Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326169 - 18/09/2009 03:20 CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
So, over the years there's been a ton of discussion about how this or that browser breaks the CSS box model, etc.. I've always been of the opinion that what's broken has been the standard.

IE for all its faults (oh there are so many) has at least done something here and there that made some sense. Such as the way it treats parts of CSS. It's completely broken in other respects, but at least some basic box construction works how one *might* expect. That's of course contrary to the spec.

That said, I don't think I've seen anything in the spec to illustrate why all browsers that follow it properly would fall down and completely break on such a simple test.

Here it is...

http://twistedmelon.com/testbox.php

I have one box inside another box, both set to the same width. The first, outside box has padding of 1, which means its real width is actually the width declaration plus 2. No problem, this part is dealt with correctly. The second box has only a background color set to distinguish it from the first and in the markup contains some formatted text. This is where the problem starts.

Neither box specifies a height.

Having padding, makes the outside box respect its contents. But the problem is actually with the inner box (now discovered). If the first box were to be defined with no padding, then the second, inner box, completely fills it as one might expect. But it's still a broken case due to the problem with the inner box...

With the example I included below, with padding of 1 pixel, you end up with the correct padding on the sides and about 10 pixels on the top and bottom.

If you add a border to the inner box, it will correctly fill up that bogus padding space. Likewise, if you include some UNFORMATTED text within it (uncomment the two test comments I added) then it also properly fills in the bogus padding.

What part of the CSS spec specifies that browsers should render this atrocity?

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html lang="en" xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
	<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
	<style type="text/css" media="all">
body {
	background: #000;
}

#outsidebox {
	background-color: #fff;
	width: 830px;
	padding: 1px;
}

#insidebox {
	background-color: silver;
	width: 830px;
}

</style>
</head>

<body>

<div id="outsidebox">
		<div id="insidebox">

<!-- unmarked text - remove comment tag for test -->

<h2>This is a Heading2 inside a box within an outer box</h2>
			<ul>
				<li>Both boxes are set to the same width </li>
				<li>The outer box has padding set to 1</li>
				<li>The top and bottom padding break</li>
			</ul>

<!-- unmarked text - remove comment tag for test -->

</div> <!-- end inside box div-->
	</div> <!-- end outside box div-->

</body>
</html>

If you set a positive padding for both the bottom and top (or padding for all 4 sides) of he inside box, it can also "fix" this issue. This shouldn't be necessary IMO. While there is no height set for the inner box, it should conform to its contents, the formatted text, or rather, the properties of the elements contained within the box.

The inner box in this broken case is conforming to the text itself instead of the margins that are present on the formated elements. h2 and ul have default margins that are clearly not being respected until you pop something else above or below them or the border onto the box or at least a padding of 1 to top and bottom as mentioned.

When you see the boxes in their apparent broken state, the apparent extra padding above and below the inner box are actually caused by the default margins for h2 and ul within the inner box.

So what am I missing? How can any sane person see this is the correct way to handle boxes?

As it stands, I think my solution is going to have to be to always make sure to set a top and bottom padding. When using this with boxes of fixed size, making sure to specify the width and height minus the padding amount (which is another backwards part of the standard). Most of my box elements invariably do end up with top and bottom padding, it just so happens that I was working on a new class and put some temporary content into it before finishing its layout, thereby showing this problem and just generally pissing me off. wink

Oh... If you don't put text into the inner box, it works fine, though of course you have to specify a height to hold its shape. Height doesn't do squat to fix the problem with text though, so no need to ask if I've tried it.

#326196 - 18/09/2009 15:13 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I fought and fought with this stuff like crazy. I don't have any solutions, though, I just kept fiddling with different things until it all worked on all my targeted browsers. For example, I finally had http://www.vixyandtony.com/music.html formatting correctly for every single browser.

Then I opened the web page on my Playstation. Gr.

#326199 - 18/09/2009 16:57 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Welcome to the broken world of HTML and CSS. Write broken HTML/CSS to work with broken browsers and break ones which are (mostly) compliant.

#326218 - 18/09/2009 20:44 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

My complaint is about having to write broken CSS to deal with browsers like Safari which are ACID3 compliant. If they're following the spec, the spec needs to be redone yesterday.

The box model should also be changed anyway such that only margin and border sit outside the defined dimensions of an element. Padding should be included in the defined size, period.

Wonder what CSS3 says about that. Not that I expect it to be finalized in my lifetime. It's already been what, 20 years?

#326220 - 18/09/2009 21:17 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
w3schools says: "Note: Browsers usually place a line break before and after the div element." One would assume because it's intended to be used for block elements.

#326221 - 18/09/2009 21:38 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Aha! You need to add this property to your innerbox:

display:inline-block;

#326222 - 18/09/2009 22:06 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Aha! You need to add this property to your innerbox:

display:inline-block;

Except some browsers (ahem IE6) don't support that property on items that aren't supposed to regularly be inline. But.... Maybe it will still work, because if it's ignored IE6 still does what I want it to do.

Kind of bloody dumb-ass to have to change the display property of a DIV which is already a block element to one that will now be inline and block. Because in this situation we don't actually want the block to be inline at all.

EDIT: Tested and it works beautifully. Thanks for the tip/reminder. This is probably something I've already run into and corrected long ago in a number of styles, but I haven't done any CSS in a while so I forget stuff like this. Sometimes I just find something that works and I don't even bother to figure out exactly what precisely caused it to work. As long as I'm writing valid CSS, I'm happy. smile

Edited by hybrid8 (18/09/2009 22:12)

#326427 - 29/09/2009 16:26 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't know that it's as helpful as its sister sites, but you might want to check out doctype.com.

#326521 - 05/10/2009 05:29 Re: CSS Box Model - what a pain in the ass [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I just came across this lovely mug which reminded me of this thread.