Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295557 - 20/03/2007 20:04 Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?)
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Basicly my roommate and I have a little over 1000+ DVDs not counting all the seasons of tv shows. Its become a real hassle finding room/storage space for them all let alone keeping track of where a particular movie is.. The idea I had come up with might cost a little bit but think will solve the problem and figured I would run it by you guys and see if anyone else has done it..

Im basicly thinking of replacing the pain in the ass TiVo with a Mythbox and add a few WD 1TB USB/Firewire drives and rip the movies to it cause i saw they have a plugin for that stuff.. Also thought maybe Id run my hardware past you guys and see if theres anything that might stick out as a potential linux problem for me? And if maybe you might know of a dual tuner PCI card that would work well? The HD Componet module uses a PCI slot bay so that would leave me with only one. Thanks guys!

Case: Antec Fusion
MB: Asus M2NPV-VM
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4600+
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SI-128
Ram: Corsair 1GB PC2-6400 x2
DVD: DVD+-RW Drive
HD: WD Caviar RE2 400GB
Tuner: ???
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#295558 - 20/03/2007 20:42 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Having seen andym's Myth Box in action, I have to say it's quite impressive and well worth the effort.

One thing would worry me would be ripping all those DVD's without any form of backup. Have you thought about using some older PC bits you may have and use FreeNAS with several HD's in RAID 5 for max backup and storage space. 4 x 500Gb HD's would give you 1.5Tb of backed up storage on a very low spec machine capable of serving multiple clients.

Cheers

Cris.

#295559 - 20/03/2007 20:43 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
If you can swing it this thing is supposed to be the best dual HD Tuner out there. And it requires no PCI or even USB connections on your computers- it's all Cat5.

#295560 - 20/03/2007 21:24 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Im basicly thinking of replacing the pain in the ass TiVo with a Mythbox and add a few WD 1TB USB/Firewire drives and rip the movies to it cause i saw they have a plugin for that stuff.. Also thought maybe Id run my hardware past you guys and see if theres anything that might stick out as a potential linux problem for me? And if maybe you might know of a dual tuner PCI card that would work well? The HD Componet module uses a PCI slot bay so that would leave me with only one. Thanks guys!

Case: Antec Fusion
MB: Asus M2NPV-VM
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4600+
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SI-128
Ram: Corsair 1GB PC2-6400 x2
DVD: DVD+-RW Drive
HD: WD Caviar RE2 400GB
Tuner: ???

For tuners, go with ones that have built-in encoders. No chance of dropping frames that way. Avoid the Hauppauge PVR-500 (nice dual-tuner board), unless you can get a full refund if necessary. There are two versions of this board, one with larger Phillips tuners, and one with smaller Samsung tuners. The Samsungs are absolute crap. The Phillips are great. (ditto for some models of the PVR-150 single-tuner card, too!)

Anyone want a Samsung Hauppauge PVR-500, cheap ?

Note that you will likely have only 2 (or maybe 3) PCI slots available since the Fusion case requires a mATX form factor mobo. So a dual tuner card is a Good Idea; just avoid the Samsung modules.

For HDTV, you'll probably be using component video cables from your cable/satellite box, and the PVR-500 does normally have a dual set of inputs for that.

For off-the-air HDTV, and unencrypted cable HDTV, the HDHomeRun external dual tuner is excellent, and won't take up a PCI slot.

I have the Antec Fusion case, and like it. There are only two normal internal hard disk bays, though -- plenty for me but maybe not enough for a massive DVD collection.

The front knob is kind of useless. Myth has plugins to use the display and knob.

But I didn't like their "busy" displays, so I wrote a nice standalone app to manage the display for me -- no drivers, no mythlibs, no chain of servers talking to servers; just my vfd_updater gizmo.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (20/03/2007 21:32)

#295561 - 20/03/2007 21:35 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Yeah.

A nice thing about Myth is that it has a client/server model at the core, so distributing parts of it around a network is easy.

An annoying thing about Myth is that it has a client/server model at the core, so figuring out how to run a simple single machine setup can be confusing.

But you only have to figure it out once..

#295562 - 20/03/2007 22:40 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
A nice thing about Myth is that it has a client/server model at the core, so distributing parts of it around a network is easy.

That is one of the really impressive things about Andy's setup, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, but having a machine next to your TV that doesn't even have HD noise because it boots of the LAN is pretty cool !!!

Quote:
An annoying thing about Myth is that it has a client/server model at the core, so figuring out how to run a simple single machine setup can be confusing.

But you only have to figure it out once..

Well, I guess this is why I am still using my Tivo. Another reason is I can't get any digital transmission where I live, I only get Sky Digital which is a nasty setup for DIY PVR's like Myth

Cheers

Cris.

#295563 - 20/03/2007 22:40 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Cris]
SonicSnoop
addict

Quote:
Having seen andym's Myth Box in action, I have to say it's quite impressive and well worth the effort.

One thing would worry me would be ripping all those DVD's without any form of backup. Have you thought about using some older PC bits you may have and use FreeNAS with several HD's in RAID 5 for max backup and storage space. 4 x 500Gb HD's would give you 1.5Tb of backed up storage on a very low spec machine capable of serving multiple clients.

Cheers

Cris.

Yeah backups isnt something I have thought too much of just yet.. hehe its gonna be expensive just getting the 1tb drives to hold it all let alone extras for backups.. but yeah i can see a big need for it especailly after reading how long it takes to rip one dvd.. I dont have too much experience with raid, is that something i could do with the WD USB/Firewire drives or would they have to be PATA/SATA?? since the case has limited space i was wanting to go with the external HD's also so I could just add a hub to keep adding more as needed, cause i dont see us stop buying dvds any time soon. Is there a backup method that would work in the setup im wanting to do? really dont want to be stuck with internal drives or having to setup a second machine, unless i could some how use my LAMP box somehow but its only amd 1g with 756mb ram so not a whole lot going on there..

I think I will be checking out that HDHomeRun tuner, thanks for the tip, looks like its even very compatible with myth so that will make life easier...

Also thanks Mark for the link to that app you wrote, I will probobly be installing that when it comes time to do this system

I havent looked too much into software other then what hardware would be compatible with linux, cause i figure I can deal with the software side after all hardware is built and just toy with it.. I have seen a little bit about myth being client/server but didnt know too much more then just that.. so its actually designed to be run on 2 differnt machines? Am I going to have more lag between channel changes then the tivo with myth? I expect some just hope its not rediculous..
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#295564 - 20/03/2007 23:05 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: mlord]
SonicSnoop
addict

Quote:
For off-the-air HDTV, and unencrypted cable HDTV, the HDHomeRun external dual tuner is excellent, and won't take up a PCI slot.

How do i know if i have unencrypted cable? I have Comcast Digital in the Northern Va (USA) area.. we currently have a SD cable box but thinking of switching out to a HD one hence why im trying to set the myth up for HD..

#295565 - 21/03/2007 00:05 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Cris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Quote:
only get Sky Digital which is a nasty setup for DIY PVR's like Myth

n00b question here... In what way don't $ky and Myth get along? I have $ky and terrestrial digital here (no cable) and I've always had the Myth 'solution' in my back pocket as an alternative/supplementary solution.

#295566 - 21/03/2007 05:17 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: AndrewT]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
In what way don't $ky and Myth get along?

Sky uses it's own encryption, they have never released the details, so the only thing you can watch it on is a Sky Digibox. There are some free to air stations, such as the BBC. But, ITV and C4 etc... require a valid viewing card (even if it's inactive) to view. This means all the Sat PCI cards can't pick them up.

So you have to feed the Myth box via analogue and control with IR or something. Nasty solution compared to free view I think.

I hate living in a blackspot

Cheers

Cris.

#295567 - 21/03/2007 05:21 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
unless i could some how use my LAMP box somehow but its only amd 1g with 756mb ram so not a whole lot going on there..

That should be more than enough. It is better if you have a motherboard that lets you boot off USB, as otherwise you loose an IDE channel, you need to check that in your BIOS.

It's worth a try. It takes about 30 mins to set up freeNAS and test is all out. I'm going to be using it for a similar thing in the future, at the moment it's just for regular backups.

Cheers

Cris.

#295568 - 21/03/2007 10:30 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I have seen a little bit about myth being client/server but didnt know too much more then just that.. so its actually designed to be run on 2 differnt machines?

The client/server part of Myth is not the easiest thing to understand until you start to use it, but it is totally awesome and really worth taking advantage of. In MythTV terminology, the client is called a 'frontend' and the server is called a 'backend'.

A backend is the part that has the tuners and inputs attached to it. It receives the TV signal, schedules recordings and does the encoding.

A frontend is the GUI part. It has the menus that you can flick through, watch TV, watch recordings and schedule recordings here.

You can have the frontend and backend on the same machine of course, or seperate them over a network.

At home my backend is a quiet PC which is hidden away that has some TV tuners in there. I have a frontend on my Macbook, my sister has one on her iBook, there is one on the modified Xbox. We can all watch TV/recordings at the same time if we liked (at the limit of 2 tuners). There is even a frontend called WinMyth for Windows but I could never get it to work. There is a very nice web interface which is classed as a frontend that can be used for scheduling recordings too.

All very exciting. Just to make things a bit more complicated, you can link together multiple backends as well, so they share the channels they have to offer and recordings too. I could link my Myth backend with my friend in the US and he could watch UK TV and I could watch US TV if we had enough bandwidth!

Quote:
Am I going to have more lag between channel changes then the tivo with myth? I expect some just hope its not ridiculous..

I don't have a Tivo so can't compare, but there is enough lag watching UK SD DVB-T TV over WiFi to my MacBook to stop me from flicking between channels like I would on my set top box (maybe its a good thing?). I'd say its about 3 seconds to change channel. My backend is an AMD Sempron 2600+ w/1GB RAM and 2x Terratec Cinergy 1400 DVB-T PCI TV Tuners (I'm fairly sure they do MPEG encoding too) running MythTV 0.20. Its a bit faster to switch over on the Xbox which is connected on the LAN, about 2 seconds or so.

#295569 - 21/03/2007 11:43 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: sein]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Quote:
I'm fairly sure they do MPEG encoding too

They don't need to, dvb allready is an mpeg stream.
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#295570 - 21/03/2007 12:09 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
especailly after reading how long it takes to rip one dvd

Takes about 15-minutes with a modern DVD reader that hasn't been crippled by the firmware.

Cheer

#295571 - 21/03/2007 12:19 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: sein]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I have seen a little bit about myth being client/server but didnt know too much more then just that.. so its actually designed to be run on 2 differnt machines?

The client/server part of Myth is not the easiest thing to understand until you start to use it, but it is totally awesome and really worth taking advantage of. In MythTV terminology, the client is called a 'frontend' and the server is called a 'backend'.

A backend is the part that has the tuners and inputs attached to it. It receives the TV signal, schedules recordings and does the encoding.

A frontend is the GUI part. It has the menus that you can flick through, watch TV, watch recordings and schedule recordings here.

There is also a MySQL database at the heart of all of this. And this part also has an independent server part. Most people seem to run the MySQL server software on the same machine as the Myth-backend software. This is one of the more confusing aspects of every Myth installer I've seen -- you get prompted for all of these mysterious MySQL Server user/password/etc.. settings, and then prompted again for the Myth Server user/password/etc.. settings. No big deal now that you know about it.

Quote:
Am I going to have more lag between channel changes then the tivo with myth?

