Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326331 - 24/09/2009 15:20 My iPhone 3G refuses to transfer purchased apps to iTunes
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
My iPhone 3G refuses to transfer purchased apps to iTunes. This is causing me major problems with syncing.

Whenever I attempt to transfer apps from the iPhone to iTunes it goes through the motions, but never actually transfers anything. It displays the various apps in the info area at the top of the screen, but the progress bar never advances.

In comparsion when I sync other iPhones, using the same install of iTunes, the progress bar advances and apps are transferred.

The same also happens on clean installs of iTunes on other computers, it seems to be my iPhone that is the common factor. I have tried restoring the phone from a backup, which makes no difference.

This started happening months ago and the phone has since been upgraded to 3.0 and 3.1, but the problem still persists.

Originally it was just a minor irritation, but I made and attempt to fix it which has made things worse. I deleted all the apps from with iTunes and then did "Transfer purchases" in the hope that it might fix something.

It didn't fix anything. Also, I cannot now sync at all.

If I do sync iTunes now does "transferring purchases", fails to transfer and then deletes all the apps (and data) from my iPhone. It also means I can't sync music, podcasts or anything else.

I can't sync anything else, because I can't temporarily turn off app syncing because then iTunes warns that the apps on the iPhone will be deleted.

I also tried de-authorising and re-authorising.

What can I do to get app syncing working again ?

P.S. I have considered deleting all the apps and reinstalling them one by one, in the hope that it will fix the problem. However I don't really want to embark on doing that for 55+ apps and re-entering login details etc for the apps that need them, especially as I might then find out it didn't solve the problem.

#326336 - 24/09/2009 19:12 Re: My iPhone 3G refuses to transfer purchased apps to iTunes [Re: andy]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Why not try deleting just a few apps and reinstalling, although I would assume you have already done this.

I do seem to remember this being quite a common problem when I first got my iPhone, but I can't find anything in my book marks to tell me how I fixed it. Bugger.

Cheers

Cris.

#326339 - 24/09/2009 19:59 Re: My iPhone 3G refuses to transfer purchased apps to iTunes [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

As you guessed I've already tried deleting various apps and reinstalling. I tried deleting all the ones that get transferred first, in the hope that something about one of the earlier ones was causing the rest to fail.

#326340 - 24/09/2009 20:04 Re: My iPhone 3G refuses to transfer purchased apps to iTunes [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

I have managed one improvement. iTunes has stopped deleting the apps that aren't synced.

I don't know whether it was something I've done or whether it was a change in iTunes 9.1 that I installed today.

That change does at least make it just a minor inconvenience again, as I can now let it sync the rest of my data without it deleting my apps. Let's hope it stays that way...

I'd obviously still love to solve the underlying problem. Does anyone know if there is any extra logging I can turn on ? (not that there'd probably be any settings I could change if I located the problem)