Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#343983 - 02/04/2011 00:36 Arizona "sin tax"?
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42383307/ns/health-health_care/

Discuss.

Is this guy a looney or a voice for the opprossed?

#343986 - 02/04/2011 01:26 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
"Sin tax"? No, this is a reasonable attempt to recover some of the expenses imposed upon the rest of us by people who make unhealthy choices.

When I get to be King of the World, I will decree that anybody who uses tobacco shall be denied any and all health care that is provided at public expense.

Then I will locate every tobacco farmer in the country and pay him $1,000,000 as compensation for never growing another leaf of tobacco. In the long run the savings in health care costs will more than cover the million dollar payments.

I am a bit less willing to impose draconian sanctions on the obese. For many this is not a life choice but a condition predetermined by their genetic makeup. Don't punish people for things over which they have no control.

As far as feeling sorry for the poor (monetarily, not unfortunate) people who smoke... a single carton of cigarettes, perhaps a week's worth, costs as much as that $50 tax, and the price of the cigarettes is trivial compared to the true costs of smoking when you factor in health consequences, diminished life expectancy, damage to clothing and surroundings, and the antipathy and disgust that the habit incurs.

And yes, I know (not from personal experience, thankfully) that it is not easy to get over the tobacco addiction. TRUE ANECDOTE: a friend of mine used to live in Florida, and in his words he was a heavy cocaine user. One day he woke up in a motel with no idea where he was, when it was, or how he got there and he said "This stuff is gonna kill me. I quit." And he did, cold turkey, never touched it again. He moved to Alaska and when he first met the woman he subsequently married he asked her to go out with him. She told him she couldn't date someone who smoked, so he crumpled up his cigarette pack, tossed it in the trash and said "I just quit." He did, he never touched tobacco again, and he told me that "Quitting the cocaine was easy, a piece of cake, compared to quitting the tobacco. It was the hardest thing I'd ever done." This from a former Army Special Forces officer.

So, yeah, I have no problem with penalizing the people who run up my health care costs by smoking.

tanstaafl.

#343987 - 02/04/2011 02:23 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
From another MSNBC article linked from that piece:
Quote:

People who are obese or chronically ill, and those who smoke, would need to work with a primary-care physician to develop a plan to help them lose weight and otherwise improve their health."

So, the state health agency will be tasked with reviewing paperwork to enforce these sanctions, and doctors will waste time dealing with more red tape, all in the name of collecting a chump-change fee that will do very little to defray the costs of Medicaid. Boy, for "conservative" leaders, they do sure loves them some big government healthcare bureaucracy when it means they can punish the less fortunate!

These laws are written by people to whom the very existence of a social safety net is anathema. They don't really want to make the safety net more "fair" by punishing people who make bad choices, they just want to reinforce the meme that anyone on the public dole is a lazy freeloader. So I agree with the author of the piece that this is a misguided effort that will not help actually slim down the obese or rid tobacco users of their addiction.

This has nothing to do with making people healthier, it's about trying to eliminate Medicaid altogether. Same playbook the pro-life forced-pregnancy movement has used for decades now.

#343988 - 02/04/2011 02:24 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tanstaafl.]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Yeah, when I read the article, my initial thoughts were "Doesn't sound like such an unreasonable law to me." and "This author writes like a complete tool for a guy with a Ph.D. after his name."

Anyone feel differently?

EDIT:

One point I do agree with the author on is that there are far better ways to recover these costs. As Tony pointed out, it adds red tape and seems like it might cost more to implement than it recovers for the State.

Edited by JBjorgen (02/04/2011 02:31)

#343989 - 02/04/2011 02:35 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tonyc]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc
Same playbook the pro-life forced-pregnancy movement has used for decades now.

And probably the Nazis too.

#343990 - 02/04/2011 02:40 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Tony -

Do you think it's equally wrong that private health insurance companies charge higher premiums for tobacco users and the obese?

Are they also trying to "reinforce a meme" or are they simply charging more for people who cost more to cover?

#343991 - 02/04/2011 03:21 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

There are many private insurers that I can choose from, but there's only one Medicaid for the poor to choose from. I expect corporations to be amoral, but governments shouldn't be, and needn't be for something that's as much of a blatant Trojan horse as this is.

The extreme right-wing in this country needs scapegoats, and Jan Brewer has found them. In the 1980s it was "strapping young bucks with T-bone steaks", in the 1990s it was "welfare queens," and now it's fat-ass smokers (along with the usual suspects like Mexicans and Muslims.)

Incidentally, I didn't bring up the abortion issue out of the blue -- Arizona just passed a "no abortions based on the race or sex of the child" law, which is another blatant attempt to pass off the real intention of the law (ending abortion) as a humanitarian, egalitarian effort.

You really gotta give it up for these guys for cooking up schemes like this to make these policies seem sensible (provided you don't spend more than 30 seconds looking into them.)

#343992 - 02/04/2011 05:38 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
diminished life expectancy

People live too long already. It used to be the case that you'd work for 40 years, pay into a pension, and then live for maybe another 5 and then die. Now people are living for another 20 years, and wondering why their pensions are worth nothing.

Free smokes and motorbikes to the over 60s, I say.

#343996 - 02/04/2011 12:14 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The main point is that $50 is a big deal to the poor, but chump change for everyone else, including those trying to combat illnesses caused by obesity or smoking. So there's effectively a hefty tax if you're poor, a nominal tax if you're not, and a source of revenue that's not going to help anything.

#343997 - 02/04/2011 12:23 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
. So there's effectively a hefty tax if you're poor, a nominal tax if you're not

If you're not poor, then you're not a Medicaid recipient, so there's not even a nominal tax.

If they were serious about this, they could assess this penalty as a payroll tax increase on everyone who pays into Medicaid who can't quit smoking or control their weight. This isn't a state bill to punish people who've sinned by being obese or smoking, it's a state bill to punish people who've sinned by being obese or smoking while also being poor

#344003 - 02/04/2011 16:58 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tonyc]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
If the health insurance companies are really trying to help people live healthier, then why are smoking cessation drugs not covered by insurance?

I used Chantix to quit, and it's wonderful stuff, but at $300 a month it had better be! For me it was worth it, but I had the extra grand available for the 3 month program. Many smokers do not. It seems to me that the insurance companies would be far better off paying $1000 now rather than the 10's of thousands later, but hey, that's just me.

#344004 - 02/04/2011 17:20 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: lectric]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: lectric
If the health insurance companies are really trying to help people live healthier, then why are smoking cessation drugs not covered by insurance?

I used Chantix to quit, and it's wonderful stuff, but at $300 a month it had better be! For me it was worth it, but I had the extra grand available for the 3 month program. Many smokers do not. It seems to me that the insurance companies would be far better off paying $1000 now rather than the 10's of thousands later, but hey, that's just me.

Because insurance companies don't care about long term since most people change insurance companies because of a new job.

#344005 - 02/04/2011 17:29 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: Attack]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Not to mention that for many of the poor that I work with, giving them $1000 worth of anything is like they won the lottery. It'd be sold in 20 minutes and the money would be spent on food and smokes (and alcohol, drugs and lottery tickets).

Sorry if that sounds jaded.

#344006 - 02/04/2011 17:36 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Which begs the question, is poverty simply of lack of money?

#344010 - 03/04/2011 10:42 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It often gets defined that way. I think of it as more a lack of "essentials", things like quality shelter, food, water, and health care. Plus perhaps a small measure of "disposable" income left over, for life's pleasures.

Something like that?

#344011 - 03/04/2011 10:44 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Oh, and I specifically _exclude_ a huge colour TV and satellite dish from that list. As soon as I see either of those, I rule out poverty.

Cheers

#344014 - 03/04/2011 18:35 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: JBjorgen]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Which begs the question, is poverty simply of lack of money?

Unlikely, as the number of Lottery winners, now broke, is somewhat north of zero.

#344017 - 03/04/2011 19:46 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That problem, I expect, is that people who grew up in poverty became conditioned at an early point, because of the necessity of living paycheck-to-paycheck, to fail to think in the long term. Every dollar needed to be used immediately in order to survive. This, unfortunately, makes it harder to escape from poverty, as any windfall, be it from a lottery or newly gained liquid assets, is immediately spent, and never saved.

My point here is that poverty engenders a psychological response that feeds back into the poverty. I doubt that those born into poverty are genetically predestined to that psychology (though I will admit that it's possible), but that poverty itself causes that symptom.

#344021 - 04/04/2011 00:13 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

That's what I was getting at. Poverty can become cultural in the sense that it can be a learned system of values, beliefs and behaviors passed on from others within the group.

I personally believe that there can be moral and spiritual components to poverty as well, but I'm sure I'm treading on areas you might violently disagree with there.

#344023 - 04/04/2011 06:36 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
because of the necessity of living paycheck-to-paycheck, to fail to think in the long term.

There is also the problem that those who live paycheck-to-paycheck tend to be excluded from more efficient ways to (e.g.) pay bills. For example, if you pay a bill here by direct debit (electronic transfer) you'll pay one rate. If you pay using a top-up card, or by mailing a cheque each month, you'll sometimes pay 5-10% more for the privilege. It can make the difference between having money to save and having nothing to save.

#344026 - 04/04/2011 10:45 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: Attack]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Attack
Because insurance companies don't care about long term since most people change insurance companies because of a new job.

Bingo. This is another argument in favor of a single payer (government run) insurance option -- once you have an entity that needs to pay for someone's care from cradle to grave, they start to think more long term about controlling costs, not just shedding the unhealthy from their rolls.

#344027 - 04/04/2011 10:48 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

because of the necessity of living paycheck-to-paycheck, to fail to think in the long term

This also has an effect on the obesity epidemic, because it's expensive to eat healthy food. We're very good at driving down the cost of fat and calorie-laden fast food and junk food, but not so good at making it cheap to eat a salad.

#344029 - 04/04/2011 13:21 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
because of the necessity of living paycheck-to-paycheck, to fail to think in the long term.
Or, apparently, in the short term.

The average addict smokes a pack and a half of cigarettes a day, at a direct cost of more than $8.00. How far would $3,000 a year go towards alleviating an individual's poverty?

tanstaafl.

#344031 - 04/04/2011 16:22 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You mean the things that were incredibly hard for your special forces friend to kick? Yeah, they're clearly just being short sighted.

#344034 - 04/04/2011 16:37 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tonyc]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
Originally Posted By: tonyc
because of the necessity of living paycheck-to-paycheck, to fail to think in the long term

This also has an effect on the obesity epidemic, because it's expensive to eat healthy food. We're very good at driving down the cost of fat and calorie-laden fast food and junk food, but not so good at making it cheap to eat a salad.

There is cheap healthy food though. I think the problem is if you are hungry and don't eat often enough which are you going to pick- brown rice and beans, or french fries?

#344041 - 04/04/2011 19:33 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: siberia37]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You can get a Burger King Buck Double for, well, a buck. That's over 3 ounces of beef, a piece of cheese, pickle slices, and a bun for $1. Nutrition-wise, that's 410 calories, including 10g of saturated fat, and 740mg of sodium.

On the other hand, beans and rice. I'm not immediately aware of any fast food beans and rice, so let's assume we're cooking at home. A serving of uncooked brown rice is about 3.8 oz, which I can get at my local grocery for $0.27. A serving of beans is about 9 oz, which I can get for $0.36. So that's $0.63. But now I have to cook the rice and heat the beans, which takes money and time. There are actually going to be more calories in this meal: about 550 calories.

So, yeah, you can get beans and rice for less, if you cook it yourself. But not a whole lot less, and it takes time, which is something you don't have a lot of when commuting between your two jobs. And, say what you will about saturated fat, it does make you feel sated.

#344042 - 04/04/2011 20:12 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm not immediately aware of any fast food beans and rice

Do they have no "Mexican" food joints near you? smile

Quote:
So, yeah, you can get beans and rice for less, if you cook it yourself. But not a whole lot less

And that's without anything resembling a fruit, or vegetable.

#344043 - 05/04/2011 01:17 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Heh. I meant no big fast food chains that I could easily compare to. For one thing, I imagine that if it did exist, it wouldn't be any better for you than a burger. As it turns out, though, Taco Bell has both rice and beans as side items. So if you got one of each, that would be 113 grams of food with 290 calories, 3 grams of saturated fat, and 780 mg of sodium.

#344045 - 05/04/2011 01:39 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Incidentally, while we were here trying to figure out whether poor people can afford a decent meal, the GOP announced that they're going to try to take a sledgehammer to Medicaid and Medicare. Looks like the needy are going to have to make their beans and rice rations last a bit longer so they can afford their health coverage.

#344046 - 05/04/2011 02:17 Re: Arizona "sin tax"? [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'd be fine with trying to cut down Medicaid and Medicare if they also showed some sign of slimming down the defense budget. But not a mention of even a penny cut there.

Politics just has me overly frustrated these days, more so then normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >