Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#302772 - 03/10/2007 00:20 FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I still like having the original CD, but considering tracks are usually $0.89 or cheaper when buying the whole CD, knowing that I'll get LAME 3.97 VBR files w. cover art is really nice! I did a search here and didn't see it mentioned, but I know we have a few fellow LAME fans here. Sure beats i-tunes AAC, DRM files in my opinion...

Link

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (03/10/2007 00:21)

#302773 - 03/10/2007 00:28 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Just doing a search, I've been very happy w. the selection!

Meat Beat Manifesto
Pop Will Eat Itself
Skinny Puppy (too bad I've already purchased all of these artists' CDs!)
and my guilty pleasure Lily Allen!

#302774 - 03/10/2007 00:50 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I would take mp3 over some drm crap for sure but I like having the cds.

What I really would like is a store that I can order the cd from but also lets me download it right away in some drm format that could expire in a few days. I pre-ordered a disk once and they did that but I have never seen it done again.

Matt

#302775 - 03/10/2007 00:59 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: msaeger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:

What I really would like is a store that I can order the cd from but also lets me download it right away in some drm format that could expire in a few days. I pre-ordered a disk once and they did that but I have never seen it done again.

That would be great. You'd get the instant gratification of your purchase plus the long term benefit of owning the CD.

#302776 - 03/10/2007 01:57 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

That would be great. You'd get the instant gratification of your purchase plus the long term benefit of owning the CD.

AnywhereCD did that. You bought albums from their website and you'd be able to instantly download MP3s of it. Later on they would send you the CD. Its all gone now however. Music labels didn't like that idea and end users didn't like having to buy entire albums.

#302777 - 03/10/2007 10:41 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
There was a thread about the store (not necessarily about Lame), but nobody seemed to reply to it...

My wife is using the Amazon store now, which is great because now I get to listen to the songs she purchases. iTunes didn't make that possible.

Personally, I still do not see myself frequenting any online music stores. I just like having the CD, and like I said in the other thread, usually you can find a "like new" CD on Amazon Marketplace for less than you can buy the digital copy. Then you can rip it however you like and you have the physical disc.

Also, we've already found an annoyance. For the second song we downloaded at the store, after we confirmed the order it just spat us back out to the main MP3 page. There was no confirmation page, and no download box. We then had no way of downloading the song we had just purchased. We had to contact Amazon and they opened the song back up to us the next day.

Aside from that I like how the store operates. You have to download and install a small downloader application, which takes the song you've purchase, puts it in a download queue, and when it's done it'll add it to your iTunes or WMP library automatically (I don't use either, but it's still a good feature).

Oh, and Lily Allen is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. She's pretty bad live, though.

#302778 - 03/10/2007 11:06 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: Dignan]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hmm,

I still just want to buy a real physical CD. Mostly because I want the whole album. Then I can rip to whatever format suits my needs best. FLAC for archiving and playback on the home stereo and MP3 for all other use.

I also like a real CD liner. Sure it's nothing compared to an old LP jacket, but still....

#302779 - 03/10/2007 11:25 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: petteri]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Hmm,

I still just want to buy a real physical CD. Mostly because I want the whole album. Then I can rip to whatever format suits my needs best. FLAC for archiving and playback on the home stereo and MP3 for all other use.

I also like a real CD liner. Sure it's nothing compared to an old LP jacket, but still....

I agree completely.

And happy birthday!

#302780 - 03/10/2007 11:45 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The other thread may not have received replies because everyone concurred. I think $10 is too expensive for a handful of MP3 files. I'd still have a problem at $5 except for an album here or there to tell you the truth. Currently I'll buy a new release very infrequently and if I want it bad enough will pay the local store prices ($16-18 Canadian - which is like $50 US right now )

For everything else however, I search eBay and try to buy as many discs from individual sellers as possible, allowing the combining of shipping and averaging down of total costs. The goal is trying to keep each disc under $5 when all is said and done.

Ripping yourself can be a hassle but I have the satisfaction of knowing I'm able to do it again should the need arise. Album artwork gets put into every track via iTunes (their store's selection is very good) or cut and pasted from Rate Your Music.com. If artwork isn't available or of high enough quality, I'll scan it myself from the CD cover - this increases the hassle factor significantly of course.

#302781 - 03/10/2007 12:23 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was having a short email conversation with Bob Mould yesterday about the cost of digitally distributed music. I mentioned that I wasn't willing to pay as much for a download as I was willing to pay for a CD. He had an interesting argument:

Quote:
Digital distribution should also not diminish the fair market value of art, despite what the "new world" arguments would say. Paintings and sculptures don't cost less because FedEx is cheaper than a door-to-door trans-Oceanic delivery.

Now there are obvious counterarguments to that, such as the physical medium argument, getting lossy compression, lack of cover art, percent of profit going to the artist, etc.

But his point was not one I had thought of, and I think it's worthy of consideration.

#302782 - 03/10/2007 12:36 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The argument quoted isn't valid. It's talking strictly of the delivery method for a good that can be delivered many different ways. Same can apply to a CD. But as soon as you take the CD out of the picture, you're onto a different argument entirely.

More appropriate would be whether you're buying an original piece of art, or a lithographic reproduction. Even though it's not as appropriate as I'd like, because the CD itself is also a reproduction.

I've been noticing a lot of arguments for hot topics lately going the way of the analogy to try and put them into some "other" perspective. This isn't necessary though and only serves to cloud the issue in many of these cases.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not devaluing the artistic merit of the music itself, but I'm not getting the same quality music in all circumstances. And I very much place a value on that because it directly affects my current and future enjoyment of my purchase.

With the CD you're pretty much future-proofed as file-based formats evolve. As long as they don't surpass the quality of current CDs of course. With an MP3 you will further alter the content and lose additional quality should you desire to format-shift. One is a master copy and the other a preview copy. Since I'm always on the look out to get CDs for $5, I'm not willing to pay *more* for downloaded altered/compressed copies.

I'd probably be willing to pay as much for FLAC downloads packaged with a high resolution PDF of the cover and liners. But that's not likely to happen due to the fear of someone turning around to mass-produce and sell "reprints"

#302783 - 03/10/2007 12:47 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Those are all counterarguments I made to him.

(There are artists whose intended output is a lithograph, though -- many Art Nouveau artists come to mind -- and I made the argument of a fax of one versus an actual one, though even actual lithograph versus a poster is reasonable.)

The point being that I hadn't considered the fact that the artist might feel that his work is worth a certain amount, regardless of how much of it he receives. Digital distribution might well be considered, from the artist's point of view, as a way to reduce his overhead, not a way to lower the price.

Again, those are all valid counterarguments, and, as a commercial venture, the proprietor must consider the consumers' desires, but, from a certain point of view, the artist is still getting his music to individuals. He doesn't care what format it's in, only the consumer does.

#302784 - 03/10/2007 14:12 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Again, those are all valid counterarguments, and, as a commercial venture, the proprietor must consider the consumers' desires, but, from a certain point of view, the artist is still getting his music to individuals. He doesn't care what format it's in, only the consumer does.

Damn, I got bitten by the post time-out. I forgot to copy the contents before pressing the submit button. Argh. Cut-rate version of original post below. This one is only valued at 1 cent compared to the 2c of the original.

Speaking as an artist, I have to cater to what a client wants when I'm producing something for their consumption. With regards to pricing I have to also be sensitive to their needs. The only time I don't have to do this is when creating for the sake of creating (anything for myself for instance).

Let the artist release only a single version of their work. Download-only for instance. As soon as multiple versions are available it is only natural for anyone to valuate them in relation to each other. For me that valuation uses the criteria I've already mentioned, chiefly sound quality and integrity.

The music industry has proven countless times they don't understand consumers and definitely have no clue when it comes to business in the 21st century. Unfortunately many artists are equally out of the loop.

Bottom line: the consumer is king. Value is something each consumer can decide for themselves. If artists don't agree, then they're spending too much time on the pipe.

#302785 - 03/10/2007 15:22 Re: FYI: Amazon.com Mp3 DRM free downloads use Lame 3.97 [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

All I'm saying is that it is possible for an artist to feel that people are trying to devalue his work. I'm not agreeing with it, I'm just pointing it out as a point of view that I hadn't considered.

Another more powerful argument is looking at the price differentials between media back when CDs, cassettes, and vinyl were all popular at the same time.