Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#278126 - 22/03/2006 14:35 Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We have a PBX system from Nortel. I guess the model is Meridian. Over the years, parts are becoming harder to come by and it's probably time for a new system. I'm interested in Asterisk because it would be cheap to do (I think).

The lines that come into the building (6 for phone service) are analog POTS. It looks like Asterisk would allow me to load-up a PC with 6 analog modems, but I don't see any examples of this type of set up. What kind of modems would I need?

Also, am I setting myself up for a headache? The Nortel system is functioning now with one dead line. It's not the end of the world, so I can take my time getting this done right. If I can make a test system with just two incoming lines and two hardware phones, I will try that first.

Is a 10/100 network with other network and internet traffic on it good enough for a possible 6 extensions being used at one time?

#278127 - 22/03/2006 15:01 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for, and I think it's aimed more at home instruction than for a business, but just in case something in it is usefull...

I found it to be a pretty good guide. Systm is actually a pretty decent show for explaining the setup of stuff like this. I just wish they put out episodes more frequently.

#278128 - 22/03/2006 15:05 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Thanks, I will look at that. I also found this set of info.

#278129 - 22/03/2006 15:08 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I'm interested in Asterisk because it would be cheap to do (I think).

If you have some time to set it up, then Asterisk is awesome. It also offers mind blowing flexibility.

Quote:
The lines that come into the building (6 for phone service) are analog POTS. It looks like Asterisk would allow me to load-up a PC with 6 analog modems, but I don't see any examples of this type of set up. What kind of modems would I need?

Yeah, easy. You need either one of these or a couple of these with the appropriate (FXO) modules in them.

I will reply to the rest a bit later... have to go now!

#278130 - 22/03/2006 15:47 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
We have a PBX system from Nortel. I guess the model is Meridian. Over the years, parts are becoming harder to come by and it's probably time for a new system. I'm interested in Asterisk because it would be cheap to do (I think).

Also, am I setting myself up for a headache? The Nortel system is functioning now with one dead line. It's not the end of the world, so I can take my time getting this done right. If I can make a test system with just two incoming lines and two hardware phones, I will try that first.

Is a 10/100 network with other network and internet traffic on it good enough for a possible 6 extensions being used at one time?

10/100 network will be just fine for 6 lines at once without a problem.

The hardware Sein recomends will work for you, and work well. Loading up with the cheap modems doesn't scale past 2 ports very well.

Asterisk is very nice, and can do some wonderful tricks if you know how to program it. Doing what you want would be easy to set up, and quite possibly be able to be done with Asterisk @ Home http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ It's a distro that does a full install of Centos and Asterisk, has a nice web interface to configure. I'm currently using it at a couple of clients for their phone systems.

This wiki is pretty good for info: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

#278131 - 22/03/2006 16:25 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: BAKup]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the link to @Home.

I just realized that we have a button on our current phones that allows you to speak over the PA system in the factory. Can this be done in Asterisk over the sound card or something?

#278132 - 22/03/2006 16:49 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
BAKup
addict

Quote:
I just realized that we have a button on our current phones that allows you to speak over the PA system in the factory. Can this be done in Asterisk over the sound card or something?

Yes it's possible, it'll take a bit of work do to that, and it's all outlined here .

#278133 - 22/03/2006 16:53 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:

Absolutely. Asterisk can talk to sound cards, bluetooth headsets, analogue or ISDN telephone lines, SIP, H323 and other VoIP protocols. It can glue them together in any way that you like. You want a one way output to the sound card on the Asterisk machine on Extension 4? No problem.

Check out what Ben (BAKup) said and rummage through the voip-info.org wiki. It is a mine of information and growing fast.

Asterisk@Home is definately a good place to get started quickly. What makes it great is the Asterisk Management Portal (wait, they changed the name to FreePBX). It is a web based Asterisk management tool and pretty easy to use. I tried to get this going on my Gentoo install and it was messy in places. It requires Apache to be run as the Asterisk user and a bunch of other seemingly kludgy permissions hacks - I think I would have more luck running a second copy of Apache for it on a different port. Anyway, Asterisk@Home is good because it all just works when you put the disc in Great if you have a dedicated machine for it.

I am about a third of the way through the Asterisk: The Future of Telephony book. It is a good read so far and really does start at the beginning. You should have a look.

#278134 - 22/03/2006 19:26 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: sein]
robricc
carpal tunnel

OK, I bought this Optiplex and one of these Grandstreams to do testing on. I guess it will be just 1 POTS line at this point, but I will be able to get a feel for the system. I chose to use that Optiplex because people claim it has good compatibility and it's cheap.

I will probably buy two Digium TDM400P cards and 6 X100M modules once I decide to go with Asterisk. Does that sound right for my setup?

I don't know about going with the Grandstream phones in the long run. Many people here have a short temper and slam phones. They don't look like they're up to the abuse.

#278135 - 22/03/2006 19:43 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
You can also download a prebuilt VM
http://www.vmwarez.com/2006/02/asteriskhome-virtual-machine-updated.html
so you can get off to a flying start.
Though I have to assume that this is limited in what it can do due to limited access to the physical hardware.

#278136 - 22/03/2006 20:18 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
BAKup
addict

Quote:
I don't know about going with the Grandstream phones in the long run. Many people here have a short temper and slam phones. They don't look like they're up to the abuse.

I'll put it this way, those phones are the $19.99 cheapy phones you buy at Walmart when you need a phone in a hurry. They look cheap, feel cheap, talk cheap.

I'd either get Polycom Soundpoint 501, or a Snom phone.

Yes, they cost more, but the quality is much better.

Cisco 79xx series is nice, but not cheap.

I've tested every one of those phones, and have the Polycom 501 at my office desk, and a Cisco 7960 at home(way overkill, but I did buy that phone off ebay myself), Would have kept the Snom 360 over the Polycom but the boss took it home.

#278137 - 22/03/2006 21:02 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: BAKup]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:

Ouch, $200 a phone isn't bad for a bussiness instalation, but will the cheap ones work in a home environment? I'm rewiring the house and would love to move over to asterisk and a complete voip solution.

Matthew

#278138 - 22/03/2006 21:14 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: BAKup]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
those phones are the $19.99 cheapy phones you buy at Walmart

Why not buy six or seven times as many as you need? Still works out cheaper than the $200 phones, no?

#278139 - 22/03/2006 21:27 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: Roger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Why not buy six or seven times as many as you need? Still works out cheaper than the $200 phones, no?

He's just saying the quality of the phone I bought is similar to that of a $20 no-name POTS phone you might find at Walmart. The phone I bought to test was $85.

#278140 - 22/03/2006 21:29 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
He means that they're equivalent to those cheap-ass POTS phones. The one Rob linked was $85.

#278141 - 22/03/2006 21:36 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Quote:
$20 no-name POTS phone

No Name? My $12 phones are all Southwestern Bell. I wouldn't want to bring the phone network down using an unapproved phone.

Matthew

#278142 - 22/03/2006 21:42 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If you want to be sure the phone company doesn't charge you for damage an unapproved phone might cause to the phone network, you're much better off leasing one straight from them. Only $5 a month.

#278143 - 22/03/2006 21:48 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

The Nortel Meridian's are great, they have an optical switch thing and are built of a good plastic. I bought a Cisco 7960 to play with and it's great, but definately a posh phone for people who treat office equipment gently, it definately wouldn't stand up to a Balmer-style rage. I think Cisco (or a company they bought) had some older cheap beige phones that I recall where pretty sturdy.

I plan to play with Asterisk soon, we only have three lines (2x voice and 1x fax/ADSL) and it would be nice to hook them all up with decent fax <> email along with voicemail and redirection. My boss and his friend work away from the office a lot so it would be useful to explore some of the different ways we can arrange the system. We don't actually use phones very much but it would be cool anyway

Gareth

#278144 - 23/03/2006 08:07 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I'm interested in Asterisk because it would be cheap to do (I think).

When we went looking for a phone system for the office, we ended up with Avaya. It's got VOIP and stuff.

I don't think it's as cheap as Asterisk would be, but people here can be a bit suspicious of Open Source (or Sandal-ware as one of my colleagues calls it). It does come with a good support contract, the phones are reasonably sturdy, and it does everything we need.

#278145 - 23/03/2006 13:53 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: matthew_k]
BAKup
addict

Quote:
Quote:

Ouch, $200 a phone isn't bad for a bussiness instalation, but will the cheap ones work in a home environment? I'm rewiring the house and would love to move over to asterisk and a complete voip solution.

Matthew

Yes, they work for home fine, in fact I've got the previous gen Grandstream phones at several locations over the Americas and as long as their internet connections are working, my step-mothers family can talk all they want for free.

It's just in a business setting, you'd be better off spending a bit more on the phones.

#278146 - 23/03/2006 14:04 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: robricc]
BAKup
addict

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He's just saying the quality of the phone I bought is similar to that of a $20 no-name POTS phone you might find at Walmart. The phone I bought to test was $85.

Ding! That phone just feels like a $20 phone with $15 extra in parts for the VoIP part.

#278147 - 23/03/2006 15:08 Re: Quick (hopefully) Asterisk questions [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Quote:
Only $5 a month.

Just think, I could rent a phone for two months and save $2 compared to buying it outright. The car dealer was right, leasing is a better deal.

Matthew