Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282004 - 24/05/2006 19:52 Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better!
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I'm sure folks here can relate. Got the classic call from the parents this evening. Can't get on the internet and want to know if I canceled it. I signed them up a couple of years back and pay for their account so I sorta expect these calls. Neither one of them are computer savvy so no biggie. They're setup with ADSL (I couldn't handle the calls that I was getting when they couldn't hook up via dial-up)

The thing that sends me into absolutely conniptions is dealing with Earthlink playing transfer bingo. Is there not a better service in the Western PA these days? I thank you and my sanity thanks you.

#282005 - 24/05/2006 22:31 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Mach]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Sadly Verizon is probably the best option these days if you can get DSL, unless you want (and will pay for) Speakeasy.

#282006 - 25/05/2006 01:27 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Mach]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Depending on where they are in Western PA, I've been pleased with Adelphia HSI. Outages are few and far between, speeds are consistent. Though, Adelphia here will be Comcast in the nearish future, so who knows what will happen. *fingers crossed*

I was happy with Comcast's cable Internet service back in the Philly area, but I hate the company so much, I think I'll have some difficulties staying with cable once they take over.

#282007 - 25/05/2006 06:35 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Daria]
Mach
old hand

[Sigh] that's what I was afraid of and unfortunately, cable won't fly because of the added installation and setup. On-site support from London is a little pricey. Thanks for the replies though. Earthlink/Verizon has now joined SW Bell on my "No Go" list.

On a related note, what's the latest and greatest for remote control software? XP Remote Desktop works about 1 in 10 times.

#282008 - 25/05/2006 08:33 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Mach]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

On a related note, what's the latest and greatest for remote control software? XP Remote Desktop works about 1 in 10 times.

I quite like the approach Joel (of "Joel on Software") took with https://www.copilot.com/

It a service rather than an installed bit of software. It is based on the VNC codebase, but no software gets permenantly installed on either the client or remote machine. It also dodges any firewall/NAT issues by having both client and remote machine connect to a remote server to exchange data.

It costs $9.95 for 24 hours of access, so obviously not ideal for remote controlling a computer you have to access regularly, but perfect for when some friend/relative has a problem and they don't have any remote control software in place already.

#282009 - 25/05/2006 13:24 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Mach]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
[quote[XP Remote Desktop works about 1 in 10 times.

XP Remote Desktop works about 10 in 10 times for me. You've got other problems.

#282010 - 25/05/2006 13:57 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Roger]
Mach
old hand

No argument there but that's another thread altogether.

I tried to sort out the XP issue last time that I was home. Don't remember the specifics but it seemed to be a problem from the ISP side which brings me back to the origins of this thread.

#282011 - 25/05/2006 18:13 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: Mach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There's an UltraVNC no-install server, UltraVNC Single Click, that you might give a shot. I haven't used it myself, though.

#282012 - 26/05/2006 01:50 Re: Western PA ISP? Gotta be something better! [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Depending on where they are in Western PA, I've been pleased with Adelphia HSI. Outages are few and far between, speeds are consistent. Though, Adelphia here will be Comcast in the nearish future, so who knows what will happen. *fingers crossed*

I was happy with Comcast's cable Internet service back in the Philly area, but I hate the company so much, I think I'll have some difficulties staying with cable once they take over.

ISTR his parents live in Comcast territory, which was why I didn't even say Adelphia.

They've been ok to me too.