Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#362553 - 13/09/2014 11:53 Not mounting a Bootcamp partition on start up?
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hello all!

Trusting the Empeg brain trust again to solve that which is apparently beyond my skills and searching capability

I currently have a dual boot set up on my Macbook (OS X 10.10) and I also have a Windows 8.1 partition setup on the same. I'd like to not be able to have any access from the OS X side to the Bootcamp partition. I've recently set up an secondary user on the OS X side and this user can currently view all flies on the Windows partition. To avoid any confusion and for some minor privacy concerns I'd like to just not have this mount at all. Even for my account I never have a need to access (view only) these files myself when I'm working on the Mac side.

Any suggestions?

#362555 - 14/09/2014 00:15 Re: Not mounting a Bootcamp partition on start up? [Re: petteri]
drakino
carpal tunnel

What Mac is this on?

If it's a newer Mac that supports Windows via UEFI, I believe you can use Microsoft's full drive(partition) encryption called Bitlocker without any manual steps or issues. Encrypting the Windows side would be a secure way to keep the sides separate.

If it's an older one, it's tricker as you have to deal with the limits of some of the BIOS emulation and the partition layout.

List of newer Macs using UEFI for Windows instead of the older BIOS emulator:
Quote:
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

I'm seeing hints of people using /etc/fstab in the past to disable the auto mounting of NTFS volumes. This method might not work anymore under 10.10, and would still allow the other user to manually mount and see the files.

#362556 - 14/09/2014 11:08 Re: Not mounting a Bootcamp partition on start up? [Re: petteri]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
It's a new enough MacBook Pro to support Bitlocker, but I'm not running the Pro version of Windows so that's not available to me unfortunately.

I'll probably just end up wiping the slate clean so to speak and move all of my files over to another machine anyway and just keep a bare bones account on here for admin tasks.

Thanks for the help!