Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299253 - 11/06/2007 19:09 Vista pains
drakino
carpal tunnel

So, I'm trying to honestly use Vista, instead of just sitting on the sidelines and poking it with a stick. Eventually my job will require it in some form, so I might as well get the problems out of the way now.

To continue from the triple boot thread I somewhat derailed, I'm looking for a possible way of remote controlling only the keyboard and mouse on the Vista box from another machine. Currently, I use Synergy, but it can't touch UAC dialogs, even when run as an admin, and secure desktop turned off. Is there an alternative program that is Vista compliant? Bonus points if it maps mouse movement properly in DirectX programs (synergy gets screwy even on XP when a game runs). Remote desktop is out, as I need to be able to run Direct3D apps.

Also, what happened to Microsoft Update? If I visit http://update.microsoft.com/ , I get told to run the built in Windows Update. And that only updates Windows. I'd like to keep other MS apps up to date as well, like Office and Visual Studio.

Lastly, anyone seen an RSS gadget that actually lets me specify my own RSS feed, including authentication? It's the one use I could see for the Sidebar, and the built in one is stuck feeding me MS sponsored propaganda. A search of the gadgets site turned up one that hasn't been updated in ages, and also doesn't do authentication.

#299254 - 11/06/2007 19:38 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I hate to say it - I'm not contributing meaningfully. But read this:

Aaargh!!!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#299255 - 11/06/2007 20:47 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
oliver
addict

Quote:
Lastly, anyone seen an RSS gadget that actually lets me specify my own RSS feed, including authentication? It's the one use I could see for the Sidebar, and the built in one is stuck feeding me MS sponsored propaganda. A search of the gadgets site turned up one that hasn't been updated in ages, and also doesn't do authentication.

The M$ RSS Gadget uses the IE RSS Subscription feature, so if you want to edit the sites it's pulling from launch the bloated IE7 and modify the feeds it's downloading.

Hopefully that helps....

#299256 - 12/06/2007 07:56 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I get told to run the built in Windows Update. And that only updates Windows.

On the built-in Windows Update page, there's a link (I think it's in a yellow box) that says "Get updates for other Microsoft products". Click it.

#299257 - 12/06/2007 07:58 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Currently, I use Synergy, but it can't touch UAC dialogs

Turn off UAC?

#299258 - 12/06/2007 13:28 Re: Vista pains [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I get told to run the built in Windows Update. And that only updates Windows.

On the built-in Windows Update page, there's a link (I think it's in a yellow box) that says "Get updates for other Microsoft products". Click it.

Ahh, ok. Found this at home, but not at work. Looks like if any domain settings are set for auto updates, Vista interprets this as "Only use Windows Update" where as XP allowed changing it over to Microsoft Update.

I'm going to go let the ops group know they will probably want to create a vista group for the domain policies.

Edited by drakino (12/06/2007 14:24)

#299259 - 12/06/2007 13:30 Re: Vista pains [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Currently, I use Synergy, but it can't touch UAC dialogs

Turn off UAC?

Defeats the purpose of trying to live with it, but I haven't found a solution yet either. I thought that was the whole point of the secure desktop setting, but it looks like that doesn't help for this situation.

#299260 - 12/06/2007 13:55 Re: Vista pains [Re: oliver]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The M$ RSS Gadget uses the IE RSS Subscription feature, so if you want to edit the sites it's pulling from launch the bloated IE7 and modify the feeds it's downloading.

Hopefully that helps....

It helped yesterday. This morning, the feed was stale even though I set it to a 15 minute update cycle. Open IE 7, click the feed, and I'm told "Internet Explorer cannot update password protected feeds". So much for the usefulness of that.

Also as a mini rant, moving and organizing gadgets has to be one of the most frustrating things I've seen. So when the gadget is on the sidebar, I can't make it taller to see more stories. When I detach it from the sidebar, it grows, but still no size control. Then, if I want the larger version, but still on the right edge of the screen, the gadget bar sucks it back in with no warning. Took me about 5 times of messing with it to find the exact edge of where it sucks in gadgets. I don't want the bar on the right, and there seems to be no way to just turn off the bar but have gadgets on the desktop.

#299261 - 12/06/2007 14:21 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
oliver
addict

I just turned off the sidebar, as it's completely useless waste of memory and screen real estate.

Actually, you can move it to different edges of the screen. When I manually launch the sidebar it's on the left edge of my #2 monitor. My #2 is to the left of #1.

I think the settings for that are in the control panel under sidebar.

The one feature which has caused me to stay with vista, is the search bar in the start menu. That alone makes up for all the other shortcomings in my mind.

Can you drag and drop files into vs.net 2005 with UAC enabled? Because for some reason, I can't drag and drop anything into vs.net without turning off UAC completely.

#299262 - 12/06/2007 14:21 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Probably going to go let the ops group know they will probably want to create a vista group for the domain policies.

That's not a bad idea, but they should look into using WSUS (or whatever it's called) for updating your Windows PCs at work.

#299263 - 12/06/2007 14:23 Re: Vista pains [Re: oliver]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Can you drag and drop files into vs.net 2005 with UAC enabled? Because for some reason, I can't drag and drop anything into vs.net without turning off UAC completely.

Depends. Did you launch VS 2005 with elevation? If so, that's why. You can't drag and drop things between elevation levels.

#299264 - 12/06/2007 15:19 Re: Vista pains [Re: oliver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I just turned off the sidebar, as it's completely useless waste of memory and screen real estate.

The sidebar is genuinely useful to me for only one thing. There is a "Live Search Maps" plugin that remembers the map location and zoom level across reboots, and will overlay traffic commute data. So I can have it zoomed in to the critical areas of my 520 commute during the day, and I can keep an eye on it as the afternoon progresses, and get an idea about which route I will be taking home.

Of course, the only reason I need this is because I'm working at Microsoft. Go figure.

It's also nice (but not hugely useful) having the calendar gadget up so I can glance over and see the date instantly (since the date doesn't appear on the taskbar clock without a time-consuming hover).

As far as screen real estate, I'm doing dual monitors so it works really well to have it on my secondary monitor.

#299265 - 14/06/2007 08:06 Re: Vista pains [Re: tfabris]
furtive
old hand

Quote:
It's also nice (but not hugely useful) having the calendar gadget up so I can glance over and see the date instantly (since the date doesn't appear on the taskbar clock without a time-consuming hover).

You can add the date to the time on the taskbar in XP - assume you can do the same in Vista?

#299266 - 14/06/2007 15:07 Re: Vista pains [Re: furtive]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
How?

(Without making the taskbar any bigger. You can double the size of the taskbar so the date appears on a second line. But that ruins the screen real estate on my first monitor.)

#299267 - 25/06/2007 18:08 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

New issue, why is Vista interpreting permissions differently then XP? (see attached)

I'm trying to delete a folder with a bunch of files in it off a network share. XP does it fine, Vista says I don't have permission. Both machines are on the same domain, and both machines are logged in with my domain account.

Attachments
300807-VistavsXPdelete.jpg (141 downloads)

#299268 - 25/06/2007 19:26 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Does your domain account have Admin perms?

#299269 - 25/06/2007 19:39 Re: Vista pains [Re: Ladmo]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Does your domain account have Admin perms?

Nope, not a domain admin. And on Vista, UAC is off (too many issues with having it on, even ignoring Synergy problems).

#299270 - 25/06/2007 21:15 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
You may need to take ownership of the folder (and flies/folders in it)before it will allow you to delete the folder. Let me know if it gives you an error number or exact error verbage and I'll look it up for ya.

#299271 - 25/06/2007 21:47 Re: Vista pains [Re: Ladmo]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I can't take ownership of the files on XP or Vista. My big question with this is why does it work on XP but not Vista? It's going to be a pain to have to remote into an XP box or Linux box to nuke them if I try to shift my main windows box to Vista.

Vista is allowing me to delete folders and files I create in that same spot.

#299272 - 26/06/2007 12:26 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Are the screenshots you posted permissions on the folder or a file?

Also, "then" is a time-related word. "Than" is a comparison-related word.

#299273 - 26/06/2007 13:08 Re: Vista pains [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

That's a folder in the screenshot. I get the same permission errors when attempting to delete files, even though effective permissions show the same things between XP and Vista. It even shows delete permission on individual files I check.

#299274 - 26/06/2007 13:16 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Are you sure that the fileserver that you're connecting to sees the user that you're using on Vista as the same user you're using on 2000? That is, they may have the same name, but that doesn't mean that they're the same user, as far as Windows is concerned. It may be a local user versus a domain user, or two different local users. This is probably stuff you've already considered, but it's worth asking.

#299275 - 26/06/2007 17:43 Re: Vista pains [Re: wfaulk]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Are the screenshots you posted permissions on the folder or a file?

