Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#306219 - 15/01/2008 22:25 Dear Mr. Jobs
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Dear Mr. Jobs,

I held off jailbreaking my iPod Touch because I'd heard that in early 2008 you'd be opening it up to third party apps.

When I first bought the Touch, I was disappointed because I thought I'd get Wifi versions of some of the iPhone apps. Sadly, its list of applets paled in comparison to the iPhone. Jailbreaking was one way around that, but I held off because I didn't want to miss out on the cornucopia of third-party apps that would be released in early 2008, once you opened it up.

So today I learned there's a new update to the Touch, it's a spectacular update adding things like Mail and Google Maps, things I'd wanted all along (and honestly, thought I was getting all along).

Sadly, I also learned the following two things about this update:

1. It's still not opened up.

2. The update costs 20.00.

What the fuck, Steve?

Do you know what this software release did for me? I'll tell you what it didn't do: It didn't prompt me to spend 20 more dollars on the thing.

Guess what today's announcement *did* prompt me to do? And I'll bet lots of others, too...

#306220 - 15/01/2008 23:20 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Tony, I hear you - kinda lame for them to grab a quick $20 for people that bought an iPod Touch. The SDK that you are looking forward to is only about a month away, from what I gather...

The new update IS pretty cool, btw.

- Jon

#306221 - 15/01/2008 23:39 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
There's something I learned a looooong time ago -- never, ever, buy the first version of anything electronic, or mechanical, unless you can fix it yourself.

Following that rule has saved me a ton of aggravation, and often money -- 95% of the time, between the release of the first, and new, bug-fixed, second version, I discover that I didn't really need the product in the first place.

#306223 - 16/01/2008 00:48 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Just wait until people find out the 10.5.2 update for Mac OS 10.5 is going to cost $50.

Leopard is the most broken OS I've ever used. frown

#306224 - 16/01/2008 01:22 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
There's something I learned a looooong time ago -- never, ever, buy the first version of anything electronic, or mechanical, unless you can fix it yourself.

Hey, I was perfectly happy with my Mk1... :-)

#306225 - 16/01/2008 01:53 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris

1. It's still not opened up.

They said February from day one of the SDK announcement.

Originally Posted By: tfabris

2. The update costs 20.00.

Thank Sarbanes Oxley. This already happened with the 802.11n upgrade on certain systems not advertised with the feature.

Quote:
In order to unlock the pre-standard 802.11n features, you have to pay $5, with Apple saying that they cannot be seen as "giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures." The thinking, basically is that they would be unfairly recognizing the revenue early, since they hadn't completely delivered the product. The alternative would be to not recognize all the revenue ahead of time, but that presents other problems, and could even be more costly. Thus, consumers get the fun of having to pay extra to upgrade. Yet another fun unexpected consequence from excessive meddling from politicians.

Your tax dollars at work.

Odds are, Apple never really intended to put these features in to the Touch, trying to sell it as an iPod more then anything. The market snapped them up for web terminals like you did, and so Apple is responding to that now. But, they never said you would get such features ahead of time, so bam, you need income to write in the books to push it out.

#306226 - 16/01/2008 01:59 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8

How so? Beyond NVidia having their head up, well, something and releasing crap drivers for the 8600, I really haven't heard much in the way of actual serious problems in the OS to make me see it as any worse then previous 10.x.0 releases. I didn't have some third party kernel hack installed to hose up my upgrade, I have Time Machine running fine off the NAS, and in general have been pretty happy. Am I just lucky in the 3 installs of Leopard I interact with on a daily basis? Nothing I have seen has me running back to 10.4.11.

#306227 - 16/01/2008 05:30 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: drakino]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: drakino

How so?

Don't you see, Drakino? Apple is starting to make serious gains in the market, so that means they're evil, and as penance, they should just give everything away. Because $20 is too much to pay for a software update.

Especially since when people bought the iPod Touch, they didn't feel the price they paid was worth what they got. So anything that ever gets added should be theirs for free.

Oh, and the iPhone too. Since, you know, they didn't really think they should have paid the price they did at launch, so they deserve a rebate.

Maybe I should go to the Benz dealership and complain that people who got a 2008 E-Series got stuff I didn't get.

Does the entire world have this unbearable sense of entitlement? Or is it just America?

#306231 - 16/01/2008 08:39 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: webroach]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: webroach
Apple is starting to make serious gains in the market, so that means they're evil, and as penance, they should just give everything away. Because $20 is too much to pay for a software update.

I guess the value of a software update is what the market will bear. But personally, I hope the market doesn't bear the thought of charging for software updates for consumer electronics. Rio did think about it at one stage, but fortunately it was abandoned on technical grounds (there was no way of tying a purchased upgrade file to a specific device) without us having to persuade them what a PR disaster it would be.

Are there any other consumer-electronics companies who charge for software upgrades? Or at least, for ones which the end-user can apply themselves?

Peter

#306232 - 16/01/2008 08:56 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
HP wanted to charge me for XP drivers for my scanner which I bought the week before XP came out. If I remember rightly it was nearly £50 they wanted as well.

The end result was that my scanner sat unused for 18 months until someone at HP came to their senses frown

#306233 - 16/01/2008 08:56 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: peter]
tman
carpal tunnel

Its not $20 for the 1.1.3 update. Its $20 to get the iPhone apps on your iPod touch e.g. Google Maps, Notes, Stocks, Weather and Mail.

#306237 - 16/01/2008 11:36 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I'd just be interested in an iPod Touch that had more than 16G of memory.

#306241 - 16/01/2008 13:34 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Well, there are broken things that are bugs and then things that are broken by design.

By design you have things like the atrocious menu bar, dock, stacks' overlapped icons in the dock, dock's inability to show folder contents as a list, super-fugly folder icons, no way to set file ownership from GUI anymore, the nice rounded corners on the menu bar are gone, the blue apple top left is now black, help viewer is now some bastard always-on-top non-standard window that can't be closed from the keyboard, throbbers in Mail spin way too fast, Time Machine asks if it can use every single external volume you connect and there's no way to disable this pain in the ass prompting from the GUI even if Time Machine is OFF, etc...

Things that are broken with bugs include, lots of crashes in Mail even when it's just sitting there doing nothing, lots of crashes in Safari without hitting bad pages, crashes when hitting bad pages, safari gets frozen/bogged often while working on one page that it affects all windows and/or tabs, ownership issues when updating from Tiger due to missing user group causes an "unknown" group to appear in file perms, adjusting ACL/perms can crash because of this, finder unable to eject DVD from drive quite often with keyboard shortcut (drag to trash usually works), unable to eject some external volumes every now and then, shared computers sometimes don't show their folders and are unable to be ejected/refreshed, spotlight completely trashes and permanently damages Tiger's Spotlight on another drive, renaming a file inside an expanded subfolder while in list view will escape out of rename if you hold the left cursor key to try and move the insertion point, connecting and/or disconnecting an external display to my PowerBook will often leave the graphics rendering in some weird state that looks like 16bit without dithering, doing the same can often leave font smoothing in some weird state where some fonts on some web pages now look much thinner than they're supposed to, these last two issues can affect the external display, internal or both (ATI graphics on this machine), on my Intel Mac PubSubAgent crashes every 10 minutes and all text/string objects in iTunes windows appear inside a light grey box instead of properly showing through to the window background, etc...

On the plus side, WiFi reception seems to be much better. I tested this by switching between Tiger and Leopard without changing anything else nor moving the machine. It was a huge surprise to say the least.

The folder icons are fugly and not on an angle for only one reason - so they show up properly in Cover Flow. They should have included an alternate icon resource that could be used for CoverFlow views. This would solve a lot of problems with a lot of file types. Strangely I've never seen anyone else mention this as the reason for the new icons.

Apple knew Leopard wasn't ready for prime time when they released it. But there's no way they were going to pull a Vista again.

The examples I mentioned above are strictly issues that I have right now or have had with my two Leopard installations. I'm not including the enormous list of problems other people have had with things like Time Machine, Spaces and other features, nor am I including the issues caused to third-party programs (and many not because those programs were at all deficient or bending the rules).

The 10.5.2 update is going to be enormous in size and is the version that I've always heard one should wait for before updating to Leopard (I first heard this back in early October from friends that work closely with Apple).

#306243 - 16/01/2008 13:47 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'm surprised there's no commentary here today about the MacBook Air. I've always said that I'd buy a Mac laptop once they had something in the sub-3 pound category. This is close enough.

Stuff I like:
- light weight
- decent sized screen / keyboard

Stuff I'm not sure about:
- lack of Firewire or most any other useful ports
- lack of ExpressCard or any other expansion slots (I'd have to carry around a CompactFlash/USB adapter for my camera.)
- Fixed (iPod-esque) battery
- $1000 premium to get the SSD disk, otherwise you get the dog-slow 4200RPM hard disk
- I really like the fingerprint scanner on my ThinkPad. Nice to not worry about shoulder-surfing.

Stuff that's almost a deal breaker:
- Shiny LCD screens. What is Apple thinking?

Still, it's an awfully sweet machine...

#306244 - 16/01/2008 14:19 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: DWallach]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Is the whole non-replaceable battery thing such a big deal? I've never taken the battery out of any of my laptops, and the Air has a huge 5hr runtime to make the need to swap between two batteries much less of a necessity. Anyway, the replacement battery is pretty cheap, and free install on that too.

Whats with the 300 GBP difference between UK and US pricing anyway? I thought the difference on the other Macbooks was less.

#306245 - 16/01/2008 14:23 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: DWallach
I'm surprised there's no commentary here today about the MacBook Air.

I would have posted something about the keynote, but I think this thread was more for griping about the firmware update cost.

I know I'm not an Apple fan, but I'd have to say that I was more positive about yesterday's announcements than any previous years'. The only thing that still bothers me is the iTunes pricing. I know that's not up to Apple, but for me, every single thing on that store is too expensive by double. It annoyed the hell out of me that, while watching the keynote, when Jobs gave the price for movie rentals everyone clapped. Seriously? $5 to rent an HD movie? You clap for that?

It still bugs me that TV episodes cost $2. I can't believe there are people out there, and on this board, who will actually pay $2 for a single episode of a TV show.

#306246 - 16/01/2008 14:26 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: sein]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sein
the Air has a huge 5hr runtime

I wouldn't really trust that claim. Battery life claims are always greater than real-world results, and I'll be interested in hearing hands-on test results for playing videos (since you can't play DVDs). Most planes these days still don't have power outlets.

#306247 - 16/01/2008 14:29 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm sure that people are concerned about the replacement. My last laptop I bought two or three new batteries for as the old ones wore out. Good to know that battery replacement labor is free, but I'd argue that $129 is a little pricey. Not a lot, but some. Then take into account that you have to take it somewhere rather than just swap it out.

Seems an odd design choice. I'm sure it was intended to reduce size, but still.

#306249 - 16/01/2008 14:49 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The battery seems to take up more than half the footprint (perhaps even volume) of the bottom portion of the machine.

Since I had no desire for this type of machine, I'll agree it's cool to see something so thin, but it doesn't do anything for me even after seeing it. I used to know a number of people that wanted a smaller Mac, but that extended to all dimensions, not just thickness. I am sure this machine will be a hit, but I think something with a 12" or even 10" screen would also have been.

Taking just 2" off the width and about 1" off the depth would have been a huge (positive) deal on this design.

I'm most eager to see what changes come with the next MacBook Pro revisions since I'd like to pick up a new notebook later in the summer.

#306250 - 16/01/2008 14:50 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: Dignan]
sein
old hand

Originally Posted By: Dignan
I wouldn't really trust that claim.

If it were anyone else I wouldn't really trust it, but Apple have this nice policy of making sure quoted battery life is realistic. A lot of the time reviews say that iPod battery life is more than quoted. Plus, my Macbook battery is still really good.

#306251 - 16/01/2008 14:53 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: sein]
sein
old hand

I'm pretty interested in the $99 USB Superdrive. It'd be sweet if it could be tacked onto an Apple TV to watch DVDs (and become a 'Remote Disc' too). It would also be nice if it would be able to plug into an Airport Extreme (that has USB, right?) and become a Remote Disc.

Talking about Remote Discs, can you write to them?

#306253 - 16/01/2008 15:33 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, there are broken things that are bugs and then things that are broken by design.

By design you have things like the atrocious menu bar, dock, stacks' overlapped icons in the dock, dock's inability to show folder contents as a list, super-fugly folder icons, no way to set file ownership from GUI anymore, the nice rounded corners on the menu bar are gone, the blue apple top left is now black, help viewer is now some bastard always-on-top non-standard window that can't be closed from the keyboard, throbbers in Mail spin way too fast, Time Machine asks if it can use every single external volume you connect and there's no way to disable this pain in the ass prompting from the GUI even if Time Machine is OFF, etc...

The "broken by design" stuff usually comes down to personal opinion. Yes, a lot in the GUI look changed and lots of it I do wonder why. I however also remember GUI elements changing in every previous 10.x release, so it wasn't really unexpected. I do appreciate the more unified approach to the actual windows now, since I stare at those more then I stare at the rounded corners of the menu bar. The dock, mine is on the side and it reverts to 2d there anyhow, so it hasn't annoyed me much. As for setting ownership on a file in the GUI, I had no problem doing it via the get info window as in previous releases. I don't have a Tiger install to compare exactly how it used to work, but I have a plus to add a user or group, and can set permissions for them, along with removing users or groups. It's exposing more of the ACL style and less of the pure user-group-world permission set.

Things that are broken with bugs include, lots of crashes in Mail even when it's just sitting there doing nothing, lots of crashes in Safari without hitting bad pages, crashes when hitting bad pages, safari gets frozen/bogged often while working on one page that it affects all windows and/or tabs,

I'm running Mail on 2 of the 3 machines use, both connected to IMAP servers with tons of thousands of e-mails, and at work tons of smart folders too. I'm even using some plugins at work, and I haven't had a single Mail crash. I can remember one hang at home, but nothing like crashes just from sitting there. I have seen Safari act up a little, but it's not been enough to get me over to Camino or another OS X browser (Firefox 2 is out due to the fonts). Your other comments I can't comment on based on personal experience as I haven't seen issues like those. Definitely not having a process crash every 10 minutes and such.

I know people are having issues with 10.5, but people also had issues with 10.4, and 10.3, and 10.2, and 10.1, and most definitely 10.0. But I have to question the "most broken OS" part. I definitely haven't had the feeling of wanting to run back to Tiger like Vista did for me in regards to upgrading to XP.

Interestingly, Leopard did make the transition to a full Universal OS. I restored a Time Machine backup from an Intel Mac Mini to a PowerPC Mac Mini with no problem. Everything was just the way it was, except for a few Intel only 3rd party apps showing up as not runnable in the Applications folder. That impressed me quite a bit, especially when Microsoft is still struggling even with a simple 32 to 64 bit transition for years now.

#306257 - 16/01/2008 18:16 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: DWallach]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK

All i could see was Macbook performance for nigh on Macbook Pro money. No thanks.....

Andy M

#306259 - 16/01/2008 18:59 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andym

All i could see was Macbook performance for nigh on Macbook Pro money. No thanks.....

Thin and small laptops have always commanded a price premium, so not much different here. I'm curious to see how much of a market there is for them, because right now I see the MacBook Air in a similar way as I did the G4 Cube. Cool, but probably not something that sells well enough to justify keeping it around.

Gizmodo did a comparison between 4 other small laptops:

Though most of these models are competition more for a Macbook.

#306263 - 16/01/2008 21:26 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Strange that there's not much out there in the same league as my 2.5lb Dell X1 (aka. Samsung(?) Q30).

Time to get an EeePC, I think. After the next CPU upgrade this spring.

Cheers

#306265 - 16/01/2008 23:55 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Strange that there's not much out there in the same league as my 2.5lb Dell X1 (aka. Samsung(?) Q30).

That's what I've been thinking for a while now! Any idea why Dell abandoned the X1 line? I thought those laptops were really neat.

Quote:

I've been thinking that lately. Those look like really cool little devices. I think I might wait, though, and either get it at a lower price or see what they do with the next revision. The battery life is a little low for me at 2.8 hours. Other than that I think it's really cool.

#306266 - 17/01/2008 00:32 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mlord

I've been thinking that lately. Those look like really cool little devices. I think I might wait, though, and either get it at a lower price or see what they do with the next revision. The battery life is a little low for me at 2.8 hours. Other than that I think it's really cool.

They're very cool, but they do run quite hot. The shop around the corner from us has a demo out on the counter. I *like* it!

The best rumour is that they'll release a spring update with a lower-wattage CPU, which should eliminate the fan and significantly improve battery life. I hope to pick one up before the summer Empeg Meet, for use as a tourist PC.

EDIT: Speaking of which, these are so tiny that we could bring along some extras for anyone in the UK/EU that might want one at Canada/USA pricing.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (17/01/2008 00:37)

#306267 - 17/01/2008 00:38 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.

I got an OLPC XO just to see what kind of a job they did with it (good, IMO) but I am going to get an EeePC, I think.

Had lunch today with a friend who is a long-time Apple afficionado and the Air launch has him thinking that Apple has Jumped the Steve -- was amazed that this was all they had to show. "Only one USB port?" he said, "and still it's 3 pounds?"

You could view this as a problem of raised expectations. Or not.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#306268 - 17/01/2008 02:26 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Wow, it sounds like I was much more positive about this keynote than Apple fans. That's a little weird. Like I said before, I was very positive about everything they had to present, aside from the pricing for movie rentals.

#306270 - 17/01/2008 13:24 Re: Dear Mr. Jobs [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I ended up deciding to go with the MacBook Air. Yeah, the lack of ports is really annoying, but it's going to drop the weight of my travel bag by a full pound, double my battery life, and give me a larger screen (versus my ThinkPad X41 Tablet with the extended battery).

A friend of mine has an EeePC. Very cute. I could see using one for occasional web surfing or email reading, but I wouldn't want to do any serious typing on one. The keyboard is really cramped, but not as bad as the OLPC. You need kid fingers to properly operate that thing. I found typing on one to be incredibly difficult.

As to Apple's "Remote Disc", I'll be interested to learn more about that. I've been using Windows file sharing for the last ten years to share CDROMs and whatnot from my desktop to each of my laptops, none of which have had CDROM drives on their own. If Apple enables remote CD burning, that would be a good thing. If they enable remote CD ripping, then that's even better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >