Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#283567 - 22/06/2006 15:14 Cover art, Jpeg experts, technical issues and Twonkyvision (Tony?)
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
I've got a NevoSL remote ... it uses uPNP to control a media server and client such as twonkyvision and roku soundbridges.

One of the features is that it displays album art on the remote for the music file playing. The trick is that there has to be an actual jpeg in the album's folder.

But that's not all. Some Jpegs will be displayed, but others will not. Initially I thought it was because some had color management profiles embedded, so I stripped them out, to no avail.

I'm wondering if one of you highly intelligent folks might be able to impart some knowledge on me. I've got info for a image that works and one that doesn't ... any ideas on how to fix this or even what the hell is going on?

Here's information on an image that works:

File NameJohnny Cash - Johnny Cash Sings His Best.jpg
Document TypeJPEG Image
File Size19860 bytes
Color ModelRGB
Depth8
Pixel Height200
Pixel Width200

JFIF Properties

Density Unit0
JFIF Version1.1
X Density1
Y Density1

And here's one that does not .... this one had it's color profile stripped out.... I think a key issue is the appearance of this "TIFF properties" business, along with a change in the density unit from 0 to 1 ... whatever the hell that is.

File NameJohnny Cash - (Love, God, Murder) Love.jpg
Document TypeJPEG Image
File Size13529 bytes
Color ModelRGB
Depth8
DPI Height72.009
DPI Width72.009
Pixel Height200
Pixel Width200

JFIF Properties

Density Unit1
JFIF Version1.1
X Density72
Y Density72

TIFF Properties

Resolution Unit2
X Resolution72.009
Y Resolution72.009

#283568 - 22/06/2006 16:26 Re: Cover art, Jpeg experts, technical issues and Twonkyvision (Tony?) [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know anything about the product you're using, so these are all guesses, but here we go:

My first guess was that the JPEG was too large. But your working JPEG is bigger than the non-working one.

I don't know if the "tiff properties" thing has anything to do with it. Are you sure that all images with that tag are the failing ones?

It's more likely something much more simple. Like the file name. Perhaps this remote doesn't like the commas or the parens or the file name length. Or maybe it's something in the folder structure above it.

#283569 - 22/06/2006 16:28 Re: Cover art, Jpeg experts, technical issues and Twonkyvision (Tony?) [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Or maybe file permissions on the JPEG or its folder.

#283570 - 22/06/2006 17:00 Re: Cover art, Jpeg experts, technical issues and Twonkyvision (Tony?) [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Unfortunately none of this seems to be the case. I've tried resizing everything to 200x200 (the size of a working image), the difference between one album that shows and one that doesn't can be as different as either a "1" or a "2" at the end of the folder name. I think one source of the problem is the source of the image ... Amazon.com seems to be a bad choice as far as getting this to work. Walmart or Buy.com seem to be better choices. Unfortunately their catalog of cover art isn't nearly as big. I'm totally confused.

#283571 - 22/06/2006 17:30 Re: Cover art, Jpeg experts, technical issues and Twonkyvision (Tony?) [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't think the source web site for the images has anything to do with it, a JPEG is a JPEG.

You said you resized the images. I guess that means you re-saved the images with a photo editing program. Which one?

If you take one of the WORKING images and re-save it with the same program, does it suddently start failing, or does it keep working?