Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#346727 - 04/08/2011 08:14 New Car
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I don't want to go back and see how long ago it was that I posted I was going to buy a new car and was looking for advice (probably about 4 years). It took a LONG time, but I finally replaced my old 96 Mustang. Basically I replaced my college kid car with a mid-life crisis car (except, I got the Sedan so at least it's somewhat sensible).

Anyway, I'm already in love with this car, and it was definitely worth the wait. It's a red G37 sedan, which is not a color I've seen on the road very much for this model, and it is absolutely smoking (coming from the under powered Mustang, I will likely get a speeding ticket in the next 6 months, though I generally try to stay within reasonable speeds- this car just likes to move).

No empeg system sadly- I'm just dedicating an old 60 gig iPod and hooking it in through USB, which works great (I didn't get the nav system, which would've allowed blue-tooth streaming from my iPhone, so having a dedicated mp3 player prevents me from having to stick my phone in the console every time I get in the car).

I did revisit many of the options (and some new ones) that were brought to my attention back in that old thread, but at the end of the day the G37 seemed to be a perfect mix between sporty and practical for me (the back seats are very comfortable and I will have no problem getting a car seat in there).

We'll see how I feel in a year, but for now I am absolutely in love with this car.

#346748 - 04/08/2011 15:25 Re: New Car [Re: JeffS]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Very nice! Congratulations and best wishes for many safe and enjoyable miles!

#346750 - 04/08/2011 15:46 Re: New Car [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sexy! I've always had an affinity for Infinity, so to speak. Over a decade ago now, my father drove a leased Q45 provided by his work, and every time he traded it in at the end of the lease and got a new one I was impressed all over. Very nice cars.

Do they still do the analog clock thing? smile

#346756 - 04/08/2011 16:45 Re: New Car [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Yup- still has the analog clock.

It's really nice inside- but since I've been sitting in a Mustang without power locks or windows for the last 12 years of my life, it doesn't take much to impress me laugh

#346802 - 08/08/2011 13:03 Re: New Car [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Nice! Glad you finally got to do it.

I like Infiniti pretty well, too, but the gigantic embroidery they had on the seats a few years back turned me way off. Are they still doing that?

#346810 - 08/08/2011 18:19 Re: New Car [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I actually had to go look to see what the embroidery on the seats look like smile

I wouldn't thing it was enormous- here is a pic I found of 2011 seats- mine looks just like this.

http://www.valetvip.com/wp-content/uploa...n-FrontSeat.jpg

#346812 - 08/08/2011 20:15 Re: New Car [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't think too many Japanese companies consider brand dilution by over application of things like logos.

#346813 - 08/08/2011 20:22 Re: New Car [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: JeffS
I actually had to go look to see what the embroidery on the seats look like smile

I wouldn't thing it was enormous- here is a pic I found of 2011 seats- mine looks just like this.

http://www.valetvip.com/wp-content/uploa...n-FrontSeat.jpg

Those look fairly reasonable. Any smaller and they'd look a little silly. I'd rather not have them, but that's hardly a dealbreaker for me.

#346819 - 09/08/2011 09:22 Re: New Car [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I don't think too many Japanese companies consider brand dilution by over application of things like logos.

There are three places on the car that say "Infiniti" (none on the outside).

Other than the seats, you see "Infiniti" on the computer when the car is started (which I find more annoying than the seats) and the illuminated kick plates. The latter are "optional", but I believe every car at the dealer had them. I wouldn't have chosen them, but they are kind of cool. They would be much cooler, though, if they didn't say "Infiniti".

NONE of this annoys me as much as the "Microsoft Sync" stuff on our Ford Escape (which, btw, really works well- the computer in the Ford is easily as good or better than all of the entry level luxury cars that I looked at).

#346851 - 10/08/2011 02:40 Re: New Car [Re: JeffS]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Maybe not as bad as Chevy. My SSR has something like 17 or 18 Chevy bow-ties scattered thru out.

I think the one that really jumped the shark, was where one of the drain holes in the weatherstripping are shaped as a bow-tie. The only time you ever see it it when the top is being retracted and the joint in the weatherstripping is momentarily exposed.