Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#317936 - 09/01/2009 03:17 Can't trust Google searches - how do you limit results?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Google seems to like interpreting the search terms I'm typing rather than looking for the actual terms themselves. That's useful when you type something incorrectly, but at that point I'm looking for a suggestion of a correction, not multiple pages of results for irrelevant matches.

As an example, I just searched for the following three terms: dvdo ces 2009

None of the top results even contained the term "dvdo" anywhere on their pages. Some of them include the term "dvd" but some other, like the top match, didn't. Actually that top match isn't a valid search at all, it's a "news" item. It is in fact about the Consumer Electronics Show, but it only includes the term "ces" once on the page and not even next to the "2009" hardly worth of being at the top.

Putting dvdo in quotes seems to help the situation out a bit, but this is a little asinine. A single word in quotes. Argh.

#317937 - 09/01/2009 04:28 Re: Can't trust Google searches - how do you limit results? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Try adding "-DVD" (no, I don't want your auto-correct, thanks...)