This is a problem on a friend's system which has frustrated the hell out of me for most of the day. Thankfully it's not an issue with any of my systems, but I'd really like to get the problem resolved.

It seems like and USB NTFS disk attached to the system will not be able to be connected to when browsing that system over the network. Any shares on the local C volume seem to work.

I have tested this from a number of network locations as well as frm the local machine itself by specifying its name in the address bar as "\\machinename"

The shares have been created the same way, with advanced sharing properties enabled, with full access. Then Security settings have also been set to full access for all users and user types: the logged in user, SYSTEM, Administrators, "Everyone" etc.

When I connect to that system from another system, such as my Mac or looping back to itself as I mentioned above, all the shares get listed. The ones that are on USB drives (even if it's the USB drive's root) will give an error when selected. When I connect from a network streamer such as the WDTV Live, only the shares on the local volumes even get listed.

I've been able to find one thread with someone describing a very similar issue, but there was no resolution. Like my systems, his is running XP SP3 and I've tried with and without windows firewall and with/without virus protection. Share settings are the same as I've used on my own machine as far as I recall. Even the workgroup name was set to the default "workgroup"

Without this working, his new WDTV Live can't browse any of his media on the network - he's only got that one WinXP system to hang the drive off of. Right now we've just connected the drive directly to the WDTV instead, but we'd really like to set it up to stream as originally intended.