Also, "then" is a time-related word. "Than" is a comparison-related word.

Incorrect; it's nowhere near that simple. Perhaps in the given context the wrong word was used, but your simplification of the semantic load of "then" and "than" doesn't really work, Bitt.

"then" can also be used in a comparative role: if you buy Vista, then you should be prepared for heartache when dealing with permissions.
"than" can also be used in a temporal role (albeit a bit archaic): no sooner was the work begun than it was completed.

Worth noting is that in the "then" example, though it is used in a comparative role, it also has a temporal component, and while the "that" example usage is primarily temporal, there is also a comparative component.

#299276 - 26/06/2007 18:06 Re: Vista pains [Re: webroach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
it's nowhere near that simple.

Agreed.

Quote:
Perhaps in the given context the wrong word was used, but your simplification of the semantic load of "then" and "than" doesn't really work, Bitt.

Tom consistently uses "then" instead of "than". I was trying to simplify it.

Quote:
"then" can also be used in a comparative role: if you buy Vista, then you should be prepared for heartache when dealing with permissions.

I don't see that as comparative at all. It's still temporal to me. It's referring to a potential future. What do you think it's comparing?

Quote:
"than" can also be used in a temporal role (albeit a bit archaic): no sooner was the work begun than it was completed.

This is clearly a comparative use, given the word "sooner". Just because you're using it with a temporal verb doesn't make it temporally related. That's like saying that "work" is temporal because it's used in the same sentence. Or that "than" is distance-related in the sentence "he was farther away than he thought".

#299277 - 26/06/2007 18:52 Re: Vista pains [Re: wfaulk]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps in the given context the wrong word was used, but your simplification of the semantic load of "then" and "than" doesn't really work, Bitt.

Tom consistently uses "then" instead of "than". I was trying to simplify it.

Understood.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't see that as comparative at all. It's still temporal to me. It's referring to a potential future. What do you think it's comparing?

"comparative" doesn't just mean "X vs. Y". It can also refer to the relative relationship between two entities / concepts / etc. Is it temporal to say "if you are dead, then you are no longer living"?

Quote:
Quote:

This is clearly a comparative use, given the word "sooner". Just because you're using it with a temporal verb doesn't make it temporally related. That's like saying that "work" is temporal because it's used in the same sentence. Or that "than" is distance-related in the sentence "he was farther away than he thought".

No, the superlative does not insist that this is a purely comparative useage. If you check Oxford for the usage I mentioned, it'll set ya right.

You'll also note that I pointed out that both examples have temporal and comparative semantic elements.

Edited by webroach (26/06/2007 18:53)

#299278 - 27/06/2007 14:56 Re: Vista pains [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:

Depreciated Components:

WinHelp and HTML help (.chm) files support. Windows Vista introduces a new help model ... Older formats will continue to be supported for legacy applications through a downloadable WinHelp component, which will not be in Windows Vista by default.

They couldn't just include the help file viewer? "Lets screw the users and developers, that'll teach them to upgrade their help files to our new format"?

Matthew

#299279 - 27/06/2007 15:32 Re: Vista pains [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Depreciated Components:

Really? Even Microsoft, the biggest software company in the world, can't get the word "deprecated" right?

#299280 - 27/06/2007 17:24 Re: Vista pains [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Unfortunately that was my error. I'm spending the day at Vista Camp where, out of pure generosity, MS has paid to educate us IT workers about the wonders of vista. However, they don't provide the training materials in digital form, so cut and pasting was out.

Matthew

#299281 - 27/06/2007 22:51 Re: Vista pains [Re: matthew_k]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:

Depreciated Components:

WinHelp and HTML help (.chm) files support. Windows Vista introduces a new help model ... Older formats will continue to be supported for legacy applications through a downloadable WinHelp component, which will not be in Windows Vista by default.

They couldn't just include the help file viewer? "Lets screw the users and developers, that'll teach them to upgrade their help files to our new format"?

Matthew

I suspect it's an attempt by MS to encourage developers to move to the new format. The alternative being the hordes of clueless calling to complain that the help is missing/broken after moving to Vista.

#299282 - 28/06/2007 01:53 Re: Vista pains [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I suspect it's an attempt by MS to encourage developers to move to the new format. The alternative being the hordes of clueless calling to complain that the help is missing/broken after moving to Vista.

Because no one is going to be running software that was written pre-Vista and call to complain that their help files aren't working. :/

Apple solved this problem by making pre-OSX software unusable except through an explicit hack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >