Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#347374 - 13/09/2011 15:30 Google searches started acting weird for me in the last couple days?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Anyone else get this?

Setup:
------
Windows Vista.
Firefox 6.0.2
Adblock plus is installed but I get the same behavior with it disabled.
As far as I know, there are no other HTML-modifying plugins running (i.e., I'm not running NOSCRIPT for example).
No "toolbars" are installed (i.e., no google toolbar or bing toolbar or anything like that).

Steps:
------
- Type a multi-word search term into either the URL field or the google search field in Firefox.
- For example, type "Groovy Language" and press the Enter key.
- Google search results appear on the screen.
- Click the main link of the very first google search result.

Bad result:
-----------
- Instead of going to that link I clicked on, I end up going to the main google search page with a blank search field.
- The BACK button on the browser is grayed out, as if I hadn't clicked on anything.

Additional:
-----------
- If, instead of clicking on the search result, if I CTRL+Click on the search result, it correctly opens a new tab at the search result. It's only a normal click that has the problem.
- Problem does not occur in IE running on the same computer.

Anyone else get this?

#347375 - 13/09/2011 15:47 Re: Google searches started acting weird for me in the last couple days? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Never mind, found it.

It was the "HTTPS Everywhere" add on. Removing it now.

#347377 - 13/09/2011 17:10 Re: Google searches started acting weird for me in the last couple days? [Re: tfabris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Nicely illustrating the tolerance level for inconvenience associated with security wink

#347378 - 13/09/2011 21:22 Re: Google searches started acting weird for me in the last couple days? [Re: tfabris]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Never mind, found it.

It was the "HTTPS Everywhere" add on. Removing it now.
I have been having the same problem. One workaround is to right click 'open in a new tab' on a search result.

Now I need to go find a replacement for https everywhere... Perhaps a fix is in the works?

#347379 - 13/09/2011 21:26 Re: Google searches started acting weird for me in the last couple days? [Re: K447]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
It's probably because they re-enabled the search as you type feature. It seems to slow everything down IMO and causes a lot of headaches on slow computers or just if your computer is currently busy.