond to any solicitations by phone, and that if they send me a letter, I'll contribute in December just like I always do, but they should never contact me by phone ever again (and by the way, don't waste postage and paper sending me multiple requests in the first 9 months of the year, just spend that money on the actual CHARITY instead).

Anyway, here's the old man crankiness part. One particular charity called me on the phone and bugged me anyway. I remembered that last year they had done the same thing, then had apologized profusely and promised they wouldn't call me again.

Yet they still did. Again.

So I reduced my yearly contribution way down to a token $10 or so and told them why. I bet they STILL call me on the phone next year. Idiots.

I love the cause, but I hate their fundraisers!

#277639 - 15/03/2006 18:28 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: music]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Call them up and tell them to not call you. If pressed, start rattling off each and every one. You can be more petty than them.

#277640 - 15/03/2006 18:32 Another Pet Peeve [Re: wfaulk]
music
addict

Pet Peeve #2: I sent a sizeable donation to a charity in late December.
Then I got a letter from them in early January saying "We are having a big fund drive for January only. We noticed you gave us X in 2005. Why don't you mail us a check for X+20% RIGHT NOW for 2006."

Dammit! I just sent you a big check two weeks ago. Now you want me to immediately double it before your "Thank You" form letter even arrives!

That's what happens when you let automated processes generate your fundraising letters. You really tick off cranky people like me.

Same with soliciting me by phone.
If you're a reputable organization and not an "aluminum siding salesman" you'll send me a letter and let me check out your legitimacy at the BBB, your website, and various charity scam tracking sites. NOT call me on the telephone and try to strongarm me while I'm eating dinner, entertaining a lovely lady, busy with (attempting to play) guitar, or for that matter just staring at the Tivo.

Man, I love donating money to worthy causes. I just hate being called at home and bugged about it.

Just so I don't end my rant with whining, I want to give an example of the RIGHT way to handle your fundraising. After I donated some money (and a tiny amount at that) to an underfunded sports program at my alma mater, I received a personal letter from one of the athletes thanking me for my contribution.

That letter absolutely made my week! I was glad that I could help out in some small way, glad that somebody appreciated my help, and excited and hopeful to see the team do well in the coming year. And I'll feel happy to give them a little more next year. That's the RIGHT way to handle your fundraising.

#277641 - 15/03/2006 18:38 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: wfaulk]
music
addict

Quote:
Call them up and tell them to not call you. If pressed, start rattling off each and every one. You can be more petty than them.

Fortunately, they haven't called me in a while now.

I had thought about sending them a letter enumerating each and every charity to not call me about (even if it ran to dozens of small font pages). But I seem to recall that their website wasn't organized to allow me to do an easy cut and paste of all the thousands of organizations.
So I abandoned the idea rather than spending several hours clicking around trying to round up an exhaustive list.

Again, they have fortunately decided not to call me any more, anyway.

#277642 - 15/03/2006 21:39 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Maybe they are not in the USA ? I remember hearing when the do not call list was started people expecting the telemarketers to just move off shore.

Matt

#277643 - 16/03/2006 00:45 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship

That justifies all your mortgage related calls and junk mail. Nope, mortgage companies aren't happy getting 50's of thousands of dollars from you; they have to sell your information to everyone under the sun.

It's both comedic and unnerving that I get letters from other mortgage companies wanting to service my loan when I KNOW they got my address from my mortgage. How do I know? My mortgage company spelled my name slightly wrong; so every mail with that wrong spelling is likely thanks to them.

But back to phones. When anyone or anything asks for my phone number, I just enter my fax line. So, when my personal information is sold like a sack of cheap rice, any and all telemarketers get an ear full of WEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHKGKGKGKGKGKGKKGKGK. Bitches.

Oh, and my university (employer) distributes an "employee charitable donation" book annually. The book makes a phone book look like a fast food menu. Being nice to anyone will likely land you in a world of hurt.

And don't forget, the DMA (direct marketing association) is always "leasing" your information to anyone, and unsubscription takes 9 months, if you can get your written request to them without it being Returned To Sender. Such bitches.

#277644 - 16/03/2006 02:19 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Maybe they are not in the USA ? I remember hearing when the do not call list was started people expecting the telemarketers to just move off shore.

My observation it that they have just gone to robots. You can't tell them "do not call".

#277645 - 16/03/2006 13:45 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: gbeer]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I inform charities that I have a list, of which I pick 2 charities per year to donate to. Anyone who calls me with some kind of telemarketing gets instantly removed from my list, and informed of that fact, as well as the amount I may have sent them if they had been more polite.

This also goes for any company - I can always be more petty than them - and get products elsewhere.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#277646 - 16/03/2006 23:56 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: frog51]
music
addict

Quote:
Anyone who calls me with some kind of telemarketing gets instantly removed from my list, and informed of that fact

Excellent, another cranky person.
I'm glad it's not just me!

Hey, if more people were like us, maybe telemarketing would go away!

Actually, not.

It turns out that telemarketing is THE most expensive form of fundraising available. Typically the telemarketing companies get to keep 80% of what they raise, funneling 20% back to the charity which then adds its own overhead. Actually it's not extremely unusual for a charity+telemarketing to keep 98-100% of the money!

Anyway, CNN's tips for avoiding charity scams starts out with #1: Never respond to telemarketers or e-mail solicitations, as either method indicates that particular charity organization has "some serious priority flaws" (i.e., siphoning off most of the money before it goes to the actual cause)

In another related rant, I stopped giving to United Way about 10 years or so ago after widespread corruption was revealed within the organization (wait, more). Even though they have long since cleaned up their act (so they say despite the fact the corruption links in the previous sentence are from 1995, 1999, 2002, 2005), I looked at what they do and decided I was better off giving money DIRECTLY to the EXACT charity I wanted instead of funnelling it through United Way first. Less Middlemen == More Value to the Needy.

Your Crankiness may vary.

[Edited to add more UW corruption links]

#277647 - 17/03/2006 02:10 Re: Do not call list expiration? [Re: music]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone who calls me with some kind of telemarketing gets instantly removed from my list, and informed of that fact

Excellent, another cranky person.
I'm glad it's not just me!

Oh, no. It's definitely not just you. I made a donation to a charitable organization last year, and ever since then, I've gotten no end of mailings, both from them, and dozens of other similarly themed charities. They sold my personal info. I won't be renewing my contribution.

What gets my goat is that, if I didn't respond to the first mail you sent, what makes you think I'll respond to the next 15? Grrrr. At least I'm well stocked with address labels.

And those Unicef mailings that include a nickle in them? If you want that nickel to go to a needy child, stop sending them to me.