Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#300857 - 22/07/2007 20:41 Electrical switches
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Does anyone know of a wall switch that has two separate switches, one standard three-way, one momentary, that can fit in a single-gang box? I would like to move my garage door switch to the inside (or, even better, have both an inside and an outside switch), but I already have a 3-way switch where I would like to put the new switch.

I know they make ones that look like this:

but I need the second switch to be momentary.

Attachments
301844-032664161308sm.jpg (84 downloads)

#300858 - 22/07/2007 22:37 Re: Electrical switches [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

I thought Leviton would have it but they don't do the momentary bit. I think you're going to find it very difficult to find the exact type you want...

#300859 - 22/07/2007 23:05 Re: Electrical switches [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I agree, but it's worth asking. I know Leviton and other similar manufacturers do make various types of wall-mount momentary switches, and I can get one of those and expand to a dual-gang box if need be, but I'd rather not, as I'm sure that the existing box is nailed to a stud and will be difficult to remove. In fact, if it comes to that, I probably won't do it at all.

#300860 - 23/07/2007 06:22 Re: Electrical switches [Re: wfaulk]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
I have that in stock in the UK, but I don't think that would help you much. I have a feeling that UK and US back boxes are incompatible for a start - though I could also send you a box as well if you want.

Let me know if you're interested.

[edit] Btw, I do a couple of different grid systems (MK Grid Plus and Scolmore Click) and between them you can make up virtually any imaginable combination of switches, neons, keyswitches, fuse carriers, dimmers, buzzers, tv outlets etc on a plate.

#300861 - 23/07/2007 07:55 Re: Electrical switches [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

UK and US backboxes are totally different in size and shape. The UK one is a large square box whilst the US one is a thin vertical rectangle.

#300862 - 23/07/2007 13:22 Re: Electrical switches [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I have that in stock in the UK

Typical.

Quote:
I have a feeling that UK and US back boxes are incompatible

As Trevor said, yeah, they are. In the US, they are 3" tall by 2" wide (internal) by about 2.5" deep (though that varies), although we call them "junction boxes", "outlet boxes", "switch boxes" (while outlets and switches are almost always on separate plates, the boxes in the walls are identical), or simply "electrical boxes". They also make them that are basically multiple ones joined together usually without what would become internal barriers, for when you need multiple switches at one wall location.

I should just install one of those double-gang boxes and a whole new switch, but I don't want to have to rip apart the wall. I could potentially abut a new single-gang "old work" box (where the box holds onto the wallboard instead of being nailed onto a stud), but the chances of me aligning it right are slim.

#300863 - 23/07/2007 18:25 Re: Electrical switches [Re: wfaulk]
insightful
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
I have a couple of thoughts on this...

I am assuming the momentary switch for your garage door opener operates on low voltage (12 or 24 volts). If that is the case, I'm not certain, but I don't believe you can mix the 12V and 120V in the same box per NEC rules.

An easy way to do this would be to get a door bell switch and connect it to the garage door opener wire through a small hole in the wall next to your switch. It might not look as nice, but it's functional.

-Jeff

#300864 - 23/07/2007 18:28 Re: Electrical switches [Re: insightful]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I could do that. And I think you're right about the code, though I'm honestly not too concerned. Apparently if there's an insulating baffle you can do it, though, based on some products I've seen while researching this. More annoyingly, certainly none of the lighted switches I'm looking at will work, since they'd be expecting 120VAC. And part of my purpose was to tidy it up a little. Certainly the wife would never go for a doorbell switch inside the house. She's still laughing at me for being this lazy.

Edited by wfaulk (23/07/2007 18:29)

#300865 - 23/07/2007 18:38 Re: Electrical switches [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
In addition to the standard garage door switch that came with the opener (which is installed in the garage next to the doorway into the house), I have two doorbell switches that also open the door. One at the front of the garage, inside, to one side of the door. And the other in the house, inside the front closet whicih is right by the front door.

That gives me access to opening and closing the garage door from all practical locations. The garage also has two 120VAC light switches (3-way design), one is by the garage door itself near the doorbell I mentioned above and the other is inside the house next to the doorway into the garage. The light on the opener can only be turned on from the stock/original switch and remotes.

I also used to have a couple of little devices that would light up if the garage door was opened which I kept near my doorbell in the living room and in my bedroom. Not so useful after I ran over the sensor which triggers them (it fell off the door without me noticing )

#300866 - 24/07/2007 09:27 Re: Electrical switches [Re: sein]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Damn - I had no idea you sold that kind of gear.

I've just finished buying some kit for the lounge - cat5, speaker posts etc all on Iridium black backs...

Ah, next time

#300867 - 24/07/2007 10:57 Re: Electrical switches [Re: LittleBlueThing]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Yeah totally. I have nearly everything from decorative lighting to industrial switchgear. If anyone is in need of electrical fittings in the UK, send a PM.