Probably. The software that is used for viewing ("myth frontend") is completely separate from the software used for managing the TV Tuner hardware ("myth backend"). So whenever you change channels, the two must switch gears, and the backend has to start recording to disk, and then finally the frontend has to begin reading/playing the file from disk. There's no direct connection between them (this is the most asked-for and most denied feature request for Myth, hands down). The channel change delay is typically about 3 seconds for analog, more for HD digital.

However.. once you have used it for a week or so, you'll find you no longer channel-surf at all, so channel-change times become totally non-important. Myth auto-nukes commercials, and is quite good at recording hundreds of hours of stuff in advance for you. I'm forever playing "catch up" with recordings it has captured months ago.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (21/03/2007 12:19)

#295572 - 21/03/2007 14:14 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: mlord]
Schido
enthusiast

Currently i'm using the opensource mediaportal on my main pc, with encrypted digital cable.
The reason for not using mythtv is that i play games on this machine too, that don't work too wel with linux.

It can do pretty much the same as mythtv (i think, haven't used mythtv) but is a bit simpler to set up.

Mediaportal has a cool new trick in the beta version: recording and/or watching multiple streams with 1 encoder, as long as they're on the same transponder

#295573 - 21/03/2007 15:19 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Schido]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I also liked Media Portal. After I got my HD tuner card I tried out everything but SageTV. For my specific card the Windows drivers were horrible, so I ended up with MythTV. But for "out of the box", I liked Media Portal the best. Easy setup, and some really cool features built in. For example it automatically retrieves video art & info from IMDB for your DVD's out of the box with no configuration.

If my tuner card worked better with Windows, Media Portal is what I would be using. (And in addition to watching/recording multiple things from one tuner, it does now support a client/server model.)

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#295574 - 21/03/2007 15:20 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: mlord]
SonicSnoop
addict

Quote:
Takes about 15-minutes with a modern DVD reader that hasn't been crippled by the firmware.

Hmm i swear the plugin for myth I read said it took like almost as long as the movie it self.. if only about 15min then thats great wont take me as long as i had thought..

Thank you sein for that description of the backend/frontend.. helped clear up a few of my questions in my head about it.

as for the channel delay if its only around 2-3 sec i could live with it.. its what our tivo does...

Thank you all for your responses with this.. its really helped me get a much better picture of what im doing and sounds like will do what i need/want.. just need to work out that final detail of how to back this entire thing up and ill be ready to begin! have to crack my other linux box open and see how much space i have in there for HDs.. might have to see about getting a raid card for it or something, actually now that i think about it i think its either my abit or asus board that had raid built on it so I should have 4 PATA IDE ports on it already..

#295575 - 21/03/2007 15:40 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: SonicSnoop]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm i swear the plugin for myth I read said it took like almost as long as the movie it self.. if only about 15min then thats great wont take me as long as i had thought..

About 15-minutes to rip it to disk, with the best rippers. Dunno about Myth. But if you are transcoding, then yes, it can take hours.

#295576 - 21/03/2007 15:48 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Schido]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Currently i'm using the opensource mediaportal on my main pc, with encrypted digital cable.

Does that work worldwide, or only in Europe, or where?

EDIT: Only in Europe, it seems, and only with a few specific tuners.
Presumably those tuners have smartcard slots of some kind?

thanks.

Edited by mlord (21/03/2007 15:49)

#295577 - 21/03/2007 16:38 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Cris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
One thing would worry me would be ripping all those DVD's without any form of backup.

Why? The physical DVD's are the backup, aren't they?

#295578 - 21/03/2007 16:48 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Why? The physical DVD's are the backup, aren't they?

I was gonna reply that very thing. Then I thought about it.

He's talking about doing the DVD equivalent of what we do with our empeg car players. And I still keep my MP3s backed up in at least one additional place other than the empeg itself, even though I've still got all my CDs. Because what I'm protecting against isn't permanent loss of the music, I'm protecting against the lost time spent in carefully ripping, encoding, tagging, and organizing.

On the other hand, that also makes me think: For DVDs which (save for a hadful of favorites) I will only watch once or twice, I wouldn't even bother to go to all that trouble of buying the server, configuring the software, ripping, and organizing everything. A DVD collection isn't the sort of thing I'd need to put on shuffle play, so for me it's easier just to buy a nice bookcase for them and be done with it.

I admit, the idea of having a screen full of thousands of movies I can just click on without leaving my couch is tempting. That'd be pretty awesome tech. And if that's integrated with a MythTV tivo-like kinda thing, then it starts to make a lot of sense. But not if I have to be the one to encode all those DVDs.

#295579 - 21/03/2007 17:04 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I'm with Tony. The physical disks (especially *copies* with restrictions removed) make more sense for me, too, than managing a mult-terabyte server for stuff used maybe three times or so. But a bit household/family might have different usage patterns.

Cheers

#295580 - 21/03/2007 17:57 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Because what I'm protecting against isn't permanent loss of the music, I'm protecting against the lost time spent in carefully ripping, encoding, tagging, and organizing.

Spot on !!! It's a time thing. In my experience ripping a DVD is not quick at all, esp if you are ripping only parts of the DVD etc... If you have made the decision to go for that playback solution you have to include backup in your plan. RAID 5 is perfect as you get max space out of your drives while still having cover if one of the drives fails.

Quote:
A DVD collection isn't the sort of thing I'd need to put on shuffle play, so for me it's easier just to buy a nice bookcase for them and be done with it.

For me it's a space issue. I don't have the space downstairs in my living room for shelves of DVD's and CD's. The megachanger allows me to hide my collection, in my case almost completly (under the stairs), feed the main TV and also the rest of the house via the TV distibution system in the loft. An IP based solution is the next step on from this.

Day to day it's great having all our moves in one place, I watch more moves because of it, I sit down to have my meal and if there is nothing on TV just select a film I haven't seen in a while, easy

Cheers

Cris.

#295581 - 21/03/2007 18:03 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: mlord]
Schido
enthusiast

Quote:

Presumably those tuners have smartcard slots of some kind?

Yep.
I'm using a Technotrend C1500 with the ci module and the Alphacrypt (That cam is the only one that works for my cable provider, but no official support)
I have the digital subscription for the same price as i was paying for analog, with 15€ starting costs, that included the set top box and the smart card.

#295582 - 21/03/2007 18:26 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Schido]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What provider are you connected to?

#295583 - 21/03/2007 18:54 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
For me it's a space issue. I don't have the space downstairs in my living room for shelves of DVD's and CD's. The megachanger allows me to hide my collection, in my case almost completly (under the stairs), feed the main TV and also the rest of the house via the TV distibution system in the loft. An IP based solution is the next step on from this.

Or just go with a low tech solution like a CD/DVD binder. Toss all the packaging except for the disc, and you save a ton of space. Make sure to get a binder with removable pages so that keeping the collection in order is easier. I did this with my computer games ages ago, and might do this for DVDs now that my shelves are getting quite packed. I had considered ripping my movies, but the space usage on my collection would be quite a bit, even with transcoding. And it's not really worth the time to me, since as others pointed out, I don't put my movies on shuffle play.

#295584 - 21/03/2007 19:01 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: drakino]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Or just go with a low tech solution like a CD/DVD binder.

Ah, but your solution doesn't take into account how lazy I am

Cheers

Cris.

#295585 - 22/03/2007 04:44 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: julf]
Schido
enthusiast

Quote:
What provider are you connected to?

www.home.nl (only choice for cable where i live, hurray for the open market!)

Here's a guide (in dutch)
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1096768

#295586 - 22/03/2007 08:21 Re: Large DVD Collections/Solutions (MythBox?) [Re: Schido]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Thanks! Seems I can't get @Home here, this is very much UPC territory , and as tweakers.net state: "Voor UPC (Nagravision 2 encryptie) is nog geen methode bekend om het versleutelde pakket op de computer te kunnen bekijken!"

So no dice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >