Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#331005 - 13/03/2010 11:36 Bloat-free iTunes alternatives?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
All I want is something that will allow me to drag-and-drop MP3 files onto my iPod Shuffle. I don't want transcoding, video support, backup-your-iPod, or anything like that. For example, WinAmp would be too bloated, because it also plays music. I don't need that.

Suggestions?

#331006 - 13/03/2010 12:33 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: Roger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Doesn't it just work that way in "mass-storage" mode?

#331007 - 13/03/2010 12:35 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

Edited by mlord (13/03/2010 12:42)

#331008 - 13/03/2010 13:00 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
DoubleTwist

Songbird

I've used both and I think Songbird is a little further along and more focused on you using your own library. DoubleTwist makes it really easy to use your existing iTunes library.

I'm not positive how "light" each of them is, but I've tried them both and liked Songbird a lot. I'd still be using it if I didn't have a Zune Pass for my ZuneHD.

Oh, and Bruno hates Songbird wink

#331009 - 13/03/2010 13:04 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You called it. Songbird has everything (and more) that Roger doesn't want.

Songbird is the definition of bloat and makes iTunes look like a wisp. It's basically like running Firefox loaded with extensions for music playback and management.

#331010 - 13/03/2010 15:20 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll have a play with them later.

#331011 - 13/03/2010 15:22 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
You called it. Songbird has everything (and more) that Roger doesn't want.

Yeah, my question title wasn't clear. I don't want music management on my PC at all. I manage my tunes with some scripts and utilities of my own, and I play them back with WMP11.

Songbird is the definition of bloat and makes iTunes look like a wisp. It's basically like running Firefox loaded with extensions for music playback and management.

Does it run about a million services that I neither need nor want? I'm thinking for example of Bonjour. If not, then it's lighter than iTunes.

#331012 - 13/03/2010 15:57 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: Roger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You don't need Bonjour for iTunes. And Songbird is stuffed full of plugins and other bits. It's feature overload, but it can't even handle the basics even half as well as iTunes.

At this point I pretty much use iTunes only for tag manipulation (in Mac OS) - along with MP3Tag (in Windows). All my music is kept in a nice file hierarchy and playback is done through the best music playing software available, Squeezebox Server (which can output through Squeezebox units, the computer it's running on or any other computer).

#331013 - 13/03/2010 17:04 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

You don't need Bonjour for iTunes.

Are you going to tell the team responsible for the Windows iTunes installer that, or should I?

#331014 - 13/03/2010 17:22 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Songbird is the definition of bloat and makes iTunes look like a wisp.

Songbird is Teh Evil for worse reasons than that. It's like XBMC -- i.e., worse even than Firefox -- for nominally being open-source but in fact being stupidly, obstructively difficult to build from those open sources. Songbird expects you to download a whole bunch of binary dependencies for your system before you even start... a hopeless fail on the Joel test. (item #2 -- even if you loosen its requirement to the traditional three (four) build steps configure; make; make check; sudo make install.) Part of the implicit (but, unfortunately, not explicit) deal with open source is that the source has primacy and binary releases are a convenience; Songbird is part of a regrettable trend towards giving the binary release primacy and adding the source releases as afterthoughts or even not at all (in Songbird the source "releases" are tags, not tarballs).

Peter

#331015 - 13/03/2010 17:32 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
You don't need Bonjour for iTunes.

Are you going to tell the team responsible for the Windows iTunes installer that, or should I?

They already know, and provide detailed information on how to selectively install iTunes and other components for enterprise deployment. Bonjour is only required when using an AppleTV, Airport Express (for music streaming), iTunes remote, or music sharing to other iTunes users.

#331017 - 13/03/2010 19:36 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
You don't need Bonjour for iTunes. And Songbird is stuffed full of plugins and other bits. It's feature overload, but it can't even handle the basics even half as well as iTunes.

While you're right, and I won't disagree that it runs pretty bloated, it's better than the 4-5 constantly running processes that iTunes installs without your chosing.

And Tom, that guide doesn't excuse it. They should simply give you the option of running Bonjour or not. Why do you need a guide for deploying iTunes in an enterprise environment?

#331019 - 13/03/2010 20:08 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Most people have no idea what Bonjour is, or that they are even using it. By making it an easy to find option, it increases the chance a novice computer user will turn it off without realizing the impact it will have on their Apple TV. This causing them to either return the product, or call Apple support, incurring cost. Thats at least my theory, that it's a business decision. I can't provide an exact reasoning behind it.

As for "4 or 5 processes", they wouldn't impact performance on a modern machine. No more then the 50-60 or so processes Windows 7 runs out of the box. I'm not necessarily defending the decision, but Apple brings the tech they need to run on Windows platforms and provide the same services they do on the OS X side. Exactly the same way Microsoft Office and the Video for Windows codec installs other Microsoft components into OS X to function properly.

As for enterprise deployment, Apple sells this somewhat popular smartphone, and even 10% of Microsoft employees use it to access their work e-mail.

#331027 - 14/03/2010 02:02 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: drakino]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: dralomp
Most people have no idea what Bonjour is, or that they are even using it. By making it an easy to find option, it increases the chance a novice computer user will turn it off without realizing the impact it will have on their Apple TV.

I don't have Apple TV. In fact, the only Apple software I have on my computer is iTunes. Can I just delete Bonjour without causing any problems?

tanstaafl.

#331028 - 14/03/2010 02:15 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Even if you don't uninstall it you can go into the services panel and stop then disable it.

#331032 - 14/03/2010 04:35 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: gbeer
Even if you don't uninstall it you can go into the services panel and stop then disable it.

Done. Thank you.

tanstaafl.

#331033 - 14/03/2010 05:47 Re: Bloat-free iTunes alternatives? [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
As for "4 or 5 processes", they wouldn't impact performance on a modern machine.

Maybe not performance (except on my netbook), but definitely battery life. Moreover, now that Windows 7 has event-triggered, demand-started services, there's no need to have the majority of those processes permanently running at